Do you guys still believe?

Will we win a cup in our lifetime

• Total voters

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
I am sure I’m not the only one feeling like this these days.

Back in our prime (Gillis years), it honestly felt like the cup would be won. 2011 should have been the year but we got screwed.

I am turning 28 next month and I suddenly realized we are probably not seeing a cup ever. We are run by an awful owner, who I don’t even believe is a fan of the team.

He fired an all star staff who wanted to rebuild properly and replaced them with Benning and Weisbrod (what does weisbrod even do?).

It’s been 7 years and the payoff was winning a round in the playoffs before taking a step back.

What are your guys thoughts? Do you think we win a cup ever? Sure doesn’t feel like it as long as Aqua man and Benning are here.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
You are 28, you have at least 40 good years ahead of you (I hope). You will see the Canucks win the Stanley Cup.
That's a WTG promise @Bgav

Reactions: Bgav

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
No, but I am older than the average on this board. There are too many teams and an unlevel playing field, so at this point it's mathematically more unlikely than likely for me, which is both a morbid and frustrating thought.

2011 always felt too good to be true, and it pisses me off not only how many different things had to happen to prevent glory that year (I still think if you replay the series 100 times the Canucks win like 60 of them), but also how easily good fortune (which is not just luck) arrives for certain other fanbases.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
il_570xN.2122141808_86o1.jpg

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not sure about "lifetime" but I do believe the Canucks will win a Cup within the next 50 years.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
As an eternal pessimist, I don't see it happening. I wouldn't say it's the most fun way to live but I keep my expectations low to avoid disappointment.

It seems like so much has to line up for you to get even close, that 2011 was our chance in this lifetime or at least generation.

That team was absolutely stacked, the only thing it was missing was a true #1 D-man but the depth was so good it didn't even matter. We seem so far away from something like that right now.

If I forced myself to be optimistic, I'd say there's a good chance we have a legit 1C, 1D and 1G soon and all pretty young, so the foundation is there to strike lightning sometime down the road.

Reactions: Royal Canuck

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Sports are funny.

I don't like to look at super big picture outlooks, but I'm turning 26 in a couple weeks, and I feel blessed enough to witness the West Coast Express and the dominant run in the early 10's.

Things look grim right now, but all it takes is one change in the front office, or one player developing into something they weren't projected to be, and all of the sudden the world just flips upside down.

Look at the TB Buccaneers, you think two years ago, with Jameis Winston as their QB, they would win a super bowl in the NFC South? Not a chance. Tom Brady comes around and changes the culture, and boom, it happened. Even with the KC Chiefs, Mahomes wasn't supposed to be this good, but they lucked out, and things fell into place. I'm not saying that'll happen with Vancouver, but you can't look too far down the road and either lose hope or 'plan the parade'.

Being a Canucks fan means you've been through pain, with good teams and bad teams. You'd hope that karma would come around and the Canucks will win a cup one day, but I'm not hanging my hat on that idea. Just enjoy the ride.

Right now the ride sucks, but it'll make the good days a lot sweeter.

Reactions: Diversification

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
ppl who are serial optimists of the 3rd worst active franchise in nhl history surprise me. maybe 2nd worst considering the 2nd worst by points percentage has a cup.

NHL Records

one of the longest cup droughts in the big 4 and one of the few cupless organizations with more than a 40 year history in the big 4.

it can change quickly if you get lucky in the draft lottery or you get a masai ujiri like the raptors did.

you gotta take in the fun of it when ur at the top and demand greatness when there are struggles or downturns. settling for any less is a waste of time imo

Reactions: vanuck

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I’d like to think I live long enough to see just one cup win

I’m an Eagles and Raptors fan and both of those fanbases thought that they were doomed to go winless as well

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’d like to think I live long enough to see just one cup win

I’m an Eagles and Raptors fan and both of those fanbases thought that they were doomed to go winless as well
Think we could get that Raptor GM to come here? Now that guy is brilliant.

Reactions: Nucker101

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Loaded question seeing as how we're a broad range of ages. But, sure, why not? I'm definitely not smart enough to predict the future and who captures lightning in a bottle and when. That's why we're sports fans because at the beginning of every season and at the start of every playoffs, anything can happen.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
2011 should have been our chance but we got screwed by injuries and refs.. but i don't like to rehash that. Im in my thirties, im probbaly like any other fan out there diehard since the 94 run. didnt start to watch until 97/98 era. my uncle introduced me to it. been a hockey fan ever since. i'd love to see vancouver win a cup at somepoint in my life. i've seen it all. the turmoil the good/the bad and the absolute worse moments as a fan in canuck history.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Think we could get that Raptor GM to come here? Now that guy is brilliant.
I wish we had the hockey version of him.

Masai is basically like the anti-Benning. Amazing speaker, charismatic, inspirational, incredibly smart and surrounds himself with the right people. He's technically not the GM anymore, but he's definitely the leader of the franchise. Also doesn't hurt that MLSE stays out of his way when it comes to roster and staff management.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Not with Aqua. No one worth a damn will want to work for him, and he will never let a real rebuild happen when needed. Our best bet is if he lucks into someone else that can turn the core into a contending team, and stays the f*** away from making decisions.

I was born 11 days after the Stanley Cup Final in 1994, so hopefully there will be a cup in my lifetime.

Reactions: Burnaby Schmo

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
I’m 59. The Cup run in 1982 was unexpected, and the result not surprising. The 1994 run was perhaps the greatest SCF in modern times. Had Lafayette’s shot gone in I’d have been sporting a Cup tattoo for the last 26 years. 2011 was just the most unbelievable bad luck coupled with (and it’s been ten years, so not just sour grapes) a suspension that will never ever be matched.
The Canucks should have won.

I have zero faith in Vancouver seeing a Stanley Cup winner under this owner. None.
Might he sell? Sure. Anything’s possible. In a 32 team league, though, with a salary cap and every other team in the Conference as an obstacle, the odds of the Canucks winning it before I turn a hundred are no better than they are for most, and worse than they are for some.
What star UFA is going to pick the travel, housing, and taxes in Vancouver over saving millions playing in Vegas or Florida?
The myth of a level playing field is just that. The NHL may address it one day, but until then the majority of the BOG won’t be upset if Canada’s, never mind the Canucks’, Stanley Cup drought extends indefinitely.

Reactions: EastEnderVan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad