Do you think of Tavares as a goal scorer?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
John Tavares .................. 12 goals & 32 points @ $11 mil cap hit
William Nylander ....... 13 goals & 30 points @ $7 mil cap hit
Zach Hymen ...................13 goals & 28 points @ $2.25 mil cap hit

Tavares cap hit cost per goal = $917k
Nylander cap hit cost per goal = $538K
Hyman cap hit cost per goal = $173K
Mackinnon: 15 goals @ 6.3m cap hit
Donskoi: 15 goals @ 3.9m cap hit

Mackinnon cap hit cost per goal = 420k
Donskoi cap hit cost per goal = 260k
--------------------------------------
Barkov: 16 goals @ 5.9m cap hit
Verhaegae: 17 goals @ 1.0m cap hit

Barkov cap hit cost per goal = 369k
Verhaegae cap hit cost per goal = 59k
Couturier: 11 goals @ 4.3m cap hit
Farabee: 14 goals @ 0.925m cap hit

Couturier cap hit cost per goal = 391k
Farabee cap hit cost per goal = 66k

So as you can see by my expert analysis, three of the best contracts in the entire league are actually bad. :teach2:

#thismathisaMess

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Absolutely just look at his career numbers, I feel people are quick to forget that he scored a career high 47 goals with us in 2018-19, he was a steady 30+ goal guy for his 9 seasons with NYI as well.

Tavares would be a #1 centre on pretty much any NHL team, we're so incredibly lucky to have the wealth of C depth that we have with Matthews, Tavares, Spezza, Thornton, Kerfoot and Galchenyuk all being guys who can fill the centre for us.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Mackinnon: 15 goals @ 6.3m cap hit
Donskoi: 15 goals @ 3.9m cap hit

Mackinnon cap hit cost per goal = 420k
Donskoi cap hit cost per goal = 260k
Barkov: 16 goals @ 5.9m cap hit
Verhaegae: 17 goals @ 1.0m cap hit

Barkov cap hit cost per goal = 369k
Verhaegae cap hit cost per goal = 59k
Couturier: 11 goals @ 4.3m cap hit
Farabee: 14 goals @ 0.925m cap hit

Couturier cap hit cost per goal = 391k
Farabee cap hit cost per goal = 66k

So as you can see by my expert analysis, three of the best contracts in the entire league are actually bad. :teach2:

#thismathisaMess

BoldFocusedDog-size_restricted.gif

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Definitely a goal scorer but i think people are focussing on the recent play.
(65 points in 82 games, @11M)

We knew he wouldn't be worth his AAV until the end of his contract. Here’s hoping it’s a blip and he doesn’t continue declining at this rate

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Yes, he's a goalscorer -- but not in the same sense as Auston Matthews.

Matthews is a distance scorer / sniper. You give him the puck in open ice with a goalie moving or screened, and there's a good chance it's going in the net, especially with his quick release.

Tavares has always been a "nose for the net" scorer -- picking up the garbage, screens, deflections, etc; somewhat similar to JVR. If they can find the right winger for him & Nylander -- somebody that going to be first in on the forecheck, and win puck battles, that trio could be extremely dangerous given Nylander's ability to control the puck with space.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I view Tavares as a jack of all trades. He can be a grinder/shutdown center. He can score and be a playmaker. He's starting to heat up at the right time too. Never gets down on himself and just keeps playing his game.
I haven't had an issue with him too much. Usually with Tavares, it's not a work ethic issue when he's off. It's an execution issue. Lately, he's been fantastic.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
he has been the leafs best and most consistent player for over a month now.
and frankly ill chalk up half of his shit games this year because he had jimmy vesey as a linemate.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
He’s never had blinding speed, but he plays a high iq strong positional game with quick hands and a good shot - He’s not the flashiest but he’s very effective.

Some might disagree, but I honestly can see his game aging pretty well

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
WTF happened to him? Not long ago, he looked like he was ready to go to Robidas island. This morning on my local radio, I heard that he had 14 goals (one behind Hyman, same as MM & Nylander ) before last night's game . Now, he has 16 and is second in goals.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Absolutely just look at his career numbers, I feel people are quick to forget that he scored a career high 47 goals with us in 2018-19, he was a steady 30+ goal guy for his 9 seasons with NYI as well.

Tavares would be a #1 centre on pretty much any NHL team, we're so incredibly lucky to have the wealth of C depth that we have with Matthews, Tavares, Spezza, Thornton, Kerfoot and Galchenyuk all being guys who can fill the centre for us.
It doesn’t matter what he did a few years ago. What matters is what he is contributing now and how much cap space he is burning.
He would be a number 1 centre on many teams but I doubt he would getb11 million from them

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The past few games he's scored a couple of goals using that wrist shot where he whips the puck straight up like a tennis ball in floor hockey. It's a shot that is definitely more effective when he's able to separate himself from the play or drift into space in the slot. Earlier in the year he was just getting smothered.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
He's always been known as a goal scorer but that doesn't mean he can't do other things. To me it seems he's gotten away from that in a sense since he came here. He tends to pass more now when in fact he should be shooting as he did last night. We are a pass first team (often to our detriment) and hopefully he'll get back to shooting when he should. We need that...badly.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He’s never had blinding speed, but he plays a high iq strong positional game with quick hands and a good shot - He’s not the flashiest but he’s very effective.

Some might disagree, but I honestly can see his game aging pretty well

He's got an easy game to slip onto LW if his skating takes a hit, I can see him bulking up a bit and becoming an absolute nightmare on the boards and in front of the net. You can keep him in the 30G/PPG range through the end of his contract as #1LW and have Nylander play 2C.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
He's got an easy game to slip onto LW if his skating takes a hit, I can see him bulking up a bit and becoming an absolute nightmare on the boards and in front of the net. You can keep him in the 30G/PPG range through the end of his contract as #1LW and have Nylander play 2C.

I'm not sure if I believe this is possible but I sure want to.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
WTF happened to him? Not long ago, he looked like he was ready to go to Robidas island. This morning on my local radio, I heard that he had 14 goals (one behind Hyman, same as MM & Nylander ) before last night's game . Now, he has 16 and is second in goals.

Turned out that John Tavares is good at hockey.

Shocker of a twist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad