Do you think of Tavares as a goal scorer?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I was doing some stat searching relating to Matthews, and I was a bit surprised at just how good Tavares has been over his career as a goal-scorer. He obviously had a big first year with Toronto that garnered a lot of attention, but since the emergence of Matthews, I feel like I never hear him talked about as a goal scorer.

The reality is that over the past 10 years in the league, he's 3rd in overall goals and 7th in goals per game played.

The one stat that sort of blew me away was the fact that over the past 10 years he has more goals than Patrick Kane in fewer games played.

I don't know, somehow I'd just sort of not realized or forgotten how good of a goal scorer JT is. Am I alone here, or this is a bit surprising to others as well?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Goes pretty under the radar since he’s less of a flashy scorer than others, but 3rd overall is a surprise

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think of him as well rounded offensively, just lacking speed. He can do whatever you ask of him in the offensive zone. If he's with a sniper, he can set them up, if he's with a playmaker he can get to the high-danger spots for the guy to find him. Crosby is a way better player, but Tavares at his best is similar but with worse skating.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He's been a bit more of a playmaker over his entire career. His G/A splits as a Leaf have been closer to even though (85 G, 95 A). I'd consider him adept at both aspects of offence.

Reactions: Ciao

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's a well-rounded forward who can score a crap ton of goals, so yes. However, by that definition, I wouldn't classify Matthews as a goal scorer either, even though he is arguably the best guy on the planet at scoring goals right now.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He's a well-rounded forward who can score a crap ton of goals, so yes. However, by that definition, I wouldn't classify Matthews as a goal scorer either, even though he is arguably the best guy on the planet at scoring goals right now.

tenor.gif

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Not anymore. He doesn’t have that touch in close anymore and I haven’t seen him beat a goalie clean in a long, loooong time...

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Uh, Patrick Kane shocked you? The guy that Mitch Marner is perennially used as a comparison, and has never been seen as a goal scorer?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Uh, Patrick Kane shocked you? The guy that Mitch Marner is perennially used as a comparison, and has never been seen as a goal scorer?

I feel like the keys you hit formed words but I don’t understand them.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I feel like the keys you hit formed words but I don’t understand them.

"The one stat that sort of blew me away was the fact that over the past 10 years he has more goals than Patrick Kane in fewer games played."

why would that blow you away while discussing Tavares as a goal scorer? I can see why you don't understand what i said

The same Tavares that almost scored 50 goals his first season here, you are asking 2 years later if we see him as a goal scorer

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Patrick Kane has scored a shitton of goals and is a much better scorer than Marner. He's 2 or 3 seasons away from 500. It's not like he's Joe Thornton.

Reactions: ACC1224

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
"The one stat that sort of blew me away was the fact that over the past 10 years he has more goals than Patrick Kane in fewer games played."

why would that blow you away while discussing Tavares as a goal scorer? I can see why you don't understand what i said

The same Tavares that almost scored 50 goals his first season here, you are asking 2 years later if we see him as a goal scorer

Correct, that was the question being asked.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

he is saying he is surprised Tavares has the third most goals in the last 10 years and more than Kane ... and since Matthews has become an sniper nobody talks about tavares being an elite sniper now

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Matthews could overshadow the Statue of Liberty. Everyone else is a mere mortal on the same team. Tavares is a very good goal scorer, no doubt he would have more if he was in a #1 centre situation in terms of ice time, Marner feeding him etc. He is getting older, at the tail end of the prime of his career though. He should be able to pot 25-30 (full seasons) until he's 34.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would say JT is Like Sid except not as good as Sid.

Yeah, if you watch his Islanders footage the similarities with Sidney Crosby’s high skill grinder game is obvious. On the style spectrum he’s probably closer to being an in close or high slot kind of scorer than a pure sniper like a Kessel or Stamkos.

Reactions: Gabriel426

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
JT has a fantastic shot, it’s always released with bad intent. This isn’t a serious debate is it? Of course he’s a goal scorer.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Seems to me like his shot isn't as good as it was in past ... he is still getting his chances every game which is a positive ... but he is not scoring like he used to on his kill zone chances ... I have no stat records on this observation but just seeing it from da eye test ...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
John Tavares .................. 12 goals & 32 points @ $11 mil cap hit
William Nylander ....... 13 goals & 30 points @ $7 mil cap hit
Zach Hymen ...................13 goals & 28 points @ $2.25 mil cap hit

Tavares cap hit cost per goal = $917k
Nylander cap hit cost per goal = $538K
Hyman cap hit cost per goal = $173K

Last edited:

Ad