Do you want Milan Lucic on the oilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Absolutely. Too long people have complained about the Oilers being weak and easy to play against. Lucic is the only player like him in the game. No one else has his combination of skills and attributes. Signing Lucic would be a huge win. I'm tired of losing to the teams that sign the players they need to the contracts required to get/keep them.

Sign him Chia. Trade for his rights and sign him tonight.

Cogliano13Gagner89

Nov 3, 2007
Oilers Misery
Absolutely. Too long people have complained about the Oilers being weak and easy to play against. Lucic is the only player like him in the game. No one else has his combination of skills and attributes. Signing Lucic would be a huge win. I'm tired of losing to the teams that sign the players they need to the contracts required to get/keep them.

Sign him Chia. Trade for his rights and sign him tonight.

Pretty much sums up my post from a few minutes earlier. The Oilers have been a cupcake team to play against for years. Now people want to lose him over 1 year of contract or a million or two on the cap? Give me a break.

Whats going to happen is a team like Anaheim will offer him a year or 2 more, he'll score 30 goals and win a cup while we are here June 2017 talking about another top 5 pick.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
What's good about Lucic signing first is that if he signs for 5.5M, Eriksson might sign with the Oilers for the same. Kind of like Hall, RNH and Ebs signing the same deal.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
What's good about Lucic signing first is that if he signs for 5.5M, Eriksson might sign with the Oilers for the same kind of like Hall, RNH and Ebs signing the same deal.

??? What's the basis for this? Other than them having played on Boston together, is there any evidence of them having a close friendship? It seems like a huge stretch to me.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
If Lucic is signed it means Pouliot is getting traded for a D. If it's a downgrade it's only a slight one, but worth it since it allows us to upgrade the D.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
The circulating news about Lucic has me convinced he's an Oiler at this point, all that needs to be done is to ink the contract.

In my heart I sure do hope Chia is getting a sweetheart deal out of Lucic. Very excited to see him in Oilers silks if it works out.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
This team has been a pile of ***** for 10 years, the joke of the NHL and I hear people complaining 6 years at 6+ mill is too much.

Are you kidding me? This has to end, its time to start winning now. This joke of an organization has been about "building the future" and "looking ahead to next year" for a decade now. Who cares if in the last year or two of his contract he'll be overpaid. This franchise needs a huge culture and attitude change and Lucic is one of those guys that will do that.

Is he worth 6 mill a season, probably not. Ideally i think 5 years at 5 per would be great but that won't happen. I'm fine with 6x6 or 6 years 6.5 per.

I can understand people wishing as much time and money was spent on a good defenseman instead of yet another forward.
sign Lucic and leave the D as is, and the Oilers will still be garbage.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
It all depends on how or if they manage to fix the defence. If they can find a trade and he replaces the parts we ship out then yes. If we dont have a trade and are just signing free agent defence then I'd probably rather not, especially at the $ and term that it's likely going to take.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
??? What's the basis for this? Other than them having played on Boston together, is there any evidence of them having a close friendship? It seems like a huge stretch to me.

Just a hunch. Nothing more.

Former teammates, same GM, both UFA, similar caliber players. If Eriksson feels he sees Edmonton as a new home, I won't be surprised if Chia could convince him to take a similar deal to Lucic

Cogliano13Gagner89

Nov 3, 2007
Oilers Misery
I can understand people wishing as much time and money was spent on a good defenseman instead of yet another forward.
sign Lucic and leave the D as is, and the Oilers will still be garbage.

Last I checked there are no top end D on the free agent market this year. And the Oilers are the last team in the league that should be worried about cap problems at the moment. Get good now then worry about cap problems in the future when you actually have a winning team and culture.

I can tell you one thing, if the Blackhawks were worried about their cap hits in the future they would have a few less cups than they have now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
With Maroon and Kassian here what hole does Lucic actually fill?

Lots of money spent on very little improvement in the lineup.

I'd rather have Maroon with McDavid than a toolbrain like Lucic becoming unglued at the worst possible times.

Despite production Lucic was a liability on the Kings at times. I wonder how much of a distraction he was as well.

Finally, name me one player on the SJ Sharks lineup that was intimidated by Lucic this playoffs. Or one contenting team player all season that was.

Does Lucic really cause appreciable backing up in opponents? Not to any degree that impacted outcomes.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Is that Katz kid?

Nobody punched Lucic in the 20secs of the video walking around downtown. We're already better option than Vancouver...:sarcasm:

ps I see Klowe has been promoted to tour guide and crossing guard.

maybe they can have him looking after the gravel parking lot in the fall.

progress

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I'd rather have Maroon with McDavid than a toolbrain like Lucic becoming unglued at the worst possible times.

Despite production Lucic was a liability on the Kings at times. I wonder how much of a distraction he was as well.

Finally, name me one player on the SJ Sharks lineup that was intimidated by Lucic this playoffs. Or one contenting team player all season that was.

Does Lucic really cause appreciable backing up in opponents? Not to any degree that impacted outcomes.
Well the difference between maroon/kassian and lucic is about 20-30 points. 25-35 point guys vs 55-65 point guy.
I have time for lucic. But not at the expense of hall for a 2nd pairing dman.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Yes. This allows McDavid to just terrorize teams.

Such a different atmosphere for teams trying to walk around Edmonton only years ago.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Is that Katz kid?

Chiarelli looks like an executive in ill fitting cloths, and Lowe looks like a life long construction worker :laugh:

Yeah, that is Katz's kid as well. He'll probably be hanging around all the major events involving the franchise, it's pretty clear that he's being groomed to be the future owner when Katz retires.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
This team has been a pile of ***** for 10 years, the joke of the NHL and I hear people complaining 6 years at 6+ mill is too much.

Are you kidding me? This has to end, its time to start winning now. This joke of an organization has been about "building the future" and "looking ahead to next year" for a decade now. Who cares if in the last year or two of his contract he'll be overpaid. This franchise needs a huge culture and attitude change and Lucic is one of those guys that will do that.

Is he worth 6 mill a season, probably not. Ideally i think 5 years at 5 per would be great but that won't happen. I'm fine with 6x6 or 6 years 6.5 per.

Hear, hear :handclap:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Well the difference between maroon/kassian and lucic is about 20-30 points. 25-35 point guys vs 55-65 point guy.
I have time for lucic. But not at the expense of hall for a 2nd pairing dman.

I think the diff is more about 20pts at this point with Maroon numbers probably increasing with experience and use.

I'm not a fan of Lucic, I really tried to like him in LA. In the end his meltdowns and stupid penalties cost the Kings, even in the playoff round.

I keep thinking as well that Lucic was not all that well liked in LA. Just a feeling I get. I

The interesting thing is Lucic really wanted to remain a KIng, but they had zero interest in extending him.
https://www.nhl.com/news/lucic-enjoys-l-a-wants-to-re-sign-with-kings-report/c-798919

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Lucic is twice the player that Maroon is. Maroon makes a lot of braindead plays too but you love the guy (as do I). Lucic is Maroon except he is meaner, a better skater and far more skilled. What's not to love? The contract will be an overpayment but such is life in free agency.

I want the Oilers to be the bullies for once, to impose their will on the opponent. Maroon and Kassian are good starts but Lucic changes the equation completely.
My one worry is that Chia is becoming a bit too fixated on size at the expense of speed so after signing Lucic enough is enough.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Last I checked there are no top end D on the free agent market this year. And the Oilers are the last team in the league that should be worried about cap problems at the moment. Get good now then worry about cap problems in the future when you actually have a winning team and culture.

I can tell you one thing, if the Blackhawks were worried about their cap hits in the future they would have a few less cups than they have now.

get good now? you can't do that with the defense the oilers constantly bring out.
signing Lucic doesn't make the oilers get good. all that size and toughness won't do much when he's chasing the puck in his own end because of a turnover or the fact the Oilers can't clear the zone.

he's a good player, but the Oilers have bigger issues.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

in what remote way would Lucic contribute to the team winning more games?

Did Lucic REALLY help even the former SC champ LA KINGS?

Plus the Oilers have been spending close to cap for years. Spending hasn't really been the issue, at all. Like not in ANY sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad