Do you want Elias resigned this summer?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I voted no, but I'm not vehemently against the idea under a few circumstances.

It's a real gamble to me. We re sign him and he is completely terrible next year, there's another vet that we had to watch that probably had nothing left. Just like Marty, Salvador and Zubrus in years prior.

If he signs somewhere else and produces offense next year, then it will be maddening if we got guys like Mike Sislo in the lineup or Jacob Josefson and Kalinin on the 3rd line again.

But I would also pencil him in toe miss a significant amount of games next year if he's back. I could have voted yes, had we gotten a chance to see him for the last month or two of the season. The 3 games max that he'll play is not a significant amount of games to gauge him on for next year. Would love to give him a PTO to see what he's like in preseason games, but he'd probably get a guaranteed contract somewhere else.

A 30-35 point Elias would still be a huge upgrade on Josefson or Kalinin at offense.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Elias was still worth $5.5 million his first season on that deal.

Last year he was probably a $4-$4.5 million-ish dollar per year player. Still had a half point per game or close to that.

We didn't see him enough this year to gauge what he is worth.

I don't think his last deal was really a thank you contract. I think Jay Pandolfo's last contract with the Devils was a thank you contract. I still think the last contract Zubrus got was as well. It was a year too long. Salvador's last contract was kind of a thank you contract, but Lou just matched other offers Salvador got after that huge playoff run.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
No. One of my favorite players ever, but he hasn't looked good for quite some time. I just don't see the point.

Just 4 seasons ago he was 10th in the league in points. 78 points in 81 games.

Three seasons ago he had 36 points in the 48 game lockout season

Two seasons ago he had 53 points in 65 games. Thats a legitimate first line player.

Last season was literally his only down year and he still had 34 points in 69 games. Writing him off after one mediocre season? Sounds a bit silly to me.

Elias can still play. He may not be a first liner anymore, but he can still be a damn good 3rd line player.
Sign him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Writing him off after one mediocre season? Sounds a bit silly to me.

Not so silly when that mediocre season was at the age of 38 and about 17 years in the league.

I think he could still be a good 3rd liner, but I'm not sure. It would be a gamble.

I'd take a 30 point Elias on the 3rd line, over watching Josefson and Kalinin struggle to clear 15 or 20 points each. But I'm not sure if he's a 30 point player anymore. It's hard to say.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Not so silly when that mediocre season was at the age of 38 and about 17 years in the league.

I think he could still be a good 3rd liner, but I'm not sure. It would be a gamble.

I'd take a 30 point Elias on the 3rd line, over watching Josefson and Kalinin struggle to clear 15 or 20 points each. But I'm not sure if he's a 30 point player anymore. It's hard to say.

He had a goal and 4 assists in 13 games this season. While playing injured. by my math, an injured Elias would score 32 points in a season. So if a 39 year old, injured Patrik Elias can do that, what would a 40 year old, healthy Patrik Elias be able to do? I think 35-40 points (on an 82 game pace) is a good bet for Patty. And I'd take that on my 3rd line any day of the week.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
I signed YES. I know all of the logical reasons not to resign him but I don't care. Yes it's blind loyalty but again, I don't care.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He had a goal and 4 assists in 13 games this season. While playing injured. by my math, an injured Elias would score 32 points in a season. So if a 39 year old, injured Patrik Elias can do that, what would a 40 year old, healthy Patrik Elias be able to do? I think 35-40 points (on an 82 game pace) is a good bet for Patty. And I'd take that on my 3rd line any day of the week.

You're assuming he'll 'ever' be completely healthy again though. Going into the year he said the knee was bothering him for a couple years and then he missed most of this season after he supposedly was coming into the season feeling better than he had for a while.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
You're assuming he'll 'ever' be completely healthy again though. Going into the year he said the knee was bothering him for a couple years and then he missed most of this season after he supposedly was coming into the season feeling better than he had for a while.

He got surgery on it. Usually that fixes things

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I want Elias on the Devils for as long as he wants to be here. Might make no business sense at all but I can't help it, I don't want him to go. :puppy:

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
I want him if he'll sign a reasonable 1-year deal. I look at it this way. If he plays to expectations (30-50pts) and isn't injured. He'll provide great offense for the 3rd line, get some PP time and hopefully mentor Zacha. If his knees give out, he'll end up on LTIR anyway and he won't be "blocking" anyone, so it's a win/win for us. I'm not worried about him being healthy all season and a total blackhole.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Regardless of what we want, I don't think he's coming back next season. Shero has no loyalty to leftovers from the Lou regime unless he thinks they can help the Devils out (see: Blandisi). I don't really want Patty back anyway. Maybe his bad play in his handful of games this season was due to his injury that wasn't completely healed, but if you give him even a one-year contract for a couple million dollars, that could be better spent elsewhere.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Regardless of what we want, I don't think he's coming back next season. Shero has no loyalty to leftovers from the Lou regime unless he thinks they can help the Devils out (see: Blandisi). I don't really want Patty back anyway. Maybe his bad play in his handful of games this season was due to his injury that wasn't completely healed, but if you give him even a one-year contract for a couple million dollars, that could be better spent elsewhere.

Well, it's not like we'll have to pinch pennies to stay under the cap, so I don't think the money would be an issue. Also, Shero having no loyalty to leftovers like Zubrus and Matteau is a little different than a franchise legend like Elias.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
My guess is he retires. He had a poor 14-15 and missed pretty much this entire season due injury. That is his body saying stop...

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Like I said, I voted no, but I'd have to spend an entire day to actually think about this one.

We either have to suffer through a season of what we saw with Zubrus, Salvador or Marty recently and he's awful.

Or he's good and it keeps offensively allergic players like Josefson and Kalinin the hell off the 3rd line, where they clearly have no business playing on and already wore out their welcomes in those opportunities by the new year.

Regardless of what we want, I just don't believe he's in Shero's plans for next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad