Does Anybody Here Remember Vera Lynn? (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XXVIII ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
What worries me about this whole thing is Fehr probably got some ironclad promises that he won't be overthrown or overruled when they brought him out of 'retirement'. So if Fehr's really free to wage nuclear war (which he can't wait to do) then it's time for me to start liking the NBA again :shakehead

It's pretty much time to put sports in general on the back burner all together.

Not one league is worth watching at the moment for various reasons.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
What worries me about this whole thing is Fehr probably got some ironclad promises that he won't be overthrown or overruled when they brought him out of 'retirement'. So if Fehr's really free to wage nuclear war (which he can't wait to do) then it's time for me to start liking the NBA again :shakehead
i hate this post because im 100% with you...something i swore i would never do, but am forced to do

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Gary Bettman yesterday: "We are ready and willing to meet with the PA anytime."

Gary Bettman today: "We are proposing we don't meet for the next 2 weeks."

I don't think he even knows which end he's talking out of. :facepalm:
Did you even bother reading the context of the '2 week hiatus'?

Kopistar

Jan 28, 2007

Actually, Bettman has stated repeatedly that the NHL is willing to meet if the PA brings a new proposal or if they have a new idea to get the 2 sides closer.

They haven't been willing to do either really, so he now today suggested the 2 week break off.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
I thought the PA was saying how close they were. Reading SFehr's comments make you think incredibly otherwise. Interesting...

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
No they don't.

The owners can easily find replacement players, which will eventually break the NHLPA.

The players can't find 30 different billionaires to start a new league and pay them an average of 2.1M a season.

Very true. The players have no idea what they are gambling with.

DPyro

Jun 28, 2010
Good on Daly to cut through the crap. I wish he would expand on it more however and tell the players no matter what happens they will never agree on a de-linked share of HRR.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I thought the PA was saying how close they were. Reading SFehr's comments make you think incredibly otherwise. Interesting...

and this is why I believe Daly said what he said. I think there is a lot of misinformation going on in the union.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Sure did not take much time for a PA response.

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN
#CBA NHLPA fires back via Steve Fehr: "Of course everyone on the players' side want to reach an agreement. The players have offered the..."

#CBA "...concessions worth about a billion dollars. What exactly have the owners offered the players? We believe that it is more likely..."

#CBA "...that we will make progress if we meet than if we don't. So we are ready to meet. If indeed they do not want to meet, it will be..."

#CBA "...at least the third time in the last three months that they have shut down the dialogue, saying they will not meet unless the ..."

#CBA "...players meet their preconditions. What does that tell you about their interest in resolving this?"
This is the same old rhetoric and just indicates that the Fehrs are not interested in negotiating an end to the lockout but only in stonrealling an agreement while shifting blame to the owners.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
I think the NHL needs to go ahead with its best offer in 2 weeks as a take it or leave it or agree to that framework by December 15th or if not tell them 12/16 the 2012-13 season may R.I.P 2 months before they cancelled it in 2005. Judging from Daly's comments, the league has dropped the gloves and will not flinch on cancelling the season in Mid-December.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

Well, the one thing that happened between these two statements is Fehr's comment (Quoted up-thread) that he didn't know where things should go. Regardless of where it came from and why it gave Bettman a chance to change a bit of his messaging.

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
I stated this 2 months ago and I will repeat it now....WE ARE NOT getting a deal until the players crack and the union divides. It's not a matter of if the union crack, it is a matter of when. Will the crack in time for us fans to see a portion of this season or will they hold together so we miss a season.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I stated this 2 months ago and I will repeat it now....WE ARE NOT getting a deal until the players crack and the union divides. It's not a matter of if the union crack, it is a matter of when. Will the crack in time for us fans to see a portion of this season or will they hold together so we miss a season.

I hope we have NHL hockey this season.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC

This makes sense, do you think if they crack the time to crack will be during these next 2 weeks or sometime in december when most players thought that would be the best chance to get their best deal?

JAX

Apr 7, 2009
Sault Ste. Marie

It's predictable BS from the PA, they are not even close so what does that tell you about the Fehr bros? Smoke and mirrors, lies and deception is what they are all about.

Orrthebest

May 25, 2012
Good on Daly to cut through the crap. I wish he would expand on it more however and tell the players no matter what happens they will never agree on a de-linked share of HRR.

I think this covers that:
They have made essentially one proposal -- five times. They continue to request a "guaranteed" Players Share as part of the next agreement and we repeatedly tell them maybe they should get a reality check.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/179601461.html

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
This is the same old rhetoric and just indicates that the Fehrs are not interested in negotiating an end to the lockout but only in stonrealling an agreement while shifting blame to the owners.

That and stonewalling to get the league to start giving them concessions which they have. I just thought at this point Fehr was just trying to squeeze whatever extra he could out of the league over the recent talks. Instead he got more delusional and demands more with 0 intention of a "fair" compromise.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think the NHL needs to go ahead with its best offer in 2 weeks as a take it or leave it or agree to that framework by December 15th or if not tell them 12/16 the 2012-13 season may R.I.P 2 months before they cancelled it in 2005. Judging from Daly's comments, the league has dropped the gloves and will not flinch on cancelling the season in Mid-December.

No, the league should just come out and say see you next summer, maybe.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
"The players have offered the owners concessions worth about a billion dollars."

They did? When?

its 57percent they think they are entitled to from last cba to 50 this cba x 6 years minus whatever the nhl gives up and add in increases for growth

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Players kept pushing and pushing the league through the media and negotiations and they kept budging. Now the league has pushed back, interested to see how they respond.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
That's why many on this board are with the League, the belief is the owners will never bend, so players will eventually.

That is not the reason why im more towards the league (among other reasons). A big reason for me is that the league was ready to talk as early as November 2011, if they had begun negotiating then, would we even be in this predicament today?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
That's why many on this board are with the League, the belief is the owners will never bend, so players will eventually.

That is not why many are with the league(owners). Many believe Fehr is not negotiating in good faith and has led the players down a dead end path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad