GDT: Do You Even GDT Bro? STL at CGY Jan 24/2022

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Very glad I PVR'd this and got a chance to watch an absolute drubbing. Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk was obviously killer in getting points on the board, but at the same time Mangiapane and Coleman seemingly had chances galore (even backlund), Monahan scored, got in position for a couple more dangerous chances, while Dube and Lucic were preforming without finishing, and Adam Ruzicka is showing good responsibility defensively with strong offensive instincts. Loved seeing him get rewarded with shifts away from Ritchie and Lewis. His flexibility as someone who isn't an offensive liability really helps the Flames post PK lines since he slots in nicely for short stins with the top line with how he plays. Just really hope he gets runway because of this. Legit don't have anything bad to say. St. Louis did have a scheduled loss today, but at the same time taking control of a game you should win that effectively is still damn impressive. if Binnington stays in that game hits 10 goals easy

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Mangiapane has been ice cold. Need him and Dube to kick it up a notch. Hopefully getting hot at the right time here.

Reactions: Nanuuk

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Looks like Zadorov has learned to skate, handle the puck, and even defend 1 on 1. I think it was already few games ago when I first noticed that he actually has some skill
He has always have some skills. It’s his brain that needs fixing. Maybe Sutter helped him with that. He certainly gave him enough chances.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Also, that Zadarov shot was other-f***ing-worldly. No wabbling puck in slow mo. That was hard tittays.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Johnny G was ridiculous. Definitely should be in Hart Conversation. We better resign this Mah.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sutter flat-out said that we are being "carried" by Gaudreau and Tkachuk in the post-game presser. Probably at his wits end with our forward depth by now

He's literally been complaining about the forward depth of this club for a year now; and this GM is sitting on his hands.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Well to be fair Ruzicka showed more offensive skill and ability in the last game alone than Richardson, Ritchie, Pitlick and Lewis have all season.. Sutter's insistence on playing those aforementioned names is on him.

Reactions: Pomee and Kahvi

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Well to be fair Ruzicka showed more offensive skill and ability in the last game alone than Richardson, Ritchie, Pitlick and Lewis have all season.. Sutter's insistence on playing those aforementioned names is on him.

Pretty much. Wish people would stop glossing over that fact because there are 2 people who have to be willing to give our prospects a shot...

Reactions: Pomee

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
He's literally been complaining about the forward depth of this club for a year now; and this GM is sitting on his hands.
I wish all I had to do to be the GM of the Flames is to leak to the media that the Flames are making calls on this player or that player, in on this trade or that trade.

Then simply explain to ownership that "the right deal wasn't there".

Yes I know there's a bunch more to it, but it's really easy to feign the appearance of competence by looking busy.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I wish all I had to do to be the GM of the Flames is to leak to the media that the Flames are making calls on this player or that player, in on this trade or that trade.

Yes I know there's a bunch more to it, but it's really easy to feign the appearance of competence by looking busy.
No that's all there is to it.

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
A lot of different ways to look at this Flames team this season, but overall mostly positive and as always I give big credit to our lord and savior Daryl Sutter. Looking around the league and yes GP is skewed as well as the schedule has been interesting with Covid. At half way through the year, some teams like Toronto haven't played a single game vs. teams in their very own division!

Our eye test for the past several years has said that we still (after a 7 goal outburst) lack secondary scoring. Our GF also confirms this in comparison to other top teams (which I think we are, despite GF). While were bashing the Flames for GF, Sportsnet tells us everyday how vaunted and powerful those Oiler stars are at that scoring game, but they have 2 more GF than we do....GA we are incredible and that also passes our eye test. When were on our game, we can shutout or hold even really good teams to 1-2 goals.

Here's the conundrum. Sutter and Tre obviously would both like more scoring from this roster or added to this roster. If this were a Geoff Ward coached team (god forbid) they probably make a trade easier than having Sutter on the bench (but this is a necessary evil). Sutter in my opinion, was likely in charge of moves this past off-season with regards to Pitlick, Lewis, Richardson, Gudbranson etc. To me, this is like a parent going to a grocery store and getting the "needed staples" to keep a family fed for the next little while, before later heading to the specialty butcher, fisherman's wharf etc. for those good things the family enjoys eating. Sutter needs said staples that can play his defensive style. It's irrelevant to him that 'Farm Hand A' can skate faster, score a few more goals because the cost of that player overall is a breakdown in defensive play that will lead to more goals against, far more than he could ever offset offensively.

So, the problem. Unless you can move Monahan for the healthier better mirror image of himself (Centre who can score 25+) Or get someone to take Backlund off this roster, I think Ruzicka could honestly be an 80% version of his shutdown defensive talents with more offensive upside and youth, then your stuck with strictly moving draft picks to likely rent more Blake Coleman types (hoping they can score 20) but that do keep you in the Daryl Sutter defensive mode needed. The way this team plays, they are not the team that could go and bring in a Patrick Laine or a Tarasenko, unless they were going to move out defensive liabilities like (Gaudreau, Looch, etc.) and those moves wouldn't improve the team much if at all, anyway.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

You would be shocked how many people go through life doing this.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No. I wouldn't.

I work with some, tbqh.

in 2017 I was working with a company that had 5 sales guys in their group. Of those 5 guys, 3 were essentially doing nothing with their time, but were filling in SalesForce events like crazy. At weekly or monthly meetings they’d literally spend 20 minutes talking about nothing that was actually happening in real life.

One guy was caught in BC wine country while he was saying he was in the Mid West because he got careless with his company phone.

One guy got caught going to Sask with his family by the sales manager who called him on a Monday and said ‘hey, I’ll join you on this trip.’ Trip was a disaster, only three visits, with nothing happening.

The last guy quit when the first two got fired; he had been going to California on ‘work’ but actually had a mistress down there and wasn’t actually doing anything.

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
in 2017 I was working with a company that had 5 sales guys in their group. Of those 5 guys, 3 were essentially doing nothing with their time, but were filling in SalesForce events like crazy. At weekly or monthly meetings they’d literally spend 20 minutes talking about nothing that was actually happening in real life.

One guy was caught in BC wine country while he was saying he was in the Mid West because he got careless with his company phone.

One guy got caught going to Sask with his family by the sales manager who called him on a Monday and said ‘hey, I’ll join you on this trip.’ Trip was a disaster, only three visits, with nothing happening.

The last guy quit when the first two got fired; he had been going to California on ‘work’ but actually had a mistress down there and wasn’t actually doing anything.

Hehe, and this is a Flames forum in which many of the managers outside of direct hockey operations came from a newspaper, that migrated there from a smaller newspaper, in which many came from smaller towns in the prairies as a first real 'executive' position. Willowpark Golf Course has stories to tell.

Middle Management, Executive Sales, Assistant to the ..... are rife with the old boys club culture. But, at the end of the day, nothing is gained by explaining to the 'wallet' (the owner(s)) that the work done by 30 of us, could be done by 3. Especially when most big organizations are structured exactly the same way.

Reactions: Volica

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Oof. Guy couldn’t even get that one right :laugh:.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad