Music: Does an album exist where every track is truly outstanding? (not just good or great)

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Thought of a few more which are less objective.

Green Day's Dookie and American Idiot, as well as Blink 182's Take Off Your Pants and Jacket have to be considered for what they are. Sure, not objectively masterpieces overall but for the pop punk genre specifically they absolutely have to be considered such. I remember Green Day playing Dookie in its entirety at Reading Festival in 2013, because it's that good.

I'm also going to throw in Feeder - Echo Park. Not a very well known band outside of the UK but this is truly an excellent album.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Subjectively, based on my history of listening to music (mainly with a bias/focus towards punk, rock, 90s alternative, indie rock, classic rock, and some metal/ska/hair metal/basically any subgenre of rock), the only album that has come close in recent memory is On the Impossible Past by the Menzingers. Every track, aside from Ava's House and I Can't Seem to Tell, are perfect to me (those two are still great, but are the only weaker tracks of the album IMO). Lyrical masterpiece of an album in my view.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I literally said it's in the context of the genre and not entirely objective. As far as pop punk goes it's as good as it gets.
If it truly qualifies for you, that's fair enough, but I just want to emphasize again that "As good as it gets, relative to its genre" is completely irrelevant to the question being asked here. It's conceivable that even the bar-none greatest album of all time might not qualify. The question is more, "Given that Take Off Your Pants and Jacket gets one of your highest endorsements, does it meet this set of criteria for you?" Is there any single track that, while you might enjoy it, you wouldn't hyperbolically gush about and consider absolutely stellar?

Last edited:

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
I would nominate Violator by Depeche Mode as I think it totally fits the criteria. It is universally loved by hardcore fans, alternative crowd and general public. It sold millions with the band playing stadiums in support of the album.

Violator is groundbreaking and influential. It is a perfect marriage of electronic music with rock and was praised by multiple musicians.

It contains two of DM's songs that everyone knows in any corner of the world (Enjoy The Silence and Personal Jesus) while World in My Eyes, Halo and Policy of Truth were and still are huge hits. As for me, I love every song there with no exception (albeit Personal Jesus is a little overplayed). Blue Dress is actually my favourite song sung by Martin Gore. So yeah, I think it's the perfect album. It is also quite short and that always helps

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I literally said it's in the context of the genre and not entirely objective. As far as pop punk goes it's as good as it gets.

I'd say Enema is closer to the thread topic. That album rips and pretty much any song could have been a single (I know this doesn't define quality, but it does speak to a lot of positive attributes like accessibility and polish). Going Away to College is one of my all time favourites from the band. I love TOYPAJ, but the lyrics didn't age as well (it went a bit too teen angsty at times, when the band was getting older at the time) and it was basically just Enema of the State Part 2 in terms of style/tone/lyrical content/production. Travis' drums really start to shine on that album, though.

Jerry Finn is probably the best producer of all time IMO (I'm largely biased because I really enjoy punk/pop punk). God damn did he get the most out of those 90s/early 2000s pop punk bands. The drums on all the Blink albums he produced (Enema > TOYPAJ > Self-Titled) are soooooo good. It just sounds perfect. I remember reading Travis' biography and he got annoyed with Jerry at times due to how long it would take him to set up all the mics around his drum set, always tweaking them and being so meticulous with how they were arranged. He sounded like a perfectionist, and it really shows.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I'd say Enema is closer to the thread topic. That album rips and pretty much any song could have been a single (I know this doesn't define quality, but it does speak to a lot of positive attributes like accessibility and polish). Going Away to College is one of my all time favourites from the band. I love TOYPAJ, but the lyrics didn't age as well (it went a bit too teen angsty at times, when the band was getting older at the time) and it was basically just Enema of the State Part 2 in terms of style/tone/lyrical content/production. Travis' drums really start to shine on that album, though.

Jerry Finn is probably the best producer of all time IMO (I'm largely biased because I really enjoy punk/pop punk). God damn did he get the most out of those 90s/early 2000s pop punk bands. The drums on all the Blink albums he produced (Enema > TOYPAJ > Self-Titled) are soooooo good. It just sounds perfect. I remember reading Travis' biography and he got annoyed with Jerry at times due to how long it would take him to set up all the mics around his drum set, always tweaking them and being so meticulous with how they were arranged. He sounded like a perfectionist, and it really shows.

That's a good shout, it's a difficult one because Enema is very top-heavy with 3 of their absolute biggest hits but I feel like there is less consistency throughout the album. I am glad someone else gets it though. Of course objectively it's hard to argue for pop punk just because it's not very musically complex. But bands like Blink and Green Day defined a genre and inspired the future generation with these albums. They were equally as influential as bands like Metalllica and The Prodigy even though it's cool for music snobs to hate on them.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Irregardless, I will stand by my original serious (and correct) answer which is the Audioslave self-titled album.

The second half of the album tracks such as Set It Off, Bring 'em Back Alive and Light My Way all sound like they could have been standout singles from Out of Exile but get massively overshadowed by the actual singles from the album like Cochise and Like A Stone which are up there with some of the greatest alt-rock songs of all time.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think it's important to be able to wildly disagree with each other and speak candidly about what we think is great and what we think is trash without overstepping and resorting to using dismissive labels and narratives about the people that disagree, so it sucks that nobody bats an eye whenever someone waves something off as just "it's cool for snobs to hate on them".

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
The Rolling Stones are my favourite band but the only album of theirs I'd say qualifies for this thread is Sticky Fingers. It's not my favourite Stones album, but every song is amazing. I love Exile because it's filled with outstanding songs and has such a great, ramshackle feel but I can't in good conscience say I Just Want to See His Face is outstanding.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I think it's important to be able to wildly disagree with each other and speak candidly about what we think is great and what we think is trash without overstepping and resorting to using dismissive labels and narratives about the people that disagree, so it sucks that nobody bats an eye whenever someone waves something off as just "it's cool for snobs to hate on them".

I agree and wished I cared more about the implications but I'm too careless and borderline solipsistic to ever do anything about it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I agree and wished I cared more about the implications but I'm too careless and borderline solipsistic to ever do anything about it.
It's just a weird double standard I've noticed. If someone gets called a pleb or simpleton or bandwagoner/sheep for liking or not liking something, that seems obviously egregious/unacceptable to everyone and it'll rightfully get jumped on (so people seem to have more self awareness about avoiding being that much of a tool, which is good), but for some reason someone getting called an elitist or snob or poser/contrarian try-hard for liking or not liking something is viewed as totally okay, when it's the exact same thing.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Some picks off the top of my head

(Whats the Story) Morning Glory
Appetite for Destruction
Nevermind
Eliminator
Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends
Rumours

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Oh, I just remembered
Muff Potter - Bordsteinkantengeschichten
would qualify for me as well. I haven't listened to that in ages.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The only two albums I can think of where I might give every song 4 or 5 stars are Sticky Fingers and Highway 61 Revisited.

There's albums I like more than those two, but even albums I absolutely love have one song I'm neutral about: Murmur (9-9), The Dreaming (Night Of The Swallow), Blue (Little Green), LZIV (Four Sticks).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad