Value of: Does Andrew Shaw have any value?

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
I just wanted to see if Andrew Shaw had any value?

Can play center or wing, plays tough, takes dumb penalties, has concussion issues etc etc etc...

What is your best offer?

please try and keep it civil!

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
before his concussion there was rumeur carolina was interrested...

he would need to get back healthy and play decent hockey to gain value again.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Negative value I'm afraid. Loved him as a player and like him as an individual, but his health issues are way too big of an issue, especially when taking into account that his cap hit is more than what he's worth when healthy.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I could see him being flipped for another bad contract. Trade a problem for a problem.

For example, Vancouver could use some more toughness and agitation in their bottom-six. Maybe a swap for Loui Eriksson?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Right this moment he doesn't have any value. High salary and recent injuries doesn't make him appealing for the rest of the league. Generally you prefer your bottom 6 to give you as little cap problems as possible.

However tables could turn. Cap goes up to 80M and his contract starts to look almost fair for what he brings if he's healthy. Say, he has a good season up until the TDL, i think Montreal could get something of value back. Experience is always valued and he has 2 cup rings, is easy to move around the lineup and can provide that ~30 pts.

So best thing Montreal can do right now is to hold on to him and let him play, they're in no rush to move him, who knows maybe someone is really interested in him couple years from now. All you hope is he plays as well as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fault and Fracture

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I would say he's either a guy you pay to get rid of or maybe you can swap him for an equally ugly contract like Lucic.

I don't see why they'd pay the cost of getting rid of him right now unless their dreams come true and they sign Tavares and want to re-sign Pacioretty to make Johnny T happy.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I would say he's either a guy you pay to get rid of or maybe you can swap him for an equally ugly contract like Lucic.

I don't see why they'd pay the cost of getting rid of him right now unless their dreams come true and they sign Tavares and want to re-sign Pacioretty to make Johnny T happy.

?????

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
At this point I would say that he needs to get back playing and rebuild it. Even if he doesn't have negative value, he's very much in a buy low time.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't believe in negative value, not after I saw Jonas Enroth get moved for a draft pick.

That said his value isn't high

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
before his concussion there was rumeur carolina was interrested...

he would need to get back healthy and play decent hockey to gain value again.

Where was this "rumor" and was it a legit source, or just speculation or just Habs fans/media being hopeful? It's the first I've heard that Carolina was interested in Shaw.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Oilers would trade Lucic 1v1 no retains and then buy out Shaw for 908k over 6 years.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
I just wanted to see if Andrew Shaw had any value?

Can play center or wing, plays tough, takes dumb penalties, has concussion issues etc etc etc...

What is your best offer?

please try and keep it civil!
Of course he is a proven stanley cup champion and playoff warrior.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Negative value I'm afraid. Loved him as a player and like him as an individual, but his health issues are way too big of an issue, especially when taking into account that his cap hit is more than what he's worth when healthy.

I agree with the first part, not the second. The term of the contract is the problem, especially with his health issues. But the dollar figure is about right... maybe 200-300k over if you want to be picky. With the cap going to 80 M, 3.9M represent 4.9% of the cap. If you divide 80 Millions by 23 players it gives you an average salary of 3.48M. For a 35-40 pts player with sand paper and playoff pedigree, that's the dollar figure to expect in this day and age IMO.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
While I'd agree at first blush he doesn't have much value, yet apparently multiple teams inquired about him at the deadline, so food for thought.

AND Montreal said he wasn't available. So while we fans may not see value, apparently some in the NHL do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad