Do you think Chris Tierney is the next Logan Couture?

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
He is quick, has excellent vision, and is an excellent playmaker. I believe he will grow into a very good defensive player as well. I don't see Couture's 1v1 skill, or the lethal wrist shot, but he brings a very nice skillset, and his upside is certainly in the top 6 forward range.

Kind of reminds me of Brian Little (the 40 assist version, not the 30 goal version).

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I was surprised how well Tierney progressed after returning from Worcester. He looked like an entirely different player.

But I don't see in him the talent Couture has. Not even close really.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I was looking at their numbers today and just thinking about how long it took for both Tierney and Couture to finally get their call ups with the Sharks and the kind of impact they made once they did, and it made me think that Tierney has the potential to be the next Couture. I mean just look at their numbers too:

Couture: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=89766

Tierney: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130612

I mean I haven't watched Tierney enough this season so I could be way off but from what I saw he had some flashes of brilliance just like Couture when we all saw him for the first time. And I'm not saying his overall play will be the same as Couture's, I'm talking more about his offensive potential, so I think I'd say yes. I mean, Couture's highest point total is 67 so its not too far fetched. Anyways, what do you guys think?

From what I've been reading about him and now saw, I've been thinking of him as the next pavelski for a year or so

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
He's a more gifted playmaker than Couture, and his two-way play will probably be just as strong as Couture's is.

With that said, I don't see Tierney ever scoring 30 goals in a season. Couture has a higher skill level and a much better shot. The Bryan Little comparison for Tierney is a good one.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Some perspective on scoring totals: Couture's mere 67 points put him ahead of guys like Toews, Zetterberg and Thornton.

I believe he finished 22nd among forwards and did it while often playing against the other teams best.

That tells me two things, he's kinda good & league wide scoring continues to drop.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I believe he finished 22nd among forwards and did it while often playing against the other teams best.

That tells me two things, he's kinda good & league wide scoring continues to drop.

He did it while playing against the other teams' best players, and while babysitting Marleau +1 all year long

Couture was a force this year

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
He's a more gifted playmaker than Couture, and his two-way play will probably be just as strong as Couture's is.

With that said, I don't see Tierney ever scoring 30 goals in a season. Couture has a higher skill level and a much better shot. The Bryan Little comparison for Tierney is a good one.

So he's the next Joe Thornton? :sarcasm:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
^ Yeah, forget about all that "scoring" and "defense" nonsense that Couture brings in spades

This team needs "gutz"

More seriously, Tierney could become 2/3 the player Logan is and I'd be ecstatic with him

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
I hope not, as I see Couture being over-rated. He did not back up the hype from last year at all.

Failed to back up the hype? His pts/game was literally identical: 53/65 = .82, 67/82 = .82 and his goals per game was also nearly identical.

As for Tierney, I'm very excited by his progress and how he looked this year, but Couture is one of the best young offensive players in the league. It seems little optimistic to start predicting Tierney will be at the level.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
the next Logan Couture? I hope not. The sharks need tenacity and physicality and Couture brings none of this.

:laugh:

Thornton with 39 hits all season. Out hit by Mike Brown with 12 games played.

Still probably worships Jumbo, and irrationally shuns Couture, despite the above viewpoint.

^ Yeah, forget about all that "scoring" and "defense" nonsense that Couture brings in spades

Less than a hit per game, man. :shakehead "scoring" and "defense" :sarcasm:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Failed to back up the hype? His pts/game was literally identical: 53/65 = .82, 67/82 = .82 and his goals per game was also nearly identical.

As for Tierney, I'm very excited by his progress and how he looked this year, but Couture is one of the best young offensive players in the league.

Couture is not young anymore. Will be 27 next year, which is the average age of an NHL'er. He's middle aged. :)

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Couture had injuries to deal with in 13-14 season. This year he had Marleau and Nieto to deal with. Maybe next year he'll shine to his potential.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Like others have said, he's a different player. I LOVE his hockey IQ. He always seems to make plays even in the oddest situations. Really special.

Couture has a different skill set entirely. Not on par with Tierney's IQ, but just about everything else is superior.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think they would complement each other pretty well if they were on the same line. Tierney as the F2 and Couture as the F3 would be fun to watch.
Karlsson-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Hertl-Wingels
Couture-Tierney-Nieto
xxx-Smith-xxx

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
This is pretty much what I said when 'Tierney is the next Pavelski' was a thing.

Depending on what role they see Tierney playing going forward, I think he could possibly be a good 2C on a scoring line or a high end 3C on a 'shutdown' line (both based on production).

I love Tierney, have since prior to his draft year and while his final 20+ games were excellent there wasn't a whole lot that surprised me. His high end hockey IQ, playmaking skills and developing defensive game were all on display.

Tierney's IQ is on par with Pavelski's. When Pavs broke in, he was seen as a 3C with max 2C upside. But every year, a new season started and Pavs was better than before. We can only hope that Tierney figures out how to reinvent himself every off season like Pavs did. Honestly, odds are against that, but a two way middle six guy we can rely upon to do the right thing is nothing to sneeze at. Hope we keep him in the line up (ie, no trade bait)

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I gotta say from what I saw of him, I really do love his hockey IQ. He seems to make the most out of sticky situations and is good with the puck and making plays out of nothing. Now that I think about it, he could turn out to be more like Thornton but the good thing is that he's not big and slow. I guess I was just comparing him more to Couture because of his numbers and sort of how they both came up to the team at a similar age after killing it in the OHL for so long.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I gotta say from what I saw of him, I really do love his hockey IQ. He seems to make the most out of sticky situations and is good with the puck and making plays out of nothing. Now that I think about it, he could turn out to be more like Thornton but the good thing is that he's not big and slow. I guess I was just comparing him more to Couture because of his numbers and sort of how they both came up to the team at a similar age after killing it in the OHL for so long.

He's not big or slow, sure. He's not super fast either and he can get pushed off the puck pretty easily. that all said, the guy often still makes a play even when that happens! Love it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad