Do you guys still believe?

Will we win a cup in our lifetime

• Total voters

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
The pieces are obviously all not there. But there are pieces and a pretty wide window. Yes the team will be a contender soon. This season is not the droid you are looking for.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really all depends on how quickly the owner cleans house.

The 'good news' is that Canucks could win a Cup in my lifetime, and I'm more ancient than most. But the bad news, it'll never happen under the current regime. Simply not enough competence to ever fill out a Cup-winning roster.

So here we sit in the 'twilight zone era' of the Canucks, waiting for Godot or the owner to do something.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Of course I believe, that's why I'm here. If I didn't, I wouldn't be a fan.

It's important to have that optimistic view on your team and life in general. I'm in my mid-40s now and I used to be quite the pessimist myself.

But I have come to realize that having a good attitude and making the conscious choice to be positive is just a lot more fun (and breeds more success) because in the end life really is a journey and not the end goal.

Sure this team continuously disappoints me, I have been around since the 80s. I try not to dwell on our history of losing though.

It's fun watching young kids compete and grow their game, and I don't want to put the pressure of 50+ years of losing on the shoulders of QH and EP. It's not fair to them and it won't help them.

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
yep its possible either we get reallyyy lucky like last year and eventually win a cup (not satisfying) or start fresh management and build the team proper and win!!! lets go team fire benning

Burnaby Schmo

Jan 23, 2021
I am probably in the elder third of posters here (40), and my gut feeling is no.

This franchise seems to see a finals appearance (if there aren't lockouts/extraneous circumstance) once every twelve-15 years, with which 30 teams makes sense.

So we're due for an appearance in 2026 or so (our core should be the right age). However, I feel that the "rule" may not apply unless ownership changes hands. The Canucks are clearly a lark/side project at best for the Aquillinis, and unless this team is given every advantage possible within the next four to five years, they will never be able to make it past some of the western juggernauts.

Maybe in 2040-41, but then I'll be older and who knows what could happen by then!

Reactions: I am toxic

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
I just turned 28 myself yesterday and hope the Canucks win one in my lifetime lol.

They need to clean house - thats what I believe in.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Y'all are babies.

in the next 50 years? I think the Canucks will win 4 cups. I hope to see them all. But likely not.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I wish we had the hockey version of him.

Masai is basically like the anti-Benning. Amazing speaker, charismatic, inspirational, incredibly smart and surrounds himself with the right people. He's technically not the GM anymore, but he's definitely the leader of the franchise. Also doesn't hurt that MLSE stays out of his way when it comes to roster and staff management.
The guy is a smart dude. I would take the basketball version of Masai over what we have now.

Reactions: Nucker101

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
With medical advancements, I don't think it's out of the question that some on this Site could see the drought hit 150 years.

sGn181Y.gif

Reactions: Bonham

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Going to go with 'probably not.' You need to hit a lot of luck and timing to go along with intelligent planning and the Nucks just don't have it.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
1982 - Lucky run
1994 - Just came up short, broke my heart
2011 - Was complete bullshit

I'm 39 and I don't know. I agree with Aquilini at the helm, it will never happen. With a new owner, GM, and coach you never know.

The odds are against Canada in general. Haven't seen the cup in Canada since 93, and I think Bettman is completely fine with that.

If the day happens where the Canucks win the cup, it will be amazing, but the way things are going. Im not counting on it.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Not with Aqua. No one worth a damn will want to work for him, and he will never let a real rebuild happen when needed. Our best bet is if he lucks into someone else that can turn the core into a contending team, and stays the f*** away from making decisions.

I was born 11 days after the Stanley Cup Final in 1994, so hopefully there will be a cup in my lifetime.

One thing to look at is the 2009 to 2012 playoffs.

During those seasons, we had the most consistently dominant squad in team history. Two bona fide #1 goalies, one a furure HHoFer. Another pair of HHoFer's on the first line.

Watch those playoff series. Going up against Chicago, going up against LAK while Quick was in god mode. Did you know Quick put up a .946 in 2012 despite letting in a goal from centre ice? The only other goalie to do that over more than 10 playoff games? Giguere in - you guessed it - 2003.

Getting to the Cup Final is hard.

Getting a win in the Cup Final is even harder.

Getting 3 wins in the Cup Final is exponentially harder.

Getting that 4th win is monumentally harder.

Each decade, another team or two is added to the league. Each decade, it gets incrementally more difficult.

EDM got Gretzky. The best player to ever lace up skates.

They got McDavid.

PIT got Lemieux, quite possibly as good as, maybe even better than Gretzky but for serious, serious health issues. And Jagr.

They got Crosby.

When we got Linden, Dallas got Modano. Yeah we spanked them in 'the second round of 94, but they took home the Cup in '99 when we were trying to forget Keenan existed.

Take a look at those COL and DET teams of the '90's, and then look at our current lineup, and try not to shed a waterfall of tears. We're not at sea level, looking up at Everest so high that we have a crick in our neck - we are at the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

Speaking of the Marianas Trench, Aquilini opened Pandora's box when he hired Benning, and promptly slammed is shut, chained it, threw away the key, and dropped the box in the middle of the ocean, while that last voice trapped inside pleaded "Let me out, let me out" as it sank to the depths.

So yeah, there's hope. We just need the James Cameron of GM's.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I’m mid 30s and I voted no. 50 years with no cup, not a stretch of the imagination that the next 50 will be the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->