Music: Does an album exist where every track is truly outstanding? (not just good or great)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Just want to get a gauge on this. Sometimes when I'm looking for recommendations, it feels like people will call an album a perfect masterpiece even if they acknowledge that it includes lesser/humbler tracks that they don't think as highly of but still see some merit in, as long as it doesn't hurt the flow of the album. I'm not calling that unreasonable, but let's say that this standard isn't good enough to qualify for what we're talking about here. Do any albums exist where without exception, every track is a perfect highlight/standout, even in isolation, in your eyes? Not just "every song is enjoyable and can be played on the radio." I mean where even the weakest track could be considered a brilliant and flawless stand-out/best track on an incredible album.

If the answer is no, don't reach to find something close, just say that you don't think there are any. Otherwise, list them. Be as critical as possible.

Really curious about what people's honest perception of this is. Do you think that there are tons, just a handful, or do you just accept that nothing is quite that thorough?

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Just want to get a gauge on this. Sometimes when I'm looking for recommendations, it feels like people will call an album a perfect masterpiece even if they acknowledge that it includes lesser/humbler tracks that they don't think as highly of but still see some merit in, as long as it doesn't hurt the flow of the album. I'm not calling that unreasonable, but let's say that this standard isn't good enough to qualify for what we're talking about here. Do any albums exist where without exception, every track is a perfect highlight/standout, even in isolation, in your eyes? Not just "every song is enjoyable and can be played on the radio." I mean where even the weakest track could be considered a brilliant and flawless stand-out on an incredible album.

If the answer is no, don't reach to find something close, just say that you don't think there are any. Otherwise, list them. Be as critical as possible.

Really curious about what people's honest perception of this is. Do you think that there are tons, just a handful, or do you just accept that nothing is quite that thorough?
They are rare. I only have a handful.
Weezer - Pinkerton
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Scumbucket - Finistra
New Model Army - No Rest for the Wicked

That's all I can think of right now. I have probably more.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Talking Heads have come close I'd say. To me, Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues are two of the best albums ever front to back. Now I'll have to go give them another listen and see if they really are as good as I think

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I feel that most of my favorite albums put the bar high enough that even the "weaker" songs are way better than most artists/bands' discographies... In that regard, I think there should be quite a handful of albums meeting here demands. I just listened to Nina Simone's Pastel Blues. That's one.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kind of Blue--Miles Davis
Loveless--My Bloody Valentine

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Gorillaz: Demon Days
Tame Impala: Lonerism

Off the top of my head. I'll add more as they come to me

Edit: Actually, I think there's plenty of good/great complete albums. Obviously it's all subjective and most may not qualify as "outstanding" but that may bee too rigid of a distinction (no offense Sharee).

Was just talking about this with my wife last night actually. Maybe it's nostalgia, but it seems like newer music focuses less on making a complete album experience now and it's more about the singles and hits. I'm not sure if this is just me being an old man yelling at a cloud type of thing or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: bearcountry17

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I think Tago Mago is the only one that really fits that description for me. Most of my other favourite records, while I still think every track on them is excellent, they have tracks that are obviously not standouts when compared to the peaks of the track listing (the title track on Pet Sounds, Design: 1 on Velocity: Design: Comfort, etc.)

Tago Mago is the only album where it reaches such a high peak and also literally any track on it could be my favourite at any given moment. Here Come the Warm Jets also comes close, though it's interesting to me that I probably still prefer VDC over both of those records.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Gorillaz: Demon Days
Tame Impala: Lonerism

Off the top of my head. I'll add more as they come to me

Edit: Actually, I think there's plenty of good/great complete albums. Obviously it's all subjective and most may not qualify as "outstanding" but that may bee too rigid of a distinction (no offense Sharee).

Was just talking about this with my wife last night actually. Maybe it's nostalgia, but it seems like newer music focuses less on making a complete album experience now and it's more about the singles and hits. I'm not sure if this is just me being an old man yelling at a cloud type of thing or not.
You're absolutely right there. A lot of modern artists are making an effort to get that viral single instead of releasing an excellent record, almost like how popular music was before the 1960s. It has also become a trend to just load up an album with 24 tracks to get more streams instead of trimming the album down to its best songs.

Oxbow Lakes

Jun 1, 2015
Finland
I think Future Days by Can is the one closest to this for me, ”Moonshake” being the ’weakest link’ (still a great little track!) Others that come to mind are Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth, Any Other City by Life Without Buildings and The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society, all of them being consistently great thoroughly. Can’t say every track is outstanding though about any album I’ve heard... guess I’m being just picky :pout:

EDIT: Yeah, so I definitely should have read the OP... No, i don’t think there is an album like that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad