Do you want the NHL to resume play this season

Do you want the NHL to resume play this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Yup.

It's interesting the league is insisting on playing in NHL cities. Like, the interior is down to 3 known active cases now. You could put teams in Kelowna/Kamloops/Cranbrook/Trail etc. with a fraction of the risk of putting them in a major urban area. It still probably wouldn't work, but maybe there would be a chance?

In Vancouver? Good luck having a block of probably 5000 players/family members/officials/support staff go for a 1-2 month period with zero exposures.

Edmonton is very close. Latest data shows 0 active hospitalized cases:

upload_2020-5-13_12-55-1.png

Manitoba also reported zero new cases yesterday, so maybe Winnipeg is a contender too.

I think it will come down to how many cities the NHL wants.

If Edmonton is chosen as a NHL playoff city, that boost to the local economy alone would justify the additional logistics around ensuring any new cases are truly isolated.

Agreed however, that it would be an enormous logistical undertaking, one that I'm really not sure the NHL is equipped for.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Right now is probably the safest time to have sports. Vancouver and Edmonton have done more than just flatten the curve....like, what else is expected at this point?

People who keep screaming "cancel the damn season" obviously haven't been aware that there has been speculation on if a second wave comes back this winter. Cancelling this season and starting next season on time, literally has no guarantee that is the safer option at all. I'm a lot more skeptical of next season than I am this year because of the unknown of what happens this winter.

BC alone could host the entire NHL - when did flatten the curve become we need a cure? What else are we expected to do when BC has done a lot more than just flatten the curve.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Parroting the same points made by the Barstool Sports founder (who in the same breath also called Dr. Fauci one of this century's greatest criminals) is not a good look, FYI.

Listen to your health officials.

I feel sorry for people that take Dave seriously. :laugh: Yeah, and they are opening things up again. :laugh:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I wonder if the NHL ends up opening up again in some capacity what kind of backlash a player would face if they refused to return to play?

Like a scenario where the player would have good reason to not come back, either health concerns with themselves or family, not wanting to leave their family for the expected time, not having faith in the safety of the expected return etc.

I'm sure in some ways their teammates would get it, but perhaps still hold ill feelings. Fans would probably light them up for it.

Imagine if Jacob Markstrom refused to come play because of any number of reasons. Or I can't think of a specific example, but if a player had a spouse that was immunocompromised.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
My point is while you are correct, when you are using the same talking points Barstool sports is to rile up their weirdo alt right fanbase, it makes you correct for the wrong reason.
I’m correct for the wrong reason.

That’s enough internet for me today.

Reactions: Jay Cee

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
So according to the province, my idea is pretty much the scenario they are going for, but with a different playoff set up. 4 divisions 4 locations minimize travel. And I would suggest that wives can't travel with the teams, if the players want to play. They don't for road games anyways.

Ben Kuzma: Horgan pumps B.C.’s playoff tires, Kelowna may co-host in NHL scenario

Basically quarantine the players who are still in the playoffs for the duration ....

I still like the idea of a 5 game format and perhaps best of 7 for the finals.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
If they restart the season people are going to be wearing out one of their keyboard keys writing about it.

asterisk-keyboard.png

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
none of this reopening talk makes any sense.

just from a risk management perspective, wouldn't they stand to lose way more money getting everything in place to quarantine the players, building in all the safety and testing infrastructure, medical equipment and supplies stockpile, and whatever else i can't even think of that they'd need before they could start up, and then if/when someone gets sick or god forbid lots of people do, shutting it all down? and for what? it's a gate-driven league and there is no gate. there is no 600,000 households paying $50 each to watch on pay per view.

and then i can't even imagine you'd even consider doing this knowing how much you'd be vilified if a single player got sick, let alone there being an outbreak in the cluster and potentially leaking out into the previously under control city you've decamped into.

the tinfoil hat part of me wonders whether this is all a wink wink nudge nudge agreement between the NHL and NBA to keep pretending they're coming back to keep the sports media alive with will-they-or-won't-they programming.

the only leagues i can imagine being serious about this are the NFL and MMA/WWE, because those leagues have never cared whether their athletes die, or if anyone else dies for that matter.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
B.C. is really pumping the tires on becoming a neutral site hub if the NHL season resumes.

Rogers Arena; the Pacific Coliseum; the LEC and the Mitchell Arena at UBC are all being touted as potential venues, because they all have pro-style dressing-rooms for players and referees; fitness centers and workout rooms; and food services available.....one of the major benefits of hosting the Olympics in 2010 I guess,was that most of these facilities were either built or renovated.

I'm beginning to think that Vancouver as a host city for neutral site games might have some legs after all. Of course it doesn't hurt that B.C. has so far done a far more effective job of controlling the spread of the virus, compared to Quebec, Ontario or even Alberta.

Although without fans, neutral site games in Vancouver would have a negligible impact on the economy, it would still be exciting. Bring it on!

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Dallas and Minnesota have been narrowed down as potential hub cities.

Vancouver is 100% going to host games, if things get underway.

24 team format is looking very likely now.

Reactions: David71

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Dallas and Minnesota have been narrowed down as potential hub cities.

Vancouver is 100% going to host games, if things get underway.

24 team format is looking very likely now.

As far as I've read it seems more likely Edmonton and Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad