Do you think Taylor Hall has asked for a trade?

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
I think having a 'Core' is opening up for a divide in the locker room.

Core is ridiculous.

Who was the core of the 1997 Oilers team?

Weight Guerin Smith?
Moreau-Marchant-Grier?
Murray-McAmmond?
Ninimaa-Mironov?
Hamrlik?
Cujo?

We had a TEAM. PERIOD.

We didnt slice up and divide them up by annointing any of them more untouchably important than another.

Do you think Grier would have gladly popped his shoulder back into its socket after taking a hit, if he wasn't considered a part of the core?

Ninimaa and Smyth were both crying when traded. Doug Weight wanted to take millions less to stay an Oiler.

Having a "core" is ridiculous. I certainly wouldn't block a Nick Lidstrom shot with my face in the dying seconds of a game if I was considered expendable.

Would any of you at any of your careers, perform at 100% when you knew there were a bunch of younger kids who were given preferential treatment over you?

Couldn't agree more. I think this is something that A LOT of fans have been believing and saying in different ways for a while now but you nailed it there.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I'd like to think there must be some explanation but I dunno.

On one hand you have a player you say is playing injured on one leg. Does such a player go after Ryan Getzlaf 2 nights ago basically challenging him? I really don't think so. Hall seems just lost. No anticipation, no drive, effort. The most noticeable he's been in recent games is when he's got angry. That speaks to motivational trouble rather than injury being the main thing.

I don't doubt two knee injuries are going to impact but then why is he on the ice? Does it really get much better with both knees shot through injury?

This could be the new baseline if you are correct. That's an even more disturbing proposition.

I didn't see that as Hall challenging Getzlaf... he hit him pretty hard, Getzlaf got up chirping. Hall was just defending his hit, he wasn't asking him to fight or anything. Looked like a normal conversation to me.

It's pretty clear that he's still hurt... came back before his timeline, can be seen wearing a brace, lost his explosiveness as soon as the injury happened. On top of all that the entire team is struggling, have nothing left to play for etc.

Can't be easy to stay motivated year after year after year when you're done in December.

Whats the rush to trade him anyway? Makes me wonder if he hasn't asked for it himself...

If the rumours were to be considered.

There isn't a rush, this is all BS IMO.

Ebs4Josi

Nov 22, 2014
Start of the season = Hall is an untouchable franchise player

30 games into the season = anyone is tradable including Hall.

What a joke, so many people are just extremely sensitive and reactionary.

Last edited:

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

If it makes the team better it makes sense to trade anyone. We've seen what having one of the best LW in the game has done for this team. If tradeguiing him makes for a better team in the long run then I'm all in favor. Having said that it will be very difficult to find a deal that works for both sides. I cant see why the ducks would want to give up the pieces we are talking about for him, even if it's just for cap reasons. The Penguins wouldnt take him, they cant afford his cap hit for a winger and they dont need a premier winger just someone who can play with Crosby or Malkin.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

It is kind of hilarious :)

Its like 10 second Tom from 51st dates movie, very short memories. It is kind of amusing how frustration can cause blindness.

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
If a Taylor Hall trade request is what it takes to get Lowe, MacT, and Howson punted to the curb with the rest of the garbage so we can finally bring in some non-morons to run the team than I hope he already has.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Its interesting how that post illustrates the difference between how that legendary team thought of core and how other teams might.

FFW to today and who would be on the core of the LA KINGS?

Nah, its a team sport and everybody rowing. They wouldn't even think of it that way. Anybody that started to would be slapped upside the head with a Doughty slapshot.

They would, but only by him since he is a major part of the core...

Team sport, yes. As more or less everything is. That's why team work is always requested by applicants for any job. That said, in any job and/or sport there are pieces more expendable than others. I am lucky to work for a person who leads by example and who always first of all gives thanks and credit to the team for the work done. He is part of the company's core and I work for him. But if push comes to shove I am out the door before him, because with respect to him I am expendable. Same as our group technician who would be out the door before me, but (and this is important) I would be slapped upside my head with a slapshot from my boss if I said so.

Now, if your core doesn't behave like one, then it is really a different issue, which also has its solutions...

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
They would, but only by him since he is a major part of the core...

Team sport, yes. As more or less everything is. That's why team work is always requested by applicants for any job. That said, in any job and/or sport there are pieces more expendable than others. I am lucky to work for a person who leads by example and who always first of all gives thanks and credit to the team for the work done. He is part of the company's core and I work for him. But if push comes to shove I am out the door before him, because with respect to him I am expendable. Same as our group technician who would be out the door before me, but (and this is important) I would be slapped upside my head with a slapshot from my boss if I said so.

Now, if your core doesn't behave like one, then it is really a different issue, which also has its solutions...

this is all true, the difference between a great leader and not is a great leader knows he is the non-replaceable one but goes out of his way to make sure the rest of the team feels just as important and never holds himself above the others. A perfect example is Jon Toews. everyone knows he is the leader of the team but he wont take any credit himself, its always about the team.

Im not saying the "core" here isnt the same way but the coaching staff and management treat them different and their level of accountablity is lower than anyone elses. this has to rub "non-core" guys the wrong way. Im sure guys like hendricks and yakupov like taylor hall and eberle as teammates and buddies but there has to be resentment for them getting away with the same mistakes over and over.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
this is all true, the difference between a great leader and not is a great leader knows he is the non-replaceable one but goes out of his way to make sure the rest of the team feels just as important and never holds himself above the others. A perfect example is Jon Toews. everyone knows he is the leader of the team but he wont take any credit himself, its always about the team.

Im not saying the "core" here isnt the same way but the coaching staff and management treat them different and their level of accountablity is lower than anyone elses. this has to rub "non-core" guys the wrong way. Im sure guys like hendricks and yakupov like taylor hall and eberle as teammates and buddies but there has to be resentment for them getting away with the same mistakes over and over.

Exactly right. That is why I responded, the problem percieved here should not be that a team has a core, every team has one, it is should be that the team's core is not behaving like one (edit: which is not only on them as you rightly point out, also on management).

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
Exactly right. That is why I responded, the problem percieved here should not be that a team has a core, every team has one, it is should be that the team's core is not behaving like one (edit: which is not only on them as you rightly point out, also on management).

Which is precisely the problem with the Oilers. A team can have untradeables, a core or whatever else they want to call it. Usually it's just their best players or leaders that instead are just worth more to the team than anyone's willing to pay. (Trading for a Doughty is expensive enough but much more so when the Kings decide because of intangibles or team chemistry that any offer would have to be 125% what he's really worth.)

With other teams though you have to earn the right to be thought of that way, your play before the draft or in the development leagues still counts towards that but importantly, you still have to show you'll earn it at the NHL level. Unless Oilers, here someone can be untouchable because WE earned you through hard sucking. The kinda losing required to draft them took work.

I lost track of how to put this into words but basically,
-A core still has to work hard or they aren't your core
-Eberle and Schultz should never have been considered in that group but they got along well with real core players
-Oilers use of and treatment of a core likely divides the locker room
-GM's shouldn't Bleeping mandate ice time for young players

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
asked for a trade so the team gets better?! hellz yeah!

get rid of Schultz and Eberle already. wimps are wimps.

real point: Hall seems classy enough to give them a chance to build something. maybe when he hits the end of his contract (4-5 seasons) he wants out.

steam whistle

Nov 27, 2013
Ontario
just curious, oil fans,

if Smashville offer Seth Jones for Taylor Hall, are you going to take it? I know there is big salary gap.

Fat Balloon

Jan 20, 2010
Its realistic that Hall has told management to make a trade and that he said that the trade could be to make the team better by trading other players to get him help or to trade him out of there, managements choice.

This team sucked last year and the response was to make minor tweaks. MacT himself said that the year was a disaster and that things couldn't get worse. Well, things got worse. Wheres the improvement that MacT talked about that he knew there would be some but didn't know how much.

Whats going to be different next year? More small tweaks and a rookie MacDavid. More blind faith from management that things can't get worse, only better? I can see all of that causing Hall to give management and ownership an ultimatum, make a significant trade and its up to you to decide if its some else or me.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Did trading Seguin make the Bruins better?

Why do we assume we would get 2x the package for Hall? You wouldn't.

I've seen enough in the last two games that suggests to me that Eakins skewered this rebuild and set it back by 2 years.

Look at Justin Schultz the last two games versus the last two months. It's night and day (and yes people are going to crap on him for that semi-breakaway, but the Sharks player deked out Scrivens with one hand on his stick, you have to make a save at some point).

Even though they lost last night, they played far better than the usual Eakins crap-fest, I think we have to accept that we have damaged a lot of our young talent with that really, really horrible coaching hire.

The goal should be to get them all to regain their confidence and that will take weeks/months, not just 1 or 2 games.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
I've had a change of heart. Before I didn't think he asked for a trade but didn't care if he did or it if it happened but now nope, Hall should stay.

After thinking back on the pre-draft when I was staunchly in favor of drafting Seguin right up until about the last week, I remember seeing some of the pre-draft shows (maybe Oil Change) and noticing their personalities. Seguin who I thought was the better player and fit was just too flaky, I decided his personality probably wouldn't work in Edmonton.

Then I remembered immediately after Hall's pre-draft interview he said how he hoped it went well cause that's where he wanted to go. Hall just seemed more genuine to go with his driven reputation so I switched camps and still feel it was the right choice. The point of that is that now I don't want to see Hall traded at all for whatever return, he belongs here and want to see us find success somehow and if he said that he doesn't want to leave I don't think it's posturing or anything like that at all, because whether he's too honest or dumb he's likely not lying about it.

Hall's a very specific player, more like a blunt object that you shoot at your opponents and bless his dumb heart he just keeps on going for it cause he doesn't know any other approach. Win or lose I hope we stick with Hall (and hopefully find a way to win)

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
Did trading Seguin make the Bruins better?

Why do we assume we would get 2x the package for Hall? You wouldn't.

I've seen enough in the last two games that suggests to me that Eakins skewered this rebuild and set it back by 2 years.

Look at Justin Schultz the last two games versus the last two months. It's night and day (and yes people are going to crap on him for that semi-breakaway, but the Sharks player deked out Scrivens with one hand on his stick, you have to make a save at some point).

Even though they lost last night, they played far better than the usual Eakins crap-fest, I think we have to accept that we have damaged a lot of our young talent with that really, really horrible coaching hire.

The goal should be to get them all to regain their confidence and that will take weeks/months, not just 1 or 2 games.

Imagine how different things might have been if Eakins was hired to the coaching staff WITH Kreuger, as was the original plan. I think he would have been fine as an assistant or associate as long as there was someone else to hold him back.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I don't understand why everyone is just dismissing this as something made up by Dreger. I almost guarantee it's true.

I also lol at any talk that there are or should be an untouchables on this team. RNH would be the closest & that's only because he's a centerman.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I don't understand why everyone is just dismissing this as something made up by Dreger. I almost guarantee it's true.

I also lol at any talk that there are or should be an untouchables on this team. RNH would be the closest & that's only because he's a centerman.

Dregerface recently claimed Eakins would not be fired.
He also rumors everyone to be on their way to Toronto.

He's TSN Eklund who knows Dave Nonis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad