Do you want the NHL to resume play this season

Do you want the NHL to resume play this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I love those shots of the Korean Pro Baseball league with their cardboard cutouts in the stands. Now that's the ultimate definition of 'papering the house'!

Watching two NHL teams waging a life and death playoff struggle inside a dead, empty arena is going to take some getting used to. Sort of like watching a Beer League final at 11 p.m. at Eight Rinks, albeit with a lot higher skill level.

But if it means crowning a Cup Champion, I guess it'll be worth it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would say I'm not invested anymore. More concerned about more day to day life things than Hockey. But, hockey returning would hopefully signal that things are beginning to get back to some form of how they used to be in early March.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I will welcome hockey back with open arms , although the investment won’t be there for the Canucks anymore this season for me. Whoever wins the cup ( if played ) will have a huge asterisk beside it. So in that sense .. yes let’s watch some hockey , but I don’t really want the Canucks to win this year.

we wouldn’t even be able to have a parade .

the bars won’t be packed and it will feel stale. Games won’t be played in Rogers arena. No fans.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I will welcome hockey back with open arms , although the investment won’t be there for the Canucks anymore this season for me. Whoever wins the cup ( if played ) will have a huge asterisk beside it. So in that sense .. yes let’s watch some hockey , but I don’t really want the Canucks to win this year.

the bars won’t be packed and it will feel stale. Games won’t be played in Rogers arena. No fans.
We can have a parade in groups of 49.

Weeeeee

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Most dissenting opinions I see surrounding the notion are in regards to viability and safety. I have to assume those have no bearing on the poll question. If they're finishing the season, it's because it's safe and logistically reasonable to do so. It's asking what you want.

So, with that in mind, I want everyone to get to the same amount of regular season games, and then run a full playoff bracket from the results. It's the only completely fair solution. Again, this is with safety being a non-issue.

To me, no solution is worse than scrapping the current season. I would rather they shorten next season. I would rather they cancel next season entirely. Having most of the season already played and have it amount to ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.....it really would put a damper on hockey in general. It would really affect how much I would care to watch in the future, and I wouldn't be the only one feeling that way. To erase an entire season is completely contradictory to the integrity of professional sports. Personally, I don't care if we have to wait until February 2021.

Oh, and anybody who says a finished season would be too gimmicky is being absurd, they literally awarded the Cup after a 48-game season less than a decade ago...we literally still have shootouts deciding playoff seeding...so that argument, to me, just doesn't even exist

People have been taking this "stay at home" too far in BC, there has been no such order and all activities that can be done safely are not only allowed, but even encouraged, if you listen to Bonnie Henry.
I'm an "abundance of caution" type of person. That's why I wash my hands frequently, I don't touch my face, and I keep distance from others when I'm outside. My mother used to work infection control, and you can really hear the belly-laugh when she talks about people wearing masks in their own cars. I think of those people when I see people call for the cancellation of the season. It's an overreaction. This, of all times, is not the time for overreaction. That's how seniors end up without toilet paper....

Last edited:

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Most dissenting opinions I see surrounding the notion are in regards to viability and safety. I have to assume those have no bearing on the poll question. If they're finishing the season, it's because it's safe and logistically reasonable to do so. It's asking what you want.

So, with that in mind, I want everyone to get to the same amount of regular season games, and then run a full playoff bracket from the results. It's the only completely fair solution. Again, this is with safety being a non-issue.

To me, no solution is worse than scrapping the current season. I would rather they shorten next season. I would rather they cancel next season entirely. Having most of the season already played and have it amount to ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.....it really would put a damper on hockey in general. It would really affect how much I would care to watch in the future, and I wouldn't be the only one feeling that way. To erase an entire season is completely contradictory to the integrity of professional sports. Personally, I don't care if we have to wait until February 2021.

Oh, and anybody who says a finished season would be too gimmicky is being absurd, they literally awarded the Cup after a 48-game season less than a decade ago...we literally still have shootouts deciding playoff seeding...so that argument, to me, just doesn't even exist

I'm an "abundance of caution" type of person. That's why I wash my hands frequently, I don't touch my face, and I keep distance from others when I'm outside. My mother used to work infection control, and you can really hear the belly-laugh when she talks about people wearing masks in their own cars. I think of those people when I see people call for the cancellation of the season. It's an overreaction. This, of all times, is not the time for overreaction. That's how seniors end up without toilet paper....
Assuming safety has been put first, I have to agree with you about wanting a true ending to the 2019-20 season, even if it means delaying and shortening the coming season.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

No, it wouldn't.

Also, beggars can't be choosers. I would easily take a Cup this year. No one would ever forget the Canucks winning in a year like this and that's what would be amazing.

Reactions: skeena1

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
No, it wouldn't.

Also, beggars can't be choosers. I would easily take a Cup this year. No one would ever forget the Canucks winning in a year like this and that's what would be amazing.

If it's anything less than 4 rounds of best of 7, the team who wins will have a massive asterisk next to it.

Reactions: MS

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Assuming safety has been put first, I have to agree with you about wanting a true ending to the 2019-20 season, even if it means delaying and shortening the coming season.

just curious why would you be ok with a shortened 2020-2021 season but not a shortened 2019-2020 season?

or do you mean your ok with a shortened 2020-2021 regular season with a full playoff if we get a full playoff in 2020?

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
just curious why would you be ok with a shortened 2020-2021 season but not a shortened 2019-2020 season?

or do you mean your ok with a shortened 2020-2021 regular season with a full playoff if we get a full playoff in 2020?
I'd prefer that they drop what's left of this year's regular season. With whatever formula the NHL chooses to determine who made the playoffs, be it points % (my preference) or the standings after 68 games, then those playoff teams have a training camp and play the full 4 rounds of 7 games. This gives a finale to the 2019-20 season games that have been played. Again, this is on the assumption that safety has been the first priority.

No resolution at all to this season is worse than a shortened 2020-21 season that's in the future, in my opinion.

Reactions: Orr4Norris

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If it's anything less than 4 rounds of best of 7, the team who wins will have a massive asterisk next to it.

Considering the NHL has outright start they will play well into September if needs be. I think they're more or less open to delaying next season just to complete this one and avoid that exact scenario.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
There's a big difference between what I want - the season to continue this evening and for them to finish all 82 games and an unabridged playoff - and what's potentially feasible. The latter may be something like best-of-3 (round of 16 through to semis) for the top 8 teams in each conference by win percentage and maybe a best-of-7 for the the finals. This would mean hockey played through August. That would mean the season resumes early July with virtually no preseason to shake off the rust.

Better than nothing. But still the potential to go sideways if we see a spike in cases.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I tried to address that.

1, They remove the teams that can not mathematically make the playoffs.

2. All remaining teams play 72 games. And no more.

3, Part of the point is they will need a bit of work to get into playing condition. The teams at 71 only play one, so they don't get as much conditioning but they get to rest more.

4. Remaining games played in division only, unless 2 teams can't get too that number. Then they play each other. If one team is stuck at 71 after this, they are prorated to their position. Also, Since these will be played in one city (one city for each division) travel really isn't an issue. It could be done in 5 days.

5. Arrange the remains games so that the teams who are suppose to play each other.

You still haven't answered the question of how teams punch out at 72 and the remaining play each other. How do you determine a fair set of matchups when teams on the bubble had games coming up with those non playoff teams you kicked out and now they get to play a team or 2 that's near the top of the heap instead? You don't think there will be some major bitching at the unfairness of a newly constructed schedule when teams already in may have had a feast on those teams you now kicked out off the schedule?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
You still haven't answered the question of how teams punch out at 72 and the remaining play each other. How do you determine a fair set of matchups when teams on the bubble had games coming up with those non playoff teams you kicked out and now they get to play a team or 2 that's near the top of the heap instead? You don't think there will be some major bitching at the unfairness of a newly constructed schedule when teams already in may have had a feast on those teams you now kicked out off the schedule?

So just cancel the season? Play within the division, remove those teams that can't make the playoffs, and have the remaining teams play the other teams that matter. Is this perfect? No. If you have another idea feel free. I think this isn't bad. The world is a different place now. It is not ever going to be the same. Pardon the term, but the world is f***ed. I would still like them to somehow finish the season. feel free to offer alternatives.

This pandemic sucks, and people are dying. I would like some hockey, and its not going to be fair.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd prefer that they drop what's left of this year's regular season. With whatever formula the NHL chooses to determine who made the playoffs, be it points % (my preference) or the standings after 68 games, then those playoff teams have a training camp and play the full 4 rounds of 7 games. This gives a finale to the 2019-20 season games that have been played. Again, this is on the assumption that safety has been the first priority.

No resolution at all to this season is worse than a shortened 2020-21 season that's in the future, in my opinion.
I would hope that whatever happens to the 20-21 regular season, that they end the playoffs by the regular time of mid June. Can’t keep pushing back the 21-22 season.

If the goal is to get teams to 72 regular season games probably the best way is for teams who have played the same number of games to play each other.

Isles and Canes are both at 68 games. So, best solution for them to play either a home and home or twice at a neutral site with each having last change. Gets them to 70 games afterwards.

it’s already May 10 now. Games won’t begin until closer to Memorial Day in the US at the end of May at this pace. Best case the season and cup is awarded at the end of July or beginning of August.

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I don’t think I want the season to start to be honest. Too much time has passed and it would just be too much of a mental strain on players to try and recreate the pre-playoff intensity/panic.

Just call a spade a spade and close the season. Start up brand new in September or January.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
It was mentioned on 1040 that fights and scraps might be banned. I'm not sure that playoff hockey without fans and without even the possibility of a fight or even a facewash is really worth it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I just don't see how it could work.

You get the teams and their families all in one city, you quarantine them for 14 days, you start things up ... and then 10 days in one of the players' wives manages to contract COVID from a grocery shopping excursion. And then what? We're right back in the same situation we were in before. As soon as one team has to be quarantined again, the whole house of cards falls down and you can't continue.

Reactions: bandwagonesque

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

You get the teams and their families all in one city, you quarantine them for 14 days, you start things up ... and then 10 days in one of the players' wives manages to contract COVID from a grocery shopping excursion. And then what? We're right back in the same situation we were in before. As soon as one team has to be quarantined again, the whole house of cards falls down and you can't continue.
Especially with how the observance of social distancing seems to be slackening in cities right now. One team would get an outbreak, then in all likelihood the team they're playing, assuming the playoffs have started, would have to quarantine and would have no team to play anyway.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory

This is the biggest sticking point. How many players in the NHL? Then you count essential family members (wives/significant others, and children) that it would be inhumane to mandate separation from, plus all the coaching and support staff. I would guess that is easily 80+ people per team that would have to be monitored and routinely tested, and any one of whom pose a threat of catching and/or transmitting the virus. Ballpark math lands me at around 2500 total people needing to be cared for and monitored by the league.

And it would be a tremendous waste of resources.

Cancel the season. It is the only ethical thing to do.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Especially with how the observance of social distancing seems to be slackening in cities right now. One team would get an outbreak, then in all likelihood the team they're playing, assuming the playoffs have started, would have to quarantine and would have no team to play anyway.

Yup.

It's interesting the league is insisting on playing in NHL cities. Like, the interior is down to 3 known active cases now. You could put teams in Kelowna/Kamloops/Cranbrook/Trail etc. with a fraction of the risk of putting them in a major urban area. It still probably wouldn't work, but maybe there would be a chance?

In Vancouver? Good luck having a block of probably 5000 players/family members/officials/support staff go for a 1-2 month period with zero exposures.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Yup.

It's interesting the league is insisting on playing in NHL cities. Like, the interior is down to 3 known active cases now. You could put teams in Kelowna/Kamloops/Cranbrook/Trail etc. with a fraction of the risk of putting them in a major urban area. It still probably wouldn't work, but maybe there would be a chance?

In Vancouver? Good luck having a block of probably 5000 players/family members/officials/support staff go for a 1-2 month period with zero exposures.
I've also mentioned elsewhere that if you were to devise a way of transmitting a respiratory virus as effectively as possible, it would look like hockey or basketball. Let's all engage in aerobic exercise, breath as heavily as possible, hurl ourselves at each other, scream and spit in each other's faces, maybe fight, then go sit down on a bench right beside one another and talk.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Bill Daly has said one positive test doesn’t necessarily shut things down. The UFC just had a fighter test positive and they went ahead with their event.

There will be no sports for another 1.5 years at minimum if we’re waiting for no one to test positive.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Bill Daly has said one positive test doesn’t necessarily shut things down. The UFC just had a fighter test positive and they went ahead with their event.

There will be no sports for another 1.5 years at minimum if we’re waiting for no one to test positive.

UFC fighters are one on one fights though.

A test positive case of an NHL player means they may have been shedding viral load before the test positive and spreading to their teammates, training staff, coaching staff, family, and the other team. For the most part NHL'ers are young and healthy, but there are also players with diabetes for one, but a ton of the training staff/management/coaching staff are men over 55, which is the number one risk category.

Reactions: bandwagonesque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad