Do you think Canada were 'Bad Boys' in Canada vs USSR Summit Series during 1970's?

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Do you think Canada were 'Bad Boys' in Canada vs USSR Summit Series during 1970's?

Canada played very physical, dirty & often tried to injury players like Kharlamov, while Soviets just tried to win while playing more finesse & possession based hockey.

1972 Canada vs USSR Series (Bobby Clarke admits he intentionally injured Kharlamov & calls it 'part of the game'

1974 Canada vs USSR Series

Philadelphia Flyers vs CSKA Moscow

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Bobby Clarke intentionally slashes Valeri Kharlamov's ankle during 1972 Summit Series

Ed Van Impe's high steak vs Kharlamov

Ed Van Impe destroyes Kharlamov from behind

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
Soviets were plenty dirty themselves with their stickwork. Physicality and intimidation are a part of the game. The Canadian players were elite skill players but many of them had an edge to their game and there is nothing wrong with using every tool in your toolbox to defeat the opposition. That 72 team pulled out all the stops to win. That's the entire purpose of the game, to win, not win and be perfect angels doing it

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
I can not believe Canadians give this dirty player a pass but criticize modern players like Wilson who is an angel compared to Clarke.

He was a great hockey player, and Tom Wilson is a good hockey player. Yes both have thrown cheap shot, but that doesn't change the fact that they are good hockey players

What do you mean give pass? People acknowledge that he could be dirty, a pest at times. Well ok fine, and Clarke has been condemned for his actions on the ice at times...but big picture he's a legendary player

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
I can not believe Canadians give this dirty player a pass but criticize modern players like Wilson who is an angel compared to Clarke.
A Canadian attacking Kharlamov after he laughed at him for losing the match (1974):
19436b09de10ee1f58a04a68ceca4e50.gif

Reactions: User9992

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
He was a great hockey player, and Tom Wilson is a good hockey player. Yes both have thrown cheap shot, but that doesn't change the fact that they are good hockey players

But fans act like Wilson is some murderer while giving players like Clarke & Messier a pass.

Reactions: Sinistril

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
But fans act like Wilson is some murderer while giving players like Clarke & Messier a pass.

Well I don't know about that. The fans that remember Clarke and Messier certainly know what these guys could do on the ice. It's just that Wilson's behavior is more recent and a lot of the Clarke/Messier stuff happened in a pre social media world when there weren't 20,000 cameras recording the game from every angle

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Clarke was the "bad boy" of the Summit Series. Wouldn't really say that about anyone else on either team. Also to suggest that Clarke is "given a pass" in general for how he played is very inaccurate, both for his career in general and the Summit Series in particular.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Soviets were plenty dirty themselves with their stickwork. Physicality and intimidation are a part of the game. The Canadian players were elite skill players but many of them had an edge to their game and there is nothing wrong with using every tool in your toolbox to defeat the opposition. That 72 team pulled out all the stops to win. That's the entire purpose of the game, to win, not win and be perfect angels doing it
The soviets would skate behind you spearing you behind the kneecaps ALL GAME back then. It just wasn't as visible and a thunderous headshot.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I dunno about in the Summit Series in particular (if Tom Wilson was good enough to play for Canada in the Olympics, I'm sure a lot of people might overlook their normal feelings of the guy for those couple of weeks) but everyone knew Clarke was a dirty player.. he was definitely viewed very negatively by a lot of people during his career.

Reactions: User9992

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
Can't change the past. If anything the league deserves to be blamed for not doing enough to discourage vicious cheapshots.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Clarke was the "bad boy" of the Summit Series. Wouldn't really say that about anyone else on either team. Also to suggest that Clarke is "given a pass" in general for how he played is very inaccurate, both for his career in general and the Summit Series in particular.

Exactly. Clarke was known then, and is known now, as a real POS... a real POS who was also very good at the game of hockey. See also Messier and to some extent, Howe.

Otherwise it was just two separate hockey universes colliding and the Canadian game was much more overtly rough and tumble.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Look at this through a historical lens and don't apply modern morals and ethics to it.

By today's standards was Clarke's behavior ok? Hell f*** no.
By the 1970's standards was it ok? Sadly yes.

All the league can do is look at its past and work to prevent its future from looking like the 1970s.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
The time, and historical era was so different.

People often forget that the Soviets were THE best at nearly every sport. The US and Canada could not keep up. Hockey was just another battle between the great nations.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Canada played that series like they would have played any games that really mattered to them. Without a degree of violence it wouldn't have been a real 'best v best' game. You were looking in some ways at two different visions of the sport - Canadian 'war on ice' vs Russian 'soccer on ice'.

The Canadian vision won that series. But part of the problem with that Canadian approach was that in order to do that you need to have 100% buy-in from all players - including a willingness to dramatically increase the risk of serious injury - for an exhibition series. I think after that series, it was tough to get that. The Russian game prospered under less intense circumstances (hence their good results in most of these series in spite of inferior talent).

In the decades since, the sport overall has been taken over to some extent by the European and Russian approach to it. It's simply more suitable for the "#bekind" mentality of our age.

It's one of the ironies of sports that Canada, a very sophisticated and rational society with a strong focus on violence avoidance, played their favorite game in such a tempestuous violent way. Russia meanwhile has certainly been a more brutal and violent society than Canada and yet advocated a skill-focused and mostly non-violent way of playing the game.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Exactly. Clarke was known then, and is known now, as a real POS... a real POS who was also very good at the game of hockey. See also Messier and to some extent, Howe.

Otherwise it was just two separate hockey universes colliding and the Canadian game was much more overtly rough and tumble.

Came here to post and you took the words right out of my mouth. Clarke is a crappy human being in general. He hasn't exactly proven otherwise in his post-playing career either. I would be willing to bet he was in the top-10 most hated players by opposing fan bases in the league for the entirety of the 70s. My father and step-father were both in high school in Buffalo during the Broadstreet Bully days and to this day they talk about how big of a POS Clarke was...but begrudgingly admit he got the best of Perreault and the Sabres.

Reactions: Regular David Bruce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad