Do you think Chris Tierney is the next Logan Couture?

Zeroz

Frightened Inmate #2
Jul 20, 2011
Oregon
Been saying it for awhile, Tierney could be the a future team captain. Chris Tierney has the "it" factor, I don't see it in Logan Couture.

Well said.
The thing I've noticed with Logan is his mentality. He was extremely beat up about the reverse sweep and from his interviews still sounds down about things. I didn't hear him take much responsibility for this season in the exit interview. I was hoping to hear from Tierney too.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I said it near the end of the season and I'll say it again. At 20 years old I think he's already the best playmaking forward we have after Thornton. Chris is not much of a goalscorer, he's no speedster (although I think he's above average there), and his physical play leaves something to be desired, but his hockey IQ is off the charts and I would argue his vision and playmaking could be elite.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't hate him as our 2C assuming he keeps progressing the way he has. And on a slightly different note (considering the title of this thread), I would love to see Logan on Tierney's wing. I think those two together could be something special. If for whatever reason we ended up drafting Lawson Crouse, he would be the perfect third wheel there. A long-term 2nd line of Crouse-Tierney-Couture would be awesome.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I said it near the end of the season and I'll say it again. At 20 years old I think he's already the best playmaking forward we have after Thornton. Chris is not much of a goalscorer, he's no speedster (although I think he's above average there), and his physical play leaves something to be desired, but his hockey IQ is off the charts and I would argue his vision and playmaking could be elite.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't hate him as our 2C assuming he keeps progressing the way he has. And on a slightly different note (considering the title of this thread), I would love to see Logan on Tierney's wing. I think those two together could be something special. If for whatever reason we ended up drafting Lawson Crouse, he would be the perfect third wheel there. A long-term 2nd line of Crouse-Tierney-Couture would be awesome.

Henrik Sedin with more hustle.

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011
Well said.
The thing I've noticed with Logan is his mentality. He was extremely beat up about the reverse sweep and from his interviews still sounds down about things. I didn't hear him take much responsibility for this season in the exit interview. I was hoping to hear from Tierney too.

Couture said in interviews after this season ended that he needed to be better this season.

One thing I will say about Logan is that when the Sharks were up 3-0 on the Kings, he was the only Shark who said they need to keep the foot on the gas because, from experience, a 3-0 lead can quickly turn to 3-3.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think the issue with Couture is that, he isn't very strong, nor fast, and he seems to be unable to win matchups against other top centres; specifically those who have a lot of size. Even though Tierney isn't as big as Couture, I feel like his athleticism and style of play can help him match up better against other top players.

I don't think he's ever going to score 30 goals, or even 67 points, but, if he continues developing as well as he has, I think he can be just as valuable as Couture, if not more.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I hope Tierney spends the off season getting stronger and working on his face offs. If he can come into TC as a top end face off guy it is going to do wonders for this team.

I also hope whatever seemed to be bothering Logan last season is completely gone. He always seemed a bit off and yet still had a solid year... outside of the face off dot.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
I think the issue with Couture is that, he isn't very strong, nor fast, and he seems to be unable to win matchups against other top centres; specifically those who have a lot of size. Even though Tierney isn't as big as Couture, I feel like his athleticism and style of play can help him match up better against other top players.

I don't think he's ever going to score 30 goals, or even 67 points, but, if he continues developing as well as he has, I think he can be just as valuable as Couture, if not more.

Knowing that the listed Height and weights aren't always accurate....I thought Tierney was actually taller if he's not larger.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
The meme that couture doesn't beat top centers applies to our whole team. Jumbo does just as bad. Maybe only slightly better. A lot of times we are almost talking 50/50 against the big centers as well.

I will give jumbo credit because he beats up mercilessly on lesser competition.

Couture lead the team in ES points and p/60. He's a great player that is showing that he still has room to grow.

Tierney had an amazing end to the season. And he is our best hope at a real play maker.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Tierney's vision and hockey IQ could make him that awesome 3rd line C the Sharks have needed for a long time. Hopefully he works on his face-offs so he can become an elite 3rd line center.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Tierney's vision and hockey IQ could make him that awesome 3rd line C the Sharks have needed for a long time. Hopefully he works on his face-offs so he can become an elite 3rd line center.

He was very good in the OHL at faceoffs. It's just a matter of getting stronger

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Last offseason, my friend on another Hockey site told me he was sure Tierney was just going to force himself into the lineup. He has the attitude of a winner, improves every game, and soaks up knowledge like a sponge. Much better than his draft position indicates.

To me, I see a ceiling of great 2nd line center. A likelyhood of good second line center, but at worst, a good 3rd line center. Playing with skilled players certainly gave him a strong finish to the season.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Tierney had an amazing end to the season. And he is our best hope at a real play maker.

Don't really agree with that.

Goldobin's vision, offensive IQ and playmaking abilities are all high end and if things go well with him he could be something special.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

Goldobin's vision, offensive IQ and playmaking abilities are all high end and if things go well with him he could be something special.

Well I hope you're right but tierney can play in the NHL now. Not sure what goldobin can do. So as of now he's our best hope.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
The meme that couture doesn't beat top centers applies to our whole team. Jumbo does just as bad. Maybe only slightly better. A lot of times we are almost talking 50/50 against the big centers as well.

I will give jumbo credit because he beats up mercilessly on lesser competition.

Couture lead the team in ES points and p/60. He's a great player that is showing that he still has room to grow.

Jumbo is past his prime where he could dominate or win match ups against the other top tier centres. Couture is this teams best option at the shutdown role but needs a pair legit two way wingers.

Marleau had an off year but fills one of those spots not sure if Nieto is the other guy, it would be nice to bring in a FA who might be a bit more of defensive minded but not a black hole when it comes to the offensive zone.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Jumbo is past his prime where he could dominate or win match ups against the other top tier centres.

While he is past his absolute prime you might be surprised how well he actually fares against just about anyone, including other top centers. He even beats the Toews matchup. It seems to be more hard, physical defensive centers that give him trouble. Also seems like elite offensive pairings can work him over, which I guess is not that surprising. Spezza-Benn and Backstrom-Ovechkin were the most successful units against Thornton ... and everyone else in the league.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=372&withagainst=true&season=2014-15&sit=5v5

Last edited:

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009

I'd like to see Karlsson on either Tierney's or Hertl's wing. Get some chemistry going.

As a F or a C?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad