Do you trust Babcock's coaching in Game 7?

• Total voters

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
this should be a fun thread.

folks who have never stepped behind a bench in their life (certainly not an NHL bench) are going to tell us how Babcock should coach

I trust Babcock behind the bench a heckuva lot more than stats readers from this board.

In viewing the individual teams pages, this seems to be common.

All these fans thinking they know more than the coach.

Plumbers by day, NHL advisors by night. :)

Are we allowed to compare him to other coaches or just his coaching abilities vs. our plumbing abilities?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
losing isnt on babcock. he likes to line match but by doing so he is putting our players in a position to succeed. Its up to the players to perform.

Throwing an injured and already jittery Gardiner out for 4 shifts in 3 and a half minutes in the first period of Game 7 chasing one of his silly match-ups was putting him in a place to succeed? It directly led to Boston going up 2-0 early in the game.

Cecithepylon

May 4, 2017
Honestly game one of the playoffs I thought he actually learned something and was coaching well. Then Cassidy adjusted and Babs was like
63012F22-1B08-4E35-AD2C-79EC6A71D590.png

Reactions: stopclickbait

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If it’s all on the players why are we paying him so much?

Yep.

If it takes Dubas beinibg in a new assistant to fix something for Bancock (special teams) it does beg the question why hes the highest paid hockey coach in history.....

I still don't co soder myself a "hater," of Babcock, I just find it frustrating the idea that he can apparently do no.wrlngbfor sk.e folks when it's clearly not the caese

Reactions: SAMCRO44

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I’m not a Babcock hater by any stretch but he was cleanly out coached during playoffs last year.

He made absolutely no adjustments and stuck with things that clearly weren’t working, which was maddening.

Really hoping the new Assistant coaches are able to stand up to home and we see some adjustments when needed.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Management seems to have systematically deleted a lot of those unplayable options over the summer. Feels like the team is overflowing in forward options right now.

Reactions: supermann_98

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
I’m more worried about a goalie that has about a 70% save percentage in game 7. Would have never lost any of those games with decent goaltending !

Reactions: ACC1224

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
this should be a fun thread.

folks who have never stepped behind a bench in their life (certainly not an NHL bench) are going to tell us how Babcock should coach

I trust Babcock behind the bench a heckuva lot more than stats readers from this board.

In viewing the individual teams pages, this seems to be common.

All these fans thinking they know more than the coach.

Plumbers by day, NHL advisors by night. :)
Did this also apply for you when Peter Horachek was coach too? Since he was an NHL coach but none of us ever has, or just for Babcock? Well if we cannot say we don’t trust him as a coach because we have not been an NHL coach, what gives you the right to say you trust him as a coach, since you never been an NHL coach either? Or does it just work one way for you since you are a Babcock supporter? PS, and not surprisingly, by the looks of the voting you are in the vast minority.

Last edited:

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I’m not a Babcock hater by any stretch but he was cleanly out coached during playoffs last year.

He made absolutely no adjustments and stuck with things that clearly weren’t working, which was maddening.

Really hoping the new Assistant coaches are able to stand up to home and we see some adjustments when needed.
Not sure if the old assistants quit or were fired,but i do think the new guys will have some input that Babs can't ignore.Babs knows his new 'helpers' but not sure he had much input in their hiring.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Babcock's biggest fault is he doesn't believe in a system where one attribute can win you the Cup.
He starts evaluating the players on how often they cough up the puck and how well they shut the doors in their own
zone rather then make pretty passes or take wicked shots on the net.
Someone needs to point out to Babcock that having commitment to offense AND defense is a shame.
Want proof? During the playoffs Patrick Bergeron was on for 16 goals against and Mitch Marner was only on for 13!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You've probably been thinking something similar all summer.

Do you think he has changed? Does he need to change? Will he change his ways for the playoffs this time around?

Not really, trust the Goalie even less.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
He made some decisions in the last few game7s that were pretty clearly wrong. If you're being objective, he makes bad calls on player usage, line matchups, ice time, and he tends to pull the goalie at the wrong time.

The last one is the one that kills me. He wants to lean on a 4th liner? That's a hunch he gets to follow. Play one player more or less time? Judgement call, and no one cares if it works.

But pulling the goalie with like 2 minutes left and you don't have posession in the O zone? You're gifting them an empty netter, and guaranteeing a loss. And it happened in games 6 and 7 last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad