Do you think Taylor Hall has asked for a trade?

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I've had a change of heart. Before I didn't think he asked for a trade but didn't care if he did or it if it happened but now nope, Hall should stay.

After thinking back on the pre-draft when I was staunchly in favor of drafting Seguin right up until about the last week, I remember seeing some of the pre-draft shows (maybe Oil Change) and noticing their personalities. Seguin who I thought was the better player and fit was just too flaky, I decided his personality probably wouldn't work in Edmonton.

Then I remembered immediately after Hall's pre-draft interview he said how he hoped it went well cause that's where he wanted to go. Hall just seemed more genuine to go with his driven reputation so I switched camps and still feel it was the right choice. The point of that is that now I don't want to see Hall traded at all for whatever return, he belongs here and want to see us find success somehow and if he said that he doesn't want to leave I don't think it's posturing or anything like that at all, because whether he's too honest or dumb he's likely not lying about it.

Hall's a very specific player, more like a blunt object that you shoot at your opponents and bless his dumb heart he just keeps on going for it cause he doesn't know any other approach. Win or lose I hope we stick with Hall (and hopefully find a way to win)

Dude, it is insane...every word of this is the same for me. I was very VERY much a draft Seguin man (never to the point of criticizing Hall...i felt they were very close as i am sure you did to be able to make a the same flip i did). For me it was also the Oil Change episode comments in the hallway after his oilers interview that won me over. Everyone talked about hall having a presence and attitude and takeontheworld mentality. For months i laughed at that and said it was seguin who fit that not hall. I wanted seguin as an oiler and was paying close attention to him the entire season. When i watched oilchange i just felt that maybe i didnt want the loud personality, and got the feeling seguin thought he was "too cool for school" and halls demeanor and comments made me flip my choice. Again, i didnt flip to knocking seguin right out of the discussion...they were always close but i was willing to go with the winger who had been surrounded by talent rather than draft the centre who had a very weak team and single handedly got them into the playoffs. Its still so close. Id have loved to have both. Idstill love to have both. As far as i know they are still friends as well. Very different personalities.

Also...i stand by hall. But i stand by lots of guys that get the expendable treatment from the board (except i wanted hemsky gone in 2009 and never defended him since except when i felt he gave good efforts but didnt change that i wanted him traded)

Our revolving door is a big issue imho.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Dude, it is insane...every word of this is the same for me. I was very VERY much a draft Seguin man (never to the point of criticizing Hall...i felt they were very close as i am sure you did to be able to make a the same flip i did). For me it was also the Oil Change episode comments in the hallway after his oilers interview that won me over. Everyone talked about hall having a presence and attitude and takeontheworld mentality. For months i laughed at that and said it was seguin who fit that not hall. I wanted seguin as an oiler and was paying close attention to him the entire season. When i watched oilchange i just felt that maybe i didnt want the loud personality, and got the feeling seguin thought he was "too cool for school" and halls demeanor and comments made me flip my choice. Again, i didnt flip to knocking seguin right out of the discussion...they were always close but i was willing to go with the winger who had been surrounded by talent rather than draft the centre who had a very weak team and single handedly got them into the playoffs. Its still so close. Id have loved to have both. Idstill love to have both. As far as i know they are still friends as well. Very different personalities.

Also...i stand by hall. But i stand by lots of guys that get the expendable treatment from the board (except i wanted hemsky gone in 2009 and never defended him since except when i felt he gave good efforts but didnt change that i wanted him traded)

Our revolving door is a big issue imho.

I said it all along the Seguin was to immature and still is and needs the isolation of a place like Dallas where he will thrive. If he can't not be in the spotlight for all the reasons like boston where he's essentially behind the other two teams (pats/red sox) then how the hell would he handle Edmonton. I think Hall needs to mature but he is light years ahead of Seguin and blame that on Oiler management giving him and Eberle a place to live on there own and raise themselves. If Hall got drafted by Boston he would be on there team. If Seguin was drafted here - even Mr. Bold moves would understand he has to trade the guy.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I said it all along the Seguin was to immature and still is and needs the isolation of a place like Dallas where he will thrive. If he can't not be in the spotlight for all the reasons like boston where he's essentially behind the other two teams (pats/red sox) then how the hell would he handle Edmonton. I think Hall needs to mature but he is light years ahead of Seguin and blame that on Oiler management giving him and Eberle a place to live on there own and raise themselves. If Hall got drafted by Boston he would be on there team. If Seguin was drafted here - even Mr. Bold moves would understand he has to trade the guy.

Funny how people talk like they know players. Hall mature and Seguin not? How the heck do you know anything about either? From some media propaganda? Some one who knows someone who saw them in a bar?

Funny stuff.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Funny how people talk like they know players. Hall mature and Seguin not? How the heck do you know anything about either? From some media propaganda? Some one who knows someone who saw them in a bar?

Funny stuff.

Very well documented info (family who likes to party, drinking problems) about Seguin, even before draft time which in my books isn't my concern. I think where it alarmed Bruins management was when he misses curfew shows up looking disheveled wearing the same clothes from not the night before but from 2 days before. The kid draws attention on to himself - like I said wouldn't have made it in a market like Edmonton.

As for Hall when you look at the contrasts of a Crosby living with Lemieux, or P. Kane living with Pat Verbeek and countless others then you see who Hall is living with, and being mentored by then you see why the team is where there at. And yes I can name about 50 friends (not just myself) who know Hall's extracurricular activities, as like I said isn't my issue he seems to still be professional. For all intents and purposes it's managements issue to take care of them, growth them and mature them.

gurru991

Dec 14, 2014
Edmonton
Rumours & Innuendos, All I know is every team in the league including Boston would take Sequin in a heartbeat. The comparison between Hall & Sequin will never go away due to their draft positions but I personally would take Seguin every day of the week. Hall is very one dimensional.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

Isolation of a place like Dallas? LOL you clearly havent been there. Do you know the half of what the Cowboys have been up to there over the years? :laugh:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Rumours & Innuendos, All I know is every team in the league including Boston would take Sequin in a heartbeat. The comparison between Hall & Sequin will never go away due to their draft positions but I personally would take Seguin every day of the week. Hall is very one dimensional.

LOL Hall had to play centre for like 2weeks last year and was badly exposed. Seguin played on his unnatural wing for years with Boston and thrived.

Now in his natural centre role he is dominating.

SchultzSquared*

This right here should erase any credibility you had in this argument... still not a full time C... but you are an expert on Seguin amirite

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Thanks for your input Canuck fan. All of which is invalid.

This right here should erase any credibility you had in this argument... still not a full time C... but you are an expert on Seguin amirite

No kidding. Love how people turn on Hall and use Seguin as C argument without actually confirming the facts

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Isolation of a place like Dallas? LOL you clearly havent been there. Do you know the half of what the Cowboys have been up to there over the years? :laugh:

Actually Dallas is one of my favourite places, and one of my go to places when i go down south. The stars aren't the big team on the map and theres more people there so that does equal more isolation vs living in a small fish bowl like Edmonton, plus Seguin's going to be known by hockey fans, ask the general public who romo or dez bryant are and more people will know

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

If Seguin didn't need mature players surrounded by him I would be fine with that. Most fans on this board have to get away from playing fantasy sports. Teams have dynamics that make them work characters and personalities are a necessity to championships. Watch this doc where Boston was contemplating trading Seguin you had Neely, Charelli all of the big guys wanted him gone. Now tell me this (btw I wish you could find the whole thing - how many times do you have a whole room of GM's who have issues not of your on ice issues but your off ice issues - elsewhere in the doc almost unanimously was mentioned). I am sorry all you Seguin posters but this is why the Oilers won't ever win while the Boston's and L.A.'s put character and drive to learn and be leaders the Oil just want high flying first rounders who do coke all night and drink and try win the next day (and you know who they are) - good luck with that)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRyIgatcTAs

0:57 doesn't fit the culture
2:28 they knew was going to be a great player
2:37 Director of player personnel to many red flags
3:20 Cam Neely talking

Also knowing Claude Julien one of the most genuine, down to earth best teachers out there i am sure the wonders of Eakins, Kruger and all the others would be doing magic.

Final add the most important element in teams is that other players around you make you better or worse I think the line Seguin fits him perfectly he's skilled but he is soft, and i really want to see him in the western conference playoffs where it's physical you look at the centers he would be matched Kopitar, Toews, Thornton, Getzlaf all big guys who play big games. I'll tell you this if in my lifetime Oilers make the playoffs Hall will be a perfect guy in the playoffs he plays the style you need to win - so relax Oiler fans as much as Seguin scores as Larry Robinson once said it doesn't matter how many goals or how many wins you had at the end all that matters is your the last team standing holding that trophy over your head.

Last edited:

Ranford#30

Oct 21, 2005
I've had a change of heart. Before I didn't think he asked for a trade but didn't care if he did or it if it happened but now nope, Hall should stay.

After thinking back on the pre-draft when I was staunchly in favor of drafting Seguin right up until about the last week, I remember seeing some of the pre-draft shows (maybe Oil Change) and noticing their personalities. Seguin who I thought was the better player and fit was just too flaky, I decided his personality probably wouldn't work in Edmonton.

Then I remembered immediately after Hall's pre-draft interview he said how he hoped it went well cause that's where he wanted to go. Hall just seemed more genuine to go with his driven reputation so I switched camps and still feel it was the right choice. The point of that is that now I don't want to see Hall traded at all for whatever return, he belongs here and want to see us find success somehow and if he said that he doesn't want to leave I don't think it's posturing or anything like that at all, because whether he's too honest or dumb he's likely not lying about it.

Hall's a very specific player, more like a blunt object that you shoot at your opponents and bless his dumb heart he just keeps on going for it cause he doesn't know any other approach. Win or lose I hope we stick with Hall (and hopefully find a way to win)

Yup, I agree. Hall has a more humble and quietness about him that I liked leading up to the draft and afterwards. Seguin just seems like a self-involved flake. He couldn't handle to Boston, which is a strong hockey town, but still plays 4th fiddle to the Red Sox, Pats, and Celtics. He's thriving in Dallas because he's got space to be a flake and not be accountable. He would fail miserably here in Edmonton given the same set of circumstances that Hall has encountered. Just look at this self-serving website that Seguin recently launched:

http://www.tylerseguin.com/

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Currently hall is dealing with learning how to layaway from the puck(I wish it was only playing in his own zone, that would be easy). He is either going to become a better player or he is going to fail. This should have happened a few years ago. A lot of players only go through this when they are traded the first time.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Who cares about Hall and Seguins extracurricular activities. They're still in their early 20's and doing what guys do at that age. Now if they were in their late 20's-early 30's then that's a differant story.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
LOL Hall had to play centre for like 2weeks last year and was badly exposed. Seguin played on his unnatural wing for years with Boston and thrived.

It was two games, not two weeks. Two games where he was saddled with an apathetic Hemsky and a broken down Smyth, at the start of the Eakins era where everyone looked exposed in the worst season start in franchise history.

Declaring that Hall was badly exposed based on those factors, and then ignoring years of sheltered and disciplined development Seguin was forced into by comparison, makes for an overall bad argument.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
That Tyler Seguin website is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

I get a Tim & Eric vibe from it.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
7qkYK07.png

How is this real!?!?!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LeftWinger44

Feb 1, 2008
Edmonton
Regardless of what you think about his website, tonight's game showed that Seguin delivers when his team needs him to. On another note, Seguin is 150% more productive in scoring goals so far this season than the subject of this thread.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
7qkYK07.png

How is this real!?!?!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I love that site its almost like hes intentionally trolling taylor hall with those poorly worded cliche motivational comments.

Whats next "the best thing about winning....not losing".:laugh:

Still would have been a better pick than Hall. 1st line centres are worth their weight in gold. Last winger to carry a team is Ovie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad