Do you want the NHL to resume play this season

Do you want the NHL to resume play this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
At this point, do you want the NHL to resume play this season? If we're talking about an 82 game season and usual playoff format I think most would like that. What if they shorten the regular season, start the playoffs where winning percentage is used to determine who gets in, or change the playoff format such as allowing more or less teams into the playoffs or have best of 5 series?

Personally, I think I'm between having some more regular season games or going by winning percentage but maintaining the playoff structure. If they need to go best of 5 or something like that I think they may as well scrap it as the Cup winner will forever have an asterix.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
For the health and safety of the players, absolutely not. Just scrap this season and let’s hope and pray that we can have a half season starting in January of 2021. 2020 should be completely done though.
I’m here for this 100%

There’s nothing wrong with a partial season and real playoffs after having had a proper training camp.

This year is shot and should be let wither and die.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Scrap the season and playoffs, start fresh next year if possible.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I’m here for this 100%

There’s nothing wrong with a partial season and real playoffs after having had a proper training camp.

This year is shot and should be let wither and die.

honestly, they should just forget about this season and start planning NOW for a half season for 2021 and how to go about doing it.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
honestly, they should just forget about this season and start planning NOW for a half season for 2021 and how to go about doing it.
If there were a way for it to further expose Benning, I would be all for more hockey. But he’s bulletproof for at least one more offseason. So I would prefer the err on the side of extreme caution.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I think if its a single site, no fans, quarantined in a hotel with regular testing, and they are required to have a self-isolation plan when they return home I don't see why this is any more dangerous than their daily lives. At home they'll still need to get groceries, will still leave their homes for walks or needed supplies from time to time, and as I'm sure we've seen around our own neighbourhoods if they have toddlers they don't always follow physical distancing guidelines. Is that any more dangerous than if they are quarantined in a controlled environment with every conceivable precaution taken?

Ultimately, it will likely come down to an agreement between the NHL and NHLPA. I lean towards the vast majority of players being keen on salvaging a bit of revenue from this season to help their paycheques.

Reactions: Luckylarry

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
At this point, how many players are in game shape? None of them have been able to skate in nearly a month, as far as I know. There'd have to be two weeks of quarantining and testing (when reasonably accurate tests are on the market, which should be soon) and further physical deterioration followed by about three weeks of daily training to get this going. I just don't see it.

Reactions: racerjoe

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Absolutely yes, and they will come back. We will be watching games on TV/Internet, but the rinks will be empty. Having fans at games is going to be where there is change. Masks might be mandatory. And numbers allowed will (likely?) be greatly reduced.
But sports will come back.
Isn’t there a golf tournament in Surrey next week, at Morgan Creek?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think if its a single site, no fans, quarantined in a hotel with regular testing, and they are required to have a self-isolation plan when they return home I don't see why this is any more dangerous than their daily lives. At home they'll still need to get groceries, will still leave their homes for walks or needed supplies from time to time, and as I'm sure we've seen around our own neighbourhoods if they have toddlers they don't always follow physical distancing guidelines. Is that any more dangerous than if they are quarantined in a controlled environment with every conceivable precaution taken?

Ultimately, it will likely come down to an agreement between the NHL and NHLPA. I lean towards the vast majority of players being keen on salvaging a bit of revenue from this season to help their paycheques.
Hearing numbers like 50% escrow, and absolutely the players will want to play. They will not be having their families with them though. The players will be isolated for as long as they are involved in games. Logistically that’s why I think there will only be playoffs. 16 teams is just easier to control than 31. Then, after round one, there are only 8 teams.
I wonder when this can start? June?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Hearing numbers like 50% escrow, and absolutely the players will want to play. They will not be having their families with them though. The players will be isolated for as long as they are involved in games. Logistically that’s why I think there will only be playoffs. 16 teams is just easier to control than 31. Then, after round one, there are only 8 teams.
I wonder when this can start? June?

I think they are willing to play into August, maybe even further, but haven't really kept up with things lately. Start from at least August, and work backwards to get a start date.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think they are willing to play into August, maybe even further, but haven't really kept up with things lately. Start from at least August, and work backwards to get a start date.
I wonder which of the big sports will start first? Might they work together, and start at the same time? A local golf course here is hosting a tournament next week. Maybe the PGA can start first?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I wonder which of the big sports will start first? Might they work together, and start at the same time? A local golf course here is hosting a tournament next week. Maybe the PGA can start first?

PGA is already getting ready to start I think. My bet is MLB for actual major leagues.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
In terms of format, I think we have to have some regular season, if for nothing other than as an exhibition to get the players ready for the playoffs. Even if its just 4-5 games. Some level of legitimacy is important for determining playoff teams. I think playing some games is the best option here, doesn't have to be full 82. Secondly, reasonably close to full playoffs as possible. Best of 5 doesn't seem unreasonable to me if we need to prevent this from going into September. These are all negotiable, while the safety of the players, coaches, broadcasters, support staff etc. is absolutely non-negotiable.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Logistically it'd be really tough to resume play right now without taking on at least *some* significant risk to the players/coaches/support staff.

You could gather all 16 playoff teams in one location, keep everyone isolated in a hotel, and test every single person every single day.

But the tests still have a pretty high rate of false negatives. And a single undetected case could spread quickly with everyone in close quarters and playing full contact hockey.

The players themselves might want to take that risk, but does the league? And what about players who want to opt out? I personally wouldn’t feel great about it as a fan, much as I miss hockey. (And yes, I realize this isn't Ebola and the risk is still ultimately pretty low and also I'm a hypocrite because I was perfectly happy to watch players bash each other in the head and risk brain injury, etc. etc.)

Dunno. I'm pretty skeptical that hockey will even return by the fall, at least not until we see major advances in testing and treatments.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuck Frump

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Good look pitching the NHLPA on having their members completely isolated from their families (many with young children) in the middle of a crisis so that they can play games in empty stadiums in like northern Saskatechewan or one of the Dakotas for months at a time.

Cancel the season, start planning scenarios for 20/21 season.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
If they do scrap the season, I wonder if some sort of compensatory picks may be available for rentals that were acquired at the deadline, but were not re-signed. Those picks would have to factor into NEXT years draft, but I think something like that might be a good idea in the spirit of fairness of this whole thing. The NFL gives compensation picks when UFAs leave, so there is a precedence for something like that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I suppose "want" and "think they should" are two pretty different things in this context. Want, sure, but I don't think it's a good idea without a full all-clear.

Yeah, I mean I want to watch hockey ... but there’s no way it’s going to happen.

BC might be in a state where something could be feasible shortly, but the cesspool in the Eastern US where most teams are located is months and months from sorting itself out.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I supposed i want to resume the season so they could failed miserably, and that will be the end of Benning's tenure in Vancouver, hopefully.

Reactions: Didalee Hed

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
If they can do it all safely then I am all for it. Would bring some much needed excitement these days.

The logistics are duanting though. Anyone who touches anything would need to be tested.

Imagine...Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, Vancouver vs Boston rematch...a surprisingly healthy Canucks team led by EP40, Hughes, Brock, and Bo have come back from 3-0 down with all the momentum to crush the Bruins. Minutes before the game starts, it is announced that, for the sake of privacy, let's call him Loui E....no that's too obvious...L Eriksson...has been diagnosed with COVID-19 and the Canucks forfeit the Stanley Cup.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I suppose "want" and "think they should" are two pretty different things in this context. Want, sure, but I don't think it's a good idea without a full all-clear.

That's where I'm at. Do I want NHL hockey, in whatever format they come up with? Well yah. I like hockey.

But realistically, they can't do it. It just shouldn't be possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: