Do you think Chris Tierney is the next Logan Couture?

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I was looking at their numbers today and just thinking about how long it took for both Tierney and Couture to finally get their call ups with the Sharks and the kind of impact they made once they did, and it made me think that Tierney has the potential to be the next Couture. I mean just look at their numbers too:

Couture: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=89766

Tierney: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130612

I mean I haven't watched Tierney enough this season so I could be way off but from what I saw he had some flashes of brilliance just like Couture when we all saw him for the first time. And I'm not saying his overall play will be the same as Couture's, I'm talking more about his offensive potential, so I think I'd say yes. I mean, Couture's highest point total is 67 so its not too far fetched. Anyways, what do you guys think?

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
Before the season started I viewed Tierney as the Sharks 3C of the future. That still may be the case depending on how our center depth plays out in the next few years. But watching Tierney this season was incredible. His hockey IQ is off the charts and he's a very good playmaker. I think he can become a solid 2C if his development continues on the right path.

But Couture has superior offensive abilities that I don't think Tierney will touch. For starters, Couture has a great shot, is a good skater, can score, and can play the shutdown role against top lines and still produce (even if he struggled defensively this year). At 20 years old Tierney is showing some great qualities and may be able to rack up some points like we saw in the last quarter of the season, but his offensive and defensive game will never quite be as good as Couture's.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Tierney is almost as smart as Couture already. He went on a scary good run at the end of the season. His ability to bring a consistent effort is what I like about him over Couture.

That said, I'm not sure we'll give him the opportunity to be a 2C here, so I think I have to say Couture will/has been better for us offensively.

JayP812

The Team of Tomorrow
Aug 16, 2010
Bay Area
Stylistically, he is very similar to Thornton. He has shown the ability to get the perfect pass away in even the most unlikely offensive opportunities. Voted yes, really really excited to see how this kid turns out.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Stylistically, he is very similar to Thornton. He has shown the ability to get the perfect pass away in even the most unlikely offensive opportunities. Voted yes, really really excited to see how this kid turns out.

Meh, a huge part of Thornton's play is his strength, size, and boardwork. Tierney's is more of a finesse player IMO.

I also think he's got "it".

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
Before the season started I viewed Tierney as the Sharks 3C of the future. That still may be the case depending on how our center depth plays out in the next few years. But watching Tierney this season was incredible. His hockey IQ is off the charts and he's a very good playmaker. I think he can become a solid 2C if his development continues on the right path.

But Couture has superior offensive abilities that I don't think Tierney will touch. For starters, Couture has a great shot, is a good skater, can score, and can play the shutdown role against top lines and still produce (even if he struggled defensively this year). At 20 years old Tierney is showing some great qualities and may be able to rack up some points like we saw in the last quarter of the season, but his offensive and defensive game will never quite be as good as Couture's.

Well said.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Meh, a huge part of Thornton's play is his strength, size, and boardwork. Tierney's is more of a finesse player IMO.

I also think he's got "it".

Agree with the first part, don't agree with the 2nd.

Put him against top defensive comp and maybe I'll rethink but right now I don't see "it." Which is not to say that I "don't see it," if you get my meaning.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Why does he have to be the next Couture? Can't he just be the next Tierney or just a damn good hockey player?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Why does he have to be the next Couture? Can't he just be the next Tierney or just a damn good hockey player?

He's the new flavor of the month while Couture is the new "trade him now, we are doomed!" player of the offseason. Once again proving that Logan Couture will never win with HFSharks. Puts up 67 points while playing with Marleau who wasn't very good 3/4 of the year and no finish Nieto. I'm not all that interested in the Sharks trading Couture.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

This is pretty much what I said when 'Tierney is the next Pavelski' was a thing.

Depending on what role they see Tierney playing going forward, I think he could possibly be a good 2C on a scoring line or a high end 3C on a 'shutdown' line (both based on production).

I love Tierney, have since prior to his draft year and while his final 20+ games were excellent there wasn't a whole lot that surprised me. His high end hockey IQ, playmaking skills and developing defensive game were all on display.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I think he may be able to put up similar point totals in the future (maybe 60's) but I think they are very different players so don't really see the comparison unless it was strictly on a numbers basis. I am much higher on Tierney now than I was 12 months ago. I think he could be a solid 2nd line C now.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sure, why not? Technically, Tierney has been more impressive at 20 than Couture was. And it's not like his linemates are that much better than Couture's were.

But like, we've seen what happens when we assume stuff what we have. I'm not gonna have any expectations.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
He's the new flavor of the month while Couture is the new "trade him now, we are doomed!" player of the offseason. Once again proving that Logan Couture will never win with HFSharks. Puts up 67 points while playing with Marleau who wasn't very good 3/4 of the year and no finish Nieto. I'm not all that interested in the Sharks trading Couture.

Nailed it. Last season it was trade pavelski omg he is about to turn into a 4th liner, this year it is ditch Couture he doesn't pass the eye test.

I always heard about Tierney's defensive game before he got to SJ. Don't think he will ever snipe like Logan to put up high goal totally but I really like his play making. Different player then Logan

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I hope not, as I see Couture being over-rated. He did not back up the hype from last year at all.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

This

Couture was our best player last year, I have zero interest in trading him

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Who would you trade?

Burns

His value will never be higher, his contract will be enticing to other teams, and IMO he doesn't actually make our team better

There has never been a better time to trade him

Edit: Realized we're hella OT, I'm a big Tierney fan

I myself have been calling him "the next Couture" all year, though he'll be his own player

Really, to me he looks like a Couture/Pavelski hybrid, which is super exciting to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad