Do you think Ryan will re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Seems impossible not to like this guy. It's funny that hes somewhat shy by nature, and doesn't like the spotlight. From what I've seen he's obviously a pretty funny guy, and seems completely natural and comfortable with a camera on him.

The Fuhr*

Is what Kessel signs within the next year a good benchmark for what Ryan's deal will be.

I think Ryan is just as good and as proven as Kessel.

Kessel could demand 8.5x8

If Kessel gets that, and Ryan demands the same do we re-sign him?

And if Ryan is going to get 8.5, will Spezza ask for 9.0?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I think Ryan is just as good and as proven as Kessel.
Kessel is better. The next two years will determine Ryan's contract, not what he has done in the past, while Kessel has been a ppg player recently enough to garner a large contract as the negotiations are happening right now.

The next two years will determine if he gets an 8m+ contract or 6m+ but it'll depend on how he plays. If he play well, then great we benefit in the mean time.

Topside

Jul 2, 2009
Kessel won't get that. If Ryan asks for that he'll hit the open market and learn what his real value is. (all depending on how this season goes)

The Fuhr*

No and No. I doubt that's what they get/how it goes anyways though.

They are UFAs to be ... I'm worried if that's what they ask for and we say no then another team will give it to them.

If the team can't get them signed, are we entering another rebuild a year from now

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
They are UFAs to be ... I'm worried if that's what they ask for and we say no then another team will give it to them.

If the team can't get them signed, are we entering another rebuild a year from now

Fuhr, you're like the Glen Sather of UFA predicitions. 8.5 & 9M....settle down.

The Fuhr*

Kessel is better. The next two years will determine Ryan's contract, not what he has done in the past, while Kessel has been a ppg player recently enough to garner a large contract as the negotiations are happening right now.

The next two years will determine if he gets an 8m+ contract or 6m+ but it'll depend on how he plays. If he play well, then great we benefit in the mean time.

Kessel has four 30+G seasons and one year 70+ points

Ryan has four 30+G seasons and one year of 70+ points

Topside

Jul 2, 2009

Last two seasons Kessel has been a PPG or better. Ryan has 30 in 46gp, and 57 in 82gp. Kessel also does this while playing for the Leafs and being centred by Tyler Bozak.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
UFAs get paid in the NHL

I understand that, just considerably less than the 4-5M you were predicting for Greening. But hey, only off by 100% right?

I'm just saying it's hard to predict future worth. If they both catch fire in a bottle then sure, but to sit here and say that both these players will be making Crosby money in 2 years is a little bit of a leap, you think?

You're going to immediately cite the cap rising and the percentage of which that will increase the player salary, and I'm going to disagree.

The Fuhr*

I understand that, just considerably less than the 4-5M you were predicting for Greening. But hey, only off by 100% right

I said if he had a year similar to Bryan Bickell
Look what David Clarkson got

Good on the Sens for getting him signed... But he also got a NTC and you have to believe that cost some money from his end.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007

Perception has to play in here. I would assume (and hope) that not many Sens posters here see Ryan as the superior player to Kessel at this point. If so, they're wrong.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
I said if he had a year similar to Bryan Bickell
Look what David Clarkson got

Good on the Sens for getting him signed... But he also got a NTC and you have to believe that cost some money from his end.

Not quoting you on purpose all the time, just enjoying the discussion.

Modified NTC if I'm not mistaken - not a full on limit. Does hamper the trade return if required, but not by a whole lot. I see the modified NTC's as a minor concession from the team.

Anyways, I get your point. I don't mean to generalize, but you're always on the high end of the UFA talk that's why I pointed it out. In a perfect world under perfect circumstances these players will get paid - but Spezza in particular (injury history) would be hard pressed to receive term and dollars of a high magnitude from a club on his next deal.

The Fuhr*

I thought Spezza and Ryan would be around 16 million but then seeing what Kessel could go for got me worried.

With a 75 million dollar cap is 18 million to Spezza and Ryan to much? I'm not sure

That's like 15% of the cap to those two players... Less if the cap goes up.

When Spezza and Heatley signed with us they combined for 15 million on a cap around 55 million I believe.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Fuhr, you've been wrong with your cap predictions before and you will be wrong again. Cap will rise but not as much as you're saying
Using Perry/Getzlaf as a comparable, you can be confident players like Kessel as Spezza in the future will demand North of 8m, but still for me players will want what other players are getting as opposed to demanding a % of the cap.

But Ryan isn't comparable to those players. He'll have to put up some great numbers if he wants 8-9m. Getzlaf has been a dominant C and Perry got the MVP and the Ducks couldn't let them go.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It doesn't mean that Ottawa has to sign Spezza for more than he is making now, in fact, I wouldn't sign him if he wants more than $6 mil. This team has proven they can play without him & if they could get a good return given his injury history I would hope BM would think hard about trading him rather than re-signing him. He's had his big contract, he has some huge injury concerns & may not be an every day player any more. Alfredsson was getting better as he got older, I don't see Spezza getting better, I see him taking more games off because of injury concerns & playing less.

That's why I'd rather see Ryan playing with Turris who I think is trending upwards & will continue to get better & could very well be the future of this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad