Do you want Elias resigned this summer?

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Patty should not go out this way. He is a hall of famer that has done everything for this organization. I would hate to see him go like this. Hopefully he can sign a 1 year deal with us for 1-2 million. Slot him on LW on the 3rd line. I honestly believe he can help the team. He had 1 goal 4 assists in 13 games for us this year. Thats not bad. That is 3rd line scoring pace. I want him back for another year. You do it for respect too, even if he couldn't really play anymore.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i say yes, but they need to have a serious discussion this summer, beyond just hockey. his daughter is growing up, and his body can't necessarily take the strain as easily anymore, so he's got a big decision to make this summer

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Nah. I love the guy, but I think we're set at LW with the emergence of Boucher and Blandisi, Cammalleri coming back, and Zacha likely coming up. I guess he could be the 3C, but I'd rather have a young guy fill that role. He should just retire.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think Patty's willing to play whatever role the team needs. I'd rather Shero sign him for another year (especially if Zacha is ready for the NHL and could use a Czech mentor) than see him sign somewhere else. Of course, if Patty wants to retire this off-season, that changes things. Shero will have to see what Patty wants, but I hope he is at least open to the idea of re-signing him if Patty wants to play one more year of hockey and is willing to accept a depth role on the team. Don't really want to see Patty in another NHL team's jersey.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
It's not a yes or no for me.

I would say yes under a specific set of circumstances, those circumstances being that he is as close to 100% healthy as possible and that we think we will be capable of making a playoff run.

The only way I see the latter of that happening is if we sign a significant (IE top line) forward piece this offseason (probably unlikely), sign 1-2 above average middle six forwards, Cammalleri is good to go, and either Zacha, Quenneville, or whoever we draft in the first round this year is able to be a contributor next year.

In other words, I would give him a PTO and see how it goes. If we're going to have another down year next season, it doesn't make sense for us or Patty to have him playing middle six minutes that could be going to a developing forward in a losing effort.

If we were to end up with a forward group something like

Cammalleri-Henrique-FA
Boucher-Zajac-Palmieri
Blandisi-Elias-FA/Zacha/other Rookie/DSP
Kalinin-Josefson-DSP/Rookie/Good FA role player
Gionta/Rookie, Kennedy/Rookie

I think a lineup like that could accomplish something with defense and goaltending similar to what we have now, and I would think Elias would have something to offer playing basically the same role Josefson had this year and serving as a mentor for the younger players.

But that really hinges on adding another 30+ goal type guy to the lineup (as well as Cammalleri being healthy and Henrique, Palmieri, Blandisi, and Boucher all contributing at at least the level they are now). If that weren't to happen, then I would suspect we won't be a contender next year, and thus it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Elias to waste his last year playing on a weak team.

Last edited:

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
No. One of my favorite players ever, but he hasn't looked good for quite some time. I just don't see the point.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Really want to see him retire a Devil. I say sign him for 1 more year, it can't hurt. Obviously he is getting to the end, but it doesn't hurt to have a veteran mentor the younger players. And I think he could still be effective playing on the 2nd or 3rd line. Regardless of age, he is still very smart, knows where to be and is a great passer. No reason he couldn't play on the PP also.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
For sentimental reasons, yes I'd love for him to have one more year. But I just don't think he has enough left in the tank, so I don't think it'd be a great idea.

He might be able to play at a decent level with sheltered minutes but I think his real value would be to act as a mentor for Zacha, and any other prospect making the jump. But I don't think that's enough to warrant a contract. Let's see how he does if and when he returns to the lineup this year then go from there.

ChicoEatsNachos

Jan 14, 2016
Little Ferry NJ
Given the quality (or lack thereof) of our bottom 6 this year and due to my respect for Elias I wouldn't be angry or upset if he was given a one year contract but I don't actively want him back next year either so I voted no on the poll.

I have doubts about his health holding up and even if he's totally recovered from the knee issue, we still have to deal the fact that he'll have been mostly out of commission for a year, having to re-adjust to game speed/conditions as a 40 year old. Elias has proven versatile and adaptable over the course of his career, and he is a smart player, but that's a lot to throw at a player at his age and in his situation.

Let's say he can't keep up, and we actually have youth challenging for roster spots, then we have the squirm inducing problem of how to manage a rapidly declining franchise legend. I know at one year it would be a short term problem but that's a potential headache I don't want to deal with.

If he comes back I will of course root for him to succeed. He deserves to go out on his own terms (as rare as that is for pro athletes) but I just don't have a good feeling about it working out if he came back. I don't think he has much left to offer in terms of on ice contributions. I hope I'm wrong on that.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Factoring in the injuries and noticably declining play it has to be a no from me. Immensely grateful for what he's done over his career with us, but i think with where this team is at currently it doesn't make a lot of sense to re-sign him.

I want us to continue with the youth movement, those minutes are better served going to a developing youngster who has a future beyond just next season. If Elias feels he has enough in the tank for another year (unlikely) i certainly won't begrudge him exploring his options, perhaps he could be a useful depth piece on a contending team that needs a seasoned veteran. Whatever he decides to do, be it retire or play elsewhere, doesn't tarnish his history with us at all for me, he just isn't what this team needs anymore.

BigBlueAndRed

Apr 15, 2012
I voted no... as much as I love what he did for our team, with the youth movement Shero has started, he's taking up time that younger guys need.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
My minds telling me noooooooo.

But mah bodyyyy.

Mahhh bodyyyy is telling me yeahah

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
No he has been declining (as expected) and hasn't played much in a year. We have plenty of young players coming up and on the roster currently who play similar positions (LW and C). I would much rather give them a shot or get someone who is probably going to be more competent at this point. I question how much Patty realistically has after missing so much time recently and his age. He has always been a well conditioned athlete but these factors may be too much.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
I'm going to vote yes, but just for a 1-year deal. I'd like to see him serve as a possible mentor role for Zacha

This is the only reason I want him to come back is if Zacha is on the team next year. Pavel seemed excited about the prospect of playing with Patty and it would do him good to be in the room with him.

Otherwise it's time to move on as much as I hate to say it. I really don't see how his knees are going to get any better as time goes on.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
However this plays out, most of all I just hope he gets to retire as a lifelong Devil rather than see him in some other team's jersey as a mere footnote to his great contributions to the franchise. He's going to have the last number hoisted for this organization for quite a long time and I'd like to see him finish out in a manner worthy of his place in Devils history.

That said, I'm not sure he's got it in him for another season, or even a partial one. Given age along with the knee repairs I wouldn't want to see him struggle or see the team struggle collectively as a result. If he was playing through the pain this year and last it's difficult to assess his true remaining capacity until as close to 100% as can be expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad