Do you want Milan Lucic on the oilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
With Maroon and Kassian here what hole does Lucic actually fill?

Lots of money spent on very little improvement in the lineup.

I'd rather have Maroon with McDavid than a toolbrain like Lucic becoming unglued at the worst possible times.

Despite production Lucic was a liability on the Kings at times. I wonder how much of a distraction he was as well.

Finally, name me one player on the SJ Sharks lineup that was intimidated by Lucic this playoffs. Or one contenting team player all season that was.

Does Lucic really cause appreciable backing up in opponents? Not to any degree that impacted outcomes.

Big difference between LA and Edmonton last season. LA had other physical players in King, Nolan, Clifford, Andreoff, etc who all can defend themselves.

Edmonton did not dress Kassian or Maroon together all 82 games where you do have teams who are guaranteed to take shots at this young team.

McDavid is a target and Puljujarvi will ultimately become a target

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think the diff is more about 20pts at this point with Maroon numbers probably increasing with experience and use.

I'm not a fan of Lucic, I really tried to like him in LA. In the end his meltdowns and stupid penalties cost the Kings, even in the playoff round.

I keep thinking as well that Lucic was not all that well liked in LA. Just a feeling I get. I

The interesting thing is Lucic really wanted to remain a KIng, but they had zero interest in extending him.
https://www.nhl.com/news/lucic-enjoys-l-a-wants-to-re-sign-with-kings-report/c-798919

The Kings tried to extend him, don't kid yourself. Just didn't get an agreement done that fit the Kings rather restrictive cap situation.

As for maroon, I really liked what he did here. Obviously, who wouldn't? But I'm a little bit hesitant to his long term success. Dude was lights out here for around 20 games. But I can't help but think some of that was just an unsustainable hot streak.

Lucic is a good player. But the money/term would need to be right and I'm afraid his signing basically guarantees a hall trade.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
in what remote way would Lucic contribute to the team winning more games?

Did Lucic REALLY help even the former SC champ LA KINGS?

Plus the Oilers have been spending close to cap for years. Spending hasn't really been the issue, at all. Like not in ANY sense.

Lucic is a better player than most players on the Oilers, that's one way he helps the team win.

I agree with you if their plan is to move Hall for a decent defender, but there's no harm in adding Lucic to the forward group.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Lucic is twice the player that Maroon is. Maroon makes a lot of braindead plays too but you love the guy (as do I). Lucic is Maroon except he is meaner, a better skater and far more skilled. What's not to love? The contract will be an overpayment but such is life in free agency.

I want the Oilers to be the bullies for once, to impose their will on the opponent. Maroon and Kassian are good starts but Lucic changes the equation completely.
My one worry is that Chia is becoming a bit too fixated on size at the expense of speed so after signing Lucic enough is enough.

Disclosure that I think Lucic is an idiot. A guy that is often enough a distraction when he's not taking stupid penalties. A guy that on and off the ice manages to get into some really stupid ****. A moron.

To make it clear what my opinion is. ;)

in anycase I would rather have Maroon at his contract price than Lucic at his contract price any day of the week.

Ah but I got this feeling that for the 2nd year in a row now I have to cheer for this fool. I wondered what the Kings were doing getting Milan. Looks like they learned form their mistake. Now its the Oilers problem in all likelihood.

JonSnow

Jun 8, 2016
This team has been a pile of ***** for 10 years, the joke of the NHL and I hear people complaining 6 years at 6+ mill is too much.

Are you kidding me? This has to end, its time to start winning now. This joke of an organization has been about "building the future" and "looking ahead to next year" for a decade now. Who cares if in the last year or two of his contract he'll be overpaid. This franchise needs a huge culture and attitude change and Lucic is one of those guys that will do that.

Is he worth 6 mill a season, probably not. Ideally i think 5 years at 5 per would be great but that won't happen. I'm fine with 6x6 or 6 years 6.5 per.

My guess is Lucic gets closer to 7m/year. Maybe it's an overpayment but how can the oilers justify giving him less money than Eberle or RNH. It's still worth it. He brings so much to the table.

As for freeing up money for a Dman, move Eberle Pouliot Yak and/or even JP. Use JP as a main piece if need be to shore up the blue line because you're right this team should be thinking win now, rather than later. Obviously moving JP rather than Eberle creates future cap issues but so be it, adjust as we go and compete now like the Chicago mentality.

Those wondering about the similarities of Maroon, Kassian, Lucic - one of them spread out on three of our four lines makes the team even more well rounded. Improving the depth of our bottom six is just as important as improving the blue line if this team is going to compete seriously.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Big difference between LA and Edmonton last season. LA had other physical players in King, Nolan, Clifford, Andreoff, etc who all can defend themselves.

Edmonton did not dress Kassian or Maroon together all 82 games where you do have teams who are guaranteed to take shots at this young team.

McDavid is a target amd Puljujarvi will be guaranteed a target also now.

Lucic won't prevent cheap shots against any of the Oiler players, the idea and era of bodyguards is long dead now. He'd be brought in because he's a good player, one that can play physical, create space for his linemates, and do a lot of the physical grunt work for the finesse guys.

If anything, bringing in a guy like Lucic will ensure that Mcdavid will end up in many more chippy games where players are taking shots at each other. Boston ended up in a s***load of games like that when Lucic was there, and he was frequently the instigator on many nights too.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The Kings tried to extend him, don't kid yourself. Just didn't get an agreement done that fit the Kings rather restrictive cap situation.

As for maroon, I really liked what he did here. Obviously, who wouldn't? But I'm a little bit hesitant to his long term success. Dude was lights out here for around 20 games. But I can't help but think some of that was just an unsustainable hot streak.

Lucic is a good player. But the money/term would need to be right and I'm afraid his signing basically guarantees a hall trade.

I haven't found one indication that the Kings even seriously entertained Lucic wanting 6m for as much as 8yrs.

Lucic is 28, a big player with lots of mileage and probably in clear decline over next couple of years. Wouldn't surprise me either if the player was experience neurological trauma by now.

This is a big lumbering lump that has had his bell rung on enough occasions. Do people really think this guy will be worth much at age 30?

On a 6yr deal at best we get maybe 2 good years out of Lucic. he's clearly just wanting to feather his cap at this point. Especially if he signs here its just about the money.

kings walked away from the hilarious notion of extending Lucic to age 36.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I look forward to Lucic threatening to kill players in the second round. Much needed change from the timid couldn't care less "core" that takes losses without so much as a grimace.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Kassian only signed for one year. If no Lucic we will still be on the hunt to inject toughness as usual here sooner than later.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
There's really only one Lucic in the league. That in itself makes him an interesting addition and I think I'm on board but without question there is some heavy risk in signing him as a UFA.

Even if he does produce, he will bring that element similar to Pouliot of making dumb and costly decisions that this team will have to battle through. Still, nothings perfect and he is a punishing player who does bring a lot in terms of gamesmanship.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Lucic won't prevent cheap shots against any of the Oiler players, the idea and era of bodyguards is long dead now. He'd be brought in because he's a good player, one that can play physical, create space for his linemates, and do a lot of the physical grunt work for the finesse guys.

If anything, bringing in a guy like Lucic will ensure that Mcdavid will end up in many more chippy games where players are taking shots at each other. Boston ended up in a s***load of games like that when Lucic was there, and he was frequently the instigator on many nights too.

This point is seldom understood and it happened to the Kings this year. Having Lucic in the lineup just guaranteed that opponents got up for games more and were more physical with the kings and responded with more hitting and pound for pound aggression.

how did that really benefit the Kings, or Boston in recent years?

Lucic essentially stirs **** and then everybody is dealing with it.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Everyone wanted a big team, well now the Oilers are one. Lucic will be fine, he's a more talented player than Replacement is giving him credit for. Dude's been a positive player for his entire career, and a lock to score 20 a season. He's not just going to fall off a cliff like Clarkson.

The worry should be what they're going to do around him. One of Maroon or Pouliot is going if Hall doesn't. I could see them moving Maroon to RW.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
This point is seldom understood and it happened to the Kings this year. Having Lucic in the lineup just guaranteed that opponents got up for games more and were more physical with the kings and responded with more hitting and pound for pound aggression.

So you don't want Lucic because he plays too tough and that will force the rest of the team to play like that too? The only possible negative thing about Lucic signing here is term, the rest of this is just nonsense.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

McDavid and co will be lighting up teams soon enough and thats called disrespect. Fighting will not be leaving this game anytime soon.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

Maybe if we score fewer goals other teams won't feel the need to score on us

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
McDavid and co will be lighting up teams soon enough and thats called disrespect. Fighting will not be leaving this game anytime soon.

Fighting has been relegated to borderline useless for almost a decade. They're either staged fights, or retribution attacks that escalate the violence in games until referees start throwing players out.

The Oilers actually got a measure of what a future of a team with just Maroon/Kassian around would be like in some very chippy games where everyone was taking dangerous runs at each other towards the end of the season. You could see it in the referee management of games against the Oilers as well, with Kassian getting thrown at first offense multiple times to keep the games from getting out of hand. Lucic will amplify that effect if you add him to the roster, not dispell it with his intimidating presence.

Not saying that is a bad thing though. The Oilers need to get more engaged in games and start fighting the wars instead of slinking away, and a guy like Lucic will help in that respect, but he's not going to make players think twice about going after Mcdavid, Hall, or Pulijarvi.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I'd very open to adding Lucic, if the price is right. He just turned 28 and he's got a skill set we've sorely lacked for some time.

Wait and see.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Depends on the term and the dollars.

I hope at the end of all this we find out Lucic left money/term on the table from another team (or two) to sign in Edmonton.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So you don't want Lucic because he plays too tough and that will force the rest of the team to play like that too? The only possible negative thing about Lucic signing here is term, the rest of this is just nonsense.

Logic fail. If two teams play a game harder it doesn't mean this is to the Oilers advantage. it means it takes the game far from the realm of where we would want it to be.

The Oilers are a young talent team, they're not going to be, and shouldn't be trying to be a team that will run teams out of the rink.

This is the typical Oilers org related confusion where they seek headlong to go from one lurch to another. In the 90 we drafted size, then later speed, then later....

Chias missive to get this team bigger could be as much of a red herring as anything that has gone before. While the Pens ironically win the cup.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Depends on the term and the dollars.

I hope at the end of all this we find out Lucic left money/term on the table from another team (or two) to sign in Edmonton.

players don't come to Edmonton to leave money on the table, nor will the have to. not for a few years yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad