Do you think Ryan will re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Better in doing what ? Hitting ? Slashing players with hockey stick ?

Bobby Ryan 378 GP 147G 142A 289Pts +40
Phil Kessel 504GP 185G 194A 379Pts -36

I take Ryan.

Not sure what those numbers are proving but you've got homer goggles on. I love Ryan and despise the Leafs, but to think that Ryan is better is a huge stretch.

Not saying that Kessel is way better, but he is one of the most dangerous wingers in the NHL. Ryan...top 20?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Not sure what those numbers are proving but you've got homer goggles on. I love Ryan and despise the Leafs, but to think that Ryan is better is a huge stretch.

Not saying that Kessel is way better, but he is one of the most dangerous wingers in the NHL. Ryan...top 20?

The difference between the two is speed. They both can score.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Kessel is better than Ryan at this point, for sure.

But having said that, I believe that we've seen Kessel at or near his peak in terms of performance. He's been given every opportunity in the world to be the go to guy in Toronto, which he is now, but it certainly didnt happen over night (success that is).

As long as he keeps it, Kessel's speed will keep him a dominant player longer than Ryan in the grand scheme of things. I still think Ryan could prove to be the more dominant of the two when playing at their maximum potential.

A big man that can dangle and shoot as well as he can is a thing to be feared, and while the shelf life of a power-forwards is short, a Kessel type forward cant dominate the game to the same degree as a prime PWF.

tehdee

Feb 4, 2008
That's why I'd rather see Ryan playing with Turris who I think is trending upwards & will continue to get better & could very well be the future of this team.

this.

actually surprised ive yet to see similar sentiment expressed around these parts.

hitching the ryan wagon to spezza's horse may prove problematic, especially if spezza's injury history repeats itself. to flourish, contribute and ultimately feel as though ottawa is a market he would like to re-sign with, consistency is paramount.

all this talk of spezza and ryan building chemistry....? maybe it wouldnt be such a bad idea to try ryan and turris out together... [sadly it'll probably happen sooner than later-- not by design.]

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This morning Pierre thought if Ryan does resign with Ottawa that he would be going to Philly.

Trading for him might go down as one of the worst moves the sens have made since the loss of Chara/Hossa.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
This morning Pierre thought if Ryan does resign with Ottawa that he would be going to Philly.

Trading for him might go down as one of the worst moves the sens have made since the loss of Chara/Hossa.

I don't think Silfverberg, Noesen or the 1st pick ever get to the level of Hossa/Chara. So to me, it's nowhere near the worst move.

I don't see this being as bad as people think it is, even if we do lose Bobby.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

It'll be funny as hell if our pick "wins" the draft lottery this year. The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
"He's an incredible, one-of-a-kind player," Ryan said. "I'm very fortunate where I am with (Anaheim linemates) Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry when we're together, but Claude Giroux has done things to elevate his team to a new level. If I were to come to Philly, I would love to be alongside him."

That's what Ryan said last year

Philly has some parts to get him too - Simmonds, Laughtom, 1st and I'd pounce on it. Ryan and Greening (?) to Flyers

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
It'll be funny as hell if our pick "wins" the draft lottery this year. The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised.

Hell, when we finished with our worst record in over a decade in 2010-11, we "lost" the draft lottery when New Jersey won the lottery and bumped us out of the top-5 spot for the draft (not that it made a difference) :laugh:

otown

Sep 4, 2009
I can't see Ryan wanting to be here as long as Maclean is here. He will be traded!

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Philly has some parts to get him too - Simmonds, Laughtom, 1st and I'd pounce on it. Ryan and Greening (?) to Flyers

There would be literally no chance the Flyers would trade Simmonds for Ryan. He is out producing him and while being less skilled, he is a power forward.

I just don't see the Flyers giving much up at the deadline for him or in the summer. If he re-signs there, the rumors can finally die, if not we will wait.

That package you proposed to get him is much better than what you gave up to get Ryan to play in Anaheim. He is one year away from free agency instead of two now and his value is diminished. Not saying he is worth nothing but you won't get the same return.

Last edited:

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
If Ryan doesn't re-sign by the end of summer, he will be traded.....However, I do believe that if Ottawa pays him what he wants, he will re-sign as I don't think anyone else is giving him more than 6 mil a year.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If Ryan doesn't re-sign by the end of summer, he will be traded.....However, I do believe that if Ottawa pays him what he wants, he will re-sign as I don't think anyone else is giving him more than 6 mil a year.

When he becomes a UFA many teams will give him 7million+.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Of course just about anyone will sign or re-sign if you grossly overpay so Ryan might stay for a tidy $7.5M - $8.5M + per year.

I'll bet if BM tries to trade Ryan he couldn't get anywhere near what he gave up for him. He'd be lucky if he fetches a current player or prospect and/or a 2nd pick but not all 3. Not that Ryan isn't a good player but frankly Bryan Murray had his pocket picked again overpaying for someone's excess baggage.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well his production has been rather bad since the Olympic snub

I think how the year's gone and the year he's had means the whole thing is on hold: he's likely not considering staying at the moment but things can change in a hurry if the team performs next year

Now is not a good time to be thinking too far down the line

Our team ****ing sucked major **** this year so the right thing to do is focus on next year, no point in looking further in terms of immediate asset management

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
His family is in Philly, so no surprise if he wants to return there.

I agree Philly would be a great trade candidate. I doubt we get Simmonds (would love to), but I think getting one of Schenn or Laughton, along with a 1st is possible. If we could get one of their young centers (Schenn, Couturier or Laughton) and either a 1st or Simmonds, I'd be all over that deal. Homer loves to wheel and deal, so who knows.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Philly isn't going to trade for Ryan when they have a better shot than anyone at signing him if he becomes a UFA

Plus they don't need a guy like Ryan, they need defense and goaltending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad