Do you want Elias resigned this summer?

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I voted no. However, if we can't land the free agents this summer to fill holes on the third line, then I would ask him back for 1yr at $2M. He can have some PP time and some PK time. He would be the last priority.

He's still better than Gionta, Tootoo, Ruutu, Sislo, Pietilla, Tlusty, Kalinin, Kennedy, and Farnham.

And more savvy that DSP, JJ, and Blandisi.

Edit: Jesus, I just reread this and it's such a sad post.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I voted NO .. the guy is done. Professional sports is a tough business, and teams can't afford to keep players around out of loyalty.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I voted no. However, if we can't land the free agents this summer to fill holes on the third line, then I would ask him back for 1yr at $2M. He can have some PP time and some PK time. He would be the last priority.

He's still better than Gionta, Tootoo, Ruutu, Sislo, Pietilla, Tlusty, Kalinin, Kennedy, and Farnham.

And more savvy that DSP, JJ, and Blandisi.

Edit: Jesus, I just reread this and it's such a sad post.

All I have is that we don't know if he's better than Pietilla, which in itself makes me sad. Everyone else is accurate.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Absolutely not, Elias is done. He is just no good anymore, especially when I saw him this season. Coming off a huge injury also will affect his gameplay negatively.

I would rather sign a UFA and give him that slot over Elias.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I had a feeling that reading this thread would be sad. I honestly wouldn't expect the loyalty contract from Shero. It's his job to make these tough decisions. He out of anyone will be able to see if Elias will bring value to the team.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I thought Elias looked fine his first game or two back, then I'm guess the injury caught back up to him. I won't be upset if he is under contract again next season.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
To me the perfect scenario is for Patty to get back into the lineup next week.

Play a few games, score a few goals including the game winner in OT vs TML.
Get showered with applause by us fans in that final game (which should be a packed crowd).

Let him do the postgame interview with Deb and then let him take a lap around the ice.

Announce retirement the following week.

I'd hate to see him play for another team, especially a local rival.

It rubbed me the wrong way to see Marty in a STL jersey for a measly 7 games.

I have a stronger connection as a fan for Patty than any Devils player in history.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's tough for me cause I really don't think he has anything left - his poor year two years ago and not even being able to get on the ice this season suggest that - and next week would really be the optimum farewell tour, but I also don't want to kick him out the door either. If he wants to take a Sykora 2012-type deal fine but I don't see where you put him unless Blandisi goes back to the AHL at the start of next season. He's not going to play third-line C (or any line C) and he's not going to play top six LW with Camm/Bouch.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
It's tough for me cause I really don't think he has anything left - his poor year two years ago and not even being able to get on the ice this season suggest that - and next week would really be the optimum farewell tour, but I also don't want to kick him out the door either. If he wants to take a Sykora 2012-type deal fine but I don't see where you put him unless Blandisi goes back to the AHL at the start of next season. He's not going to play third-line C (or any line C) and he's not going to play top six LW with Camm/Bouch.

Just keep him on speed dial for when Cammy gets hurt. That should be around November 3rd.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Just keep him on speed dial for when Cammy gets hurt. That should be around November 3rd.

Fair point lol...I don't know if Elias will really want to go the Gomez route though, unless there's literally no interest anywhere else (and I think someone would make an offer). I feel either he'll retire outright or try to catch on somewhere during camp if we don't re-sign him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If he is deadset on playing another year, I re-sign him. I wouldn't be able to stomach him in another team's jersey, even moreso than Marty

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Sounds like he's pretty set on coming back next year. I wouldn't hate him for cheap, put him on the 3rd line and let him get some PP time.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Fair point lol...I don't know if Elias will really want to go the Gomez route though, unless there's literally no interest anywhere else (and I think someone would make an offer). I feel either he'll retire outright or try to catch on somewhere during camp if we don't re-sign him.

I couldn't do that to Patty. Sign him or let him try else where.

If he is dead set on playing bring him back. His leadership and ability to pass skills along alone will be worth it.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I know it's not a popular opinion but I've always been of the mindset that if it's a player who has absolutely been a pillar of your franchise, well you respect the player's wishes, even if it may not be the best decision from a performance or financial perspective. Basically, if Elias wants to play one more year and he wants to do it in a Devils sweater, then the franchise should do whatever they can to make something work with him. He is owed that imho, especially after all the hard work and dedication he has given this franchise through his entire career.

Look, it may not end well or be pretty but it's about respect and he completely deserves it. I understand the business aspect of it all but unless he's a major detriment to this team (which I find hard to believe looking at our roster), he should absolutely have a place on this team next season, if he wants one. You don't kick a guy like Elias out the door. It doesn't usually end well, Brodeur being a great example of this, but that's the price you have to pay when the player has given your team so much. For better or for worse is how I look at it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The main difference between Marty and Patty is you could hide Patty with modest, controlled icetime on a third line if he totally craters as a player, you couldn't hide Marty unless it was on the bench and he obviously didn't want that. I'm not sure Patty's as wedded to the idea of finishing his career here as we are since he almost left as a UFA in '06, but then again maybe he thinks a little differently now toward the end.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
He's the only one still left from the glory days. :cry:

As much as I'd like to hang onto that, I'd also say it's time to move on. But while saying that, no other Devil ever deserves to wear #26. I would not mind if he came back for another year or farewell tour either.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
No. Devils legend and will have his jersey retired as soon as he hangs up the skates but he is done. I feel if he does re-sign it will be another season like this one in which he will spend multiple games injured.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Meh, why not. It's not like we've got that many kids coming up that he's going to keep out of the lineup. As long as he realizes he's not going to be gifted top six minutes just because he's Patrik Elias.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Heart says yes, brain says no. Part of me wants him around to mentor Zacha, but I suppose that could be done without him being an active member of the club.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
If the man can play he should get the chance. HERE I say yes Patty for another year if he wants it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Meh, why not. It's not like we've got that many kids coming up that he's going to keep out of the lineup. As long as he realizes he's not going to be gifted top six minutes just because he's Patrik Elias.

One old guy not named Jagr I wouldn't mind holding down a spot is Patty.

If he is healthy he is still a smart player. If he isn't than he won't be playing much.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
I think Patty needs to hang 'em up. There's nothing really left as his play was poor last year and this year he can't even get on the ice. He really got a thank you salary the last two years and there's really no way I give him another one next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad