Do you think a 1-16 playoff matchup would be better than conferences?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
The NBA has had talks about this due to the parity (or lack there of) throughout the league because of the Golden State Warriors. The NHL is the most balanced league i've ever seen because I truly believe that any team that makes the playoff has a shot to win the cup, even if it's a slim chance. But with that being said, would having the top 16 teams make up the playoff seeding be a good idea to implement? Or would you want the conferences to stay?

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
The NBA has had talks about this due to the parity (or lack there of) throughout the league because of the Golden State Warriors. The NHL is the most balanced league i've ever seen because I truly believe that any team that makes the playoff has a shot to win the cup, even if it's a slim chance. But with that being said, would having the top 16 teams make up the playoff seeding be a good idea to implement? Or would you want the conferences to stay?

Theoretically yes, but it would never work given the large travel times and different time-zones. It also makes it less likely rivals play each other. 1-8 and 1-8 for the two conferences is ideal imo.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Theoretically yes, but it would never work given the large travel times and different time-zones. It also makes it less likely rivals play each other. 1-8 and 1-8 for the two conferences is ideal imo.
I understand the rival theory but travel, I have always disagreed with. These guys are flying in private jets with amazing accommodations, making millions of dollars, etc. They're professional athletes, and in the playoffs, there are no back-to-backs so they have time in between games anyways.

Reactions: HockeyAnalystGenius

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just don't think it's worth bringing up every week. It is what it is right now and it's going to stay that way.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
It'd be smarter to keep it the way it is now. The amount of potential cross-continent flights would be insane. Guys would be exhausted flying between say Vancouver and Tampa five times for a 7 game series in 14 days

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

You need to get out more.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
How about teams that collected more points in weaker divisions? But, I will like this playoff format, because strongest teams will meet in later rounds.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
To do a 1-16 format, you need to do away with a divisional set up, and play a balanced schedule where every team plays every other team the same amount of times. Any other set up for the regular season would be unfair for the playoff matchups.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I understand the rival theory but travel, I have always disagreed with. These guys are flying in private jets with amazing accommodations, making millions of dollars, etc. They're professional athletes, and in the playoffs, there are no back-to-backs so they have time in between games anyways.

I mean it is speculation on my part but I just feel like the playoffs would get progressively worse as they go on and as teams start dealing with large travel schedules and jet lag for 3-4 series' in a row potentially. Obviously I have no evidence that would occur.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
No. You're seriously underestimating how that travel would affect players. You don't magically not get jet lag just because you're in a private plane.
Let's be real, three hours is not a big jump. It's not like the jet lag is all that bad.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
New York to Los Angeles is not a 3 hour flight
I never said it was. I'm saying the biggest time difference would be EST to PST, which is three hours, so the jet lag is not that bad all things considered. It's not like it's 5+ hours like flying to Europe.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I never said it was. I'm saying the biggest time difference would be EST to PST, which is three hours, so the jet lag is not that bad all things considered. It's not like it's 5+ hours like flying to Europe.
It's not that bad as a one shot deal, but you'd be doing it 4 times in a 7 game series.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
It's not that bad as a one shot deal, but you'd be doing it 4 times in a 7 game series.
Or less, depending on the length of the series. And it helps that the first two home sets are two games, so you're there for 4-5 days overall before going to the next city. I'm not saying it's perfect but flying across the country (or a shorter distance) a few times in the span of two weeks isn't that bad.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not to derail the thread, but I can't stand the masturbatory "balanced league" rhetoric anymore.

The Red Wings won the Stanley Cup in June 2008. Champions since then in each of the 4 major leagues.

NFL - Giants, Steelers, Saints, Packers, Ravens, Patriots, Seahawks, Broncos, Eagles (9)

MLB - Red Sox, Phillies, Yankees, Giants, Cardinals, Royals, Cubs, Astros (8)

NBA - Lakers, Spurs, Mavs, Heat, Cavs, Warriors (6)

NHL - Pens, Bruins, Hawks, Kings (4)

Hockey fans - making fun of the NBA for having no parity, while talking about how much parity they have in their league that has less parity than the NBA.

Reactions: HockeyAnalystGenius

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Not to derail the thread, but I can't stand the *********ory "balanced league" rhetoric anymore.

The Red Wings won the Stanley Cup in June 2008. Champions since then in each of the 4 major leagues.

NFL - Giants, Steelers, Saints, Packers, Ravens, Patriots, Seahawks, Broncos, Eagles (9)

MLB - Red Sox, Phillies, Yankees, Giants, Cardinals, Royals, Cubs, Astros (8)

NBA - Lakers, Spurs, Mavs, Heat, Cavs, Warriors (6)

NHL - Pens, Bruins, Hawks, Kings (4)

Hockey fans - making fun of the NBA for having no parity, while talking about how much parity they have in their league that has less parity than the NBA.
While I agree with you, part of it might be that while the NHL has fewer winners, there are always different teams playing in the finals (Lightning, Sharks, Predators etc.). Recently in the NBA it has been a ton of Cavs/Warriors match ups, which makes it feel as though there's not much parity.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I don’t want a 1-16 but I would like to go back to the old 1-8 seeding for East and West.

When two or three teams in a division are the best in their conference I don’t like that these match ups come in the first or second round.

I realize the current format is to intensify rivalries but I don’t need this format to make pick teams to hate.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
While I agree with you, part of it might be that while the NHL has fewer winners, there are always different teams playing in the finals (Lightning, Sharks, Predators etc.). Recently in the NBA it has been a ton of Cavs/Warriors match ups, which makes it feel as though there's not much parity.

It's a good thing that two good teams are playing each other.

The SCF has been the runt of the litter compared to the NBA Finals, World Series, and Superbowls we've seen over the last ten years.

I watched more of the NBA Finals than the SCF last year and I don't even particularly like watching basketball.

1-16 would probably make me even less interested if anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad