Do you take Kane if.....

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
It doesn't matter if his low totals are due to injuries, his own skill level, or locker-room/personality issues. Fact of the matter is all three are concerns at this point (to varying degrees, admittedly) and he has had lower point totals year after year. That's the present situation and because of all of it, as well as the fact that he's already years into his career on a pricey contract (as opposed to a draft pick who would be beginning his career and have years of RFA and cost-controlled contract) I really doubt anybody is going to pay much more then the equivalent of a 10th overall for him. That and if Winnipeg has as big a desire to secure a playoff spot (and proceed further in the playoffs once there) they should be seeking an NHL ready contribution as opposed to a draft pick or prospect.

That's all why I wouldn't want to trade our first. Not just because of the doubts with him or that I think the Flyers need the pick, but also because I doubt he's going to net a huge return or that picks are their top priority.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
The majority of teams rumored to be interested are tight against the cap. The cap likely not going up much makes it pretty much a must that they'll be taking salary back not on the scale of MacDonald, Vinny, or Umberger though. The Flyers are one of those teams who would need to send a contract back something like L. Schenn or Grossmann though on an expiring contract.

Well, if Coburn is going back the other way that covers most of his cap hit. We'd need to shed another 700k. If Read is the other piece, we're actually gaining cap space, especially since we can afford to get rid of a defenseman as it is.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Well, if Coburn is going back the other way that covers most of his cap hit. We'd need to shed another 700k. If Read is the other piece, we're actually gaining cap space, especially since we can afford to get rid of a defenseman as it is.

I highly doubt they would take on both of them. If Read wasn't playing like **** I would imagine he would have been of more interest to the Jets than Coburn.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Are you kidding? You hope a top 10 pick ends up as well as Evander Kane. I don't understand why people think every top ten pick is a slam dunk, it's very rare to find actual top line talent, let alone a 30 goal scorer.

if you're hoping a top 10 pick does as well as Kane, you need to raise your expectations, BIG TIME. He is NOT a 30 goal scorer. The lone 30 goal season he did have is looking more and more like a fluke as the years go by. Hasn't even PACED for 30 goals since. I repeat, hasn't even PACED.

He's all style, no substance. Dont let his physical skills trick you into thinking he's anything more than average.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
if you're hoping a top 10 pick does as well as Kane, you need to raise your expectations, BIG TIME. He is NOT a 30 goal scorer. The lone 30 goal season he did have is looking more and more like a fluke as the years go by. Hasn't even PACED for 30 goals since. I repeat, hasn't even PACED.

He's all style, no substance. Dont let his physical skills trick you into thinking he's anything more than average.

I trust our scouts to pick a great player no matter where we're picking, and someone who has 10 years ahead of them as a Flyer.

And, even IF the Flyers would consider dealing their no. 1 pick, it would only be as part of a package for a stud #1 Dman, not a winger, and not likely to happen either.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If anyone gives up a pick in the top 20 for Kane, that's probably all they will get. I wouldn't touch a deal involving our 1st rounder.

Mason could be sidelined for some time now as well, we roll with Emery and Stolie until Zepp gets back. I don't think we will be winning many games during this stretch.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
^So who is said to have more interest than Philly at this point in time?
http://www.tsn.ca/conventional-vs-kane-ventional-wisdom-1.203159

It is true contending teams who had strong interest in a healthy Kane – Anaheim, Boston, Pittsburgh and Montreal, amongst others – dropped by the wayside, for the next three weeks anyway, the moment Kane opted for surgery.
Those teams could re-enter the Kane sweepstakes if they carry over to the summer.

It is also true non-playoff teams – Buffalo and Arizona, for example, to name only two – have interest in Kane and don't give a fig he won't be able to play until next season.
But where it really gets interesting is there are three current playoff teams – Vancouver, Calgary and to a far lesser extent Washington -- who have legitimate, if varying, levels of interest in Kane as a pre-deadline acquisition.
Yes, it's counter intuitive. A playoff bound team potentially giving up player or players off its roster now for a player who can't play until the fall. But the Canucks, Flames and Capitals have thought about it or would at least like to explore that possibility; Kane intrigues them that much.
Vancouver would be at the top of that list.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If the Flyers could deal Vinny and their 1st in 2015 for Kane, they should do it in an instant. I think Kane could score 35-40 goals on a line with Giroux and Voracek and is the natural LW the Flyers badly need. Vinny is an albatross with his contract and the Flyers pick (in the 10-12 range) will be a project. Kane is only 23 and has some nice term left on his deal - a change of scenery could do wonders for him.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
If the Flyers could deal Vinny and their 1st in 2015 for Kane, they should do it in an instant. I think Kane could score 35-40 goals on a line with Giroux and Voracek and is the natural LW the Flyers badly need. Vinny is an albatross with his contract and the Flyers pick (in the 10-12 range) will be a project. Kane is only 23 and has some nice term left on his deal - a change of scenery could do wonders for him.

So you're comfortable with Vinny + McDavid for Kane?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

Nope. You don't trade that high of a pick to unload a bad contract and get back a guy that's a huge question mark at this point.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
So you're comfortable with Vinny + McDavid for Kane?

The Flyers have 0.000000000000000001% chance of getting McDavid, Eichel or Hanifin. So, yes, I'm comfortable with Vinny and a project at 10-12 for Kane. Done like din-din.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
The Flyers have 0.000000000000000001% chance of getting McDavid, Eichel or Hanifin. So, yes, I'm comfortable with Vinny and a project at 10-12 for Kane. Done like din-din.

It's actually a 6% chance if we finish where we are right now.

Kane is a gamble, too. Admittedly less of a long shot than winning the draft lottery, but you have to factor all of that in.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
It's actually a 6% chance if we finish where we are right now.

Kane is a gamble, too. Admittedly less of a long shot than winning the draft lottery, but you have to factor all of that in.

The Flyers are going to do what they always do - get hot down the stretch, in attempts to sneak into the playoffs, and kill any chance of landing a Top 5 pick. This is like clockwork. They are getting hot again and will have a winning record down the stretch - book it. They won't pick any better than 10-12 overall, maybe in the 13-16 range when it's done. Yes, I bail on that pick in order to add a young, natural LW who could score a ton in the right situation. The only thing that needs to be factored in heavily is Kane's attitude and salary. In Philly, I think there's enough leaders on the team to keep Kane in check. And, if the Flyers are washing their hands of Lecavalier's contract in the process, getting Kane just got even better.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Here's no way I would trade the pick till after the lottery.

And at that point, the value of that pick drops significantly. Don't get me wrong - I'm not in favor of dealing that pick unless it's for a young player with high-end potential and term on his deal. Kane fits that bill IMO.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The last two months are pretty brutal for the Flyers on the schedule, whatever good is happening now will likely get wiped away. It may even start now if Mason is on the shelf long term.

I'd be surprised if they fell out of the top 10.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014

Actually it's a 6% chance. Not to mention an injured mason and certainly unloading Coburn, Kimmo, and possibly Shultz and MDZ at the deadline. They will pick between 7-10 at current projection and it is trending to get much worse, they could end up top 5 pre lottery. Also however small the possibility you have to consider it. Edm won 2 lottery picks in four years. You're gonna to kick yourself for 20 years if it turns into the #1. The risk is too high. To think otherwise is irrational and idiotic. If it were Crosby you wouldn't make that trade in a million years. McDavids numbers are close if better in some areas.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
No they aren't. Every team would take his $5.25 million through 2017-2018 season, which is good for a young and very skilled player in this era.

the Flyers would need to lose significant salary to acquire Kane. Even if they were interested which I don't think they are, a bad contract would have to go the other way.
If there was no cap I am sure Snider would tell Hextall to go all on Kane. Thankfully there is a salary cap.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
And at that point, the value of that pick drops significantly. Don't get me wrong - I'm not in favor of dealing that pick unless it's for a young player with high-end potential and term on his deal. Kane fits that bill IMO.

For about two years, when we are looking to trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad