Does anybody else other then me genuinely feel bad for Horachek?

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I feel like he walked into a huge mess. I honestly don't know if another coach could have done much better, considering what he had to work with. And the further they've fallen, they seem to care less and less.

Capuano had the same blank look when he took over for Scott Gordon - most fans thought he wouldn't finish the season. Deer in headlights at post games, shameful. Toronto is far worse because there are dozens more media.

Things can turn quickly though.

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
No, don't feel bad for him at all.

There have likely been dozens of better, or equally as capable coaches, who never got a chance at the NHL level simply because things didn't come together.

Horachek has now had two chances.

Of course, we don't know if he had the knives out for Carlyle and was engaged in any subtle or brazen attempts to get Carlyle sacked. If he was, then **** 'im even more.

I remember after, I believe it was his second game, when they actually got a win. And post-game he made some comment along the lines of "well, we've got the shots down, that's at least one positive sign." As if he was indicating he thought Carlyle's system was one ****ed mess that was going to take forever to untangle.

If only the sad **** knew at that moment he would go on to become quite possibly the most worthless coach in Leafs history (at least in terms of record), and likely the worst beginning record by any coach ever in the history of the NHL.

So, no, **** 'im...

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
I do feel bad for Horachek, his players have totally disrespected him and shown themselves to void of character or professionals.

leafsrock67

Tank Nation Member
Mar 25, 2014
Last year he led the panthers who were definitely not the worst team to the 1st overall pick. This year, he is
About to do the same with the Leafs. Coincidence? I think not!

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
yea, its really quite pathetic the guys signed long term don't have f**ks to give. it's guys whose contracts are on the line like booth, winnik, kadri that're trying. It feels like the team has forgotten that you can skate in the middle of the ice. they just go around shoot from the boards, circle around the boundaries once and go for a change.

Everyone on that 1st line is an embarassment. I feel bad for horachek but i can't say he's going to be part of the solution either.
yea, its really quite pathetic the guys signed long term don't have f**ks to give. it's guys whose contracts are on the line like booth, winnik, kadri that're trying. It feels like the team has forgotten that you can skate in the middle of the ice. they just go around shoot from the boards, circle around the boundaries once and go for a change.

Everyone on that 1st line is an embarassment. I feel bad for horachek but i can't say he's going to be part of the solution either.
Hockey players are just paid mercenaries. They don't feel any sort of loyalty to the fans or the organization. The guys with all the long-term contracts are set for life (Look at all the guaranteed money owed to these players. And this doesn`t include the pro-rated amount still left over from this season! *note these are salaries left on their contract, not cap*

Phil Kessel: $54 million/7 years
Dion Phaneuf: $41 million/6 years
David Clarkson: $27.5 million/5 years
Joffrey Lupul: $15.75 million/3 years
Jake Gardiner: $15.6 million/4 years
James van Riemsdyk: $14.75 million/3 years
Tyler Bozak: $13.5 million/3 years
Komarov $8.85 million/3 years

The guys with the expiring and short-term contracts on the other hand are hungry and are playing for better contracts like you said. But when you are financially set for life like the men I listed above, there's no financial incentive for them to play their hearts out. The only incentive is building a legacy or feeling loyalty to your fans or your team. Which are things that matter less and less to players these days. There is something disturbing about the fact that the players don't give a crap when they are paid several times more than the fans who pay their salaries. But the joke is on the fans who buy the tickets, the merchandise, the jerseys, etc.

Last edited:

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
I don't feel bad at all for him. He's just an average run of the mill coach. Would any serious contender hire this guy to lead them to a Cup?

Sure the players might have tuned him out but that's also telling on him too.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I do not feel sorry for him at all.....he took a job hope that the coach he was working under gets fired so he would get his chance to try to prove he was a better coach then his boss....epic failure!

I have no respect for him at all.....you reap what you sow!

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Yes, but this was foretold from the beginning.

He and Spott were selected since both could be head coaches.

He did turn around the teams mode of play, just that the bad timing cost the team its confidence.

Nonis made another misstep in not canning RC at a different time (hopefully much earlier)

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON

He did turn around the teams mode of play, just that the bad timing cost the team its confidence.

Nonis made another misstep in not canning RC at a different time (hopefully much earlier)

Nonis should have been fired when Burke was fired. He was always an extension of Burke with similar ideologies.

Typical Leafs to keep him around of course.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

If he was the coach from the start of the season we likely would be battling Buffalo for last over all....he is a poor coach. Panik, Oilie and Clarkson with Gardiner and Holland as our second PP unit....my god he is a genius!

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Or is it on purpose?

Playing guys like that on the PP is more likely because he has been told not to let the Leafs do a late season run as they like to.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn't mind if they kept him around as an Assistant. He seems like a good 'glue' guy in terms of how he manages personalities but he doesn't seem like Head Coach material. I also don't know how I feel about allowing a Head Coach to select his own group of assistants because levels of comfort and familiarity have a way of negating some of the positives associated with working with a new staff. Like does a Head Coach like to keep a particular staff because they know their role and they don't provide any bite-back? I'd rather keep individuals challenging themselves to improve if things aren't going well

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
If the Leafs draft McDavid and at some point win the Cup with him, they should put up a statue of Horachek right next to McDavid's so that we will never forget his services here.

This guy far exceeds the rank of tank commander. He is indeed the tank field marshal.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I don't feel bad at all for him. He's just an average run of the mill coach. Would any serious contender hire this guy to lead them to a Cup?

Sure the players might have tuned him out but that's also telling on him too.

wait what?

your suggesting this roster has tuned out ANOTHER coach ALREADY?

you seriously can't be suggesting that,can you?

for the love of gawd you must be kidding

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Toronto went into absolute freefall mode. They were not THIS bad before. The team just doesn't give a crap anymore.

The league should fine the team for deliberately throwing matches. It's one thing to trade upcoming ufas for picks and prospects. It's another to make deliberate personnel selections for the sole purpose of helping us lose (putting Clarkson on the power play STILL for one.)

Every team that misses the playoffs should get equal weighting in the draft lottery and the first 14 picks should be assigned by lottery draw among the non-playoff teams. Deliberate tanking for great draft picks is disgraceful.

you think they are throwing matches???:laugh:

oh man this is pure gold :handclap:

leafstilldeath*

I mean, this goes way beyond if you are a tank nation fan or not.

This team has clearly checked out and they are destroying any possible chance Horachek finds a job with another team after this season.

it really is sad to watch the Leafs right now. No heart, no determination, no motivation, NOTHING!

Thoughts?

Nope don't feel bad for Horachek. Reasons?

-He keeps Clarkson on the 2nd PP unit
-He lets that disaster that is JVR-Bozo-Kessel line still intact
-He lets that disaster line take 1st PP mins every game
-He doesn't reward players that hustle with PP duties
-He lets a PLUG center Kessel while our younger centers in Kadri and Holland have to play with whats left over

so yea,,,,, I don't feel bad for Horachek.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Nope don't feel bad for Horachek. Reasons?

-He keeps Clarkson on the 2nd PP unit
-He lets that disaster that is JVR-Bozo-Kessel line still intact
-He lets that disaster line take 1st PP mins every game
-He doesn't reward players that hustle with PP duties
-He lets a PLUG center Kessel while our younger centers in Kadri and Holland have to play with whats left over

so yea,,,,, I don't feel bad for Horachek.

Those things bother me a lot, espcecially his usage of the 1st line. At the same time, I think playing them a lot has been mandated by management to try and up their value, especially Bozak, who has struggled mightily this season. Basically hoping they go on a hot streak before the deadline, I think.

If he continues to play the line together after the deadline, I will have no rationalization for it. They are atrocious.

With that said, the majority of the players on this team are either not NHL caliber, or just not giving it 100%. He had no chance after the first 6 games. The gave up on the season. The coach is irrelevant.

leafstilldeath*

Those things bother me a lot, espcecially his usage of the 1st line. At the same time, I think playing them a lot has been mandated by management to try and up their value, especially Bozak, who has struggled mightily this season. Basically hoping they go on a hot streak before the deadline, I think.

If he continues to play the line together after the deadline, I will have no rationalization for it. They are atrocious.

With that said, the majority of the players on this team are either not NHL caliber, or just not giving it 100%. He had no chance after the first 6 games. The gave up on the season. The coach is irrelevant.

I would make my peace with it if Bozo is not a leaf post deadline. And yup I agree with you that if he is still a Leaf and still getting the opportunities that he gets now; Horachek indeed is a moron.

My personal opinion is that people stop giving 100% much earlier (when Carlyle was coach) because that coach preached accontability but did not practice it.

Same with Horachek. The players that hustle and give 100% see that they don't get the prime opportunities that is afforded to the likes of Bozo and Clarkson. They get deflated and stop giving a damn.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Lol he'll get hired every year by any team wanting a high draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad