Do You Consider Ovechkin Generational?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Don’t see how you can be one, arguably THE best goal scorer ever and not be generational. I don’t care about the whole “hes not a generational player, he’s a generational GOAL SCORER.” Such nonesense. He’s a generational player, last time I checked scoring goals is part of being a player and he’s been the best at that this era, among being up there all time.
it's because he "doesn't play a full 200-foot game" or that he is "only good at scoring goals"

those same people consider a "player" to do more than just that, which is nonsense

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Your post is pretty unnecessary, because it does nothing to change the fact that Ovechkin is not generational. A one-dimensional player known strictly for his offense and he only has 1 Art Ross. ONE ART ROSS.

I'm to believe that the guy who's entire argument rests on his goal-scoring capabilities, yet only has 1 Art Ross, is somehow generational?

Completely laughable.
so crosby is generational because he has ONE MORE ART ROSS?

freakin comedy

Reactions: GreatGonzo

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Crosby won’t be number 1 but he will potentially be top 5 in assists per game and points per game. On top of everything he has won.

That all on top of no one has a clue what will happen with both of these guys. How will they decline? Or on the flip side, how many more points will they get?

Crosby has a solid chance to move up the leaderboards a bunch in the coming years. It would take a monumental injury for Crosby to not eventually eclipse 1,000 career assists which would be top 10 all time.

If he closes out near the top and is top 5 in assists and points per game, his legacy is cemented in stone.

Only Lemieux, Gretzky and Orr are top 5 in both categories.

Don’t worry, he won’t. He’s fifth currently and there’s nowhere to go but down for him. Way more likely he slips out of the top 10 in PPG than staying at #5 for the rest of his career. Might stay in top 10 for APG.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
i do not understand why people still have this notion that Ovechkin is 1-dimensional. it's the same nonsense people use against Steph Curry in that "all he does is shoot", completely disregarding the fact that both players do multiple things well, it's just that there is 1 aspect that they do better than anyone currently playing and possibly all-time.

OV can score, can pass, can hit, can play defence (not an amazing defender, but has improved greatly since Trotz), can make plays for others, can skate. I mean does this look like a one-dimensional player to you?

you people are the worst

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The only players with more Hart's than Ovechkin are:

• Gretzky
  • Howe
  • Shore

He's tied with:

• Lemieux
  • Morenz
  • Clarke
  • Orr

And he has more than:

• Crosby
  • Mikita
  • Beliveau
  • Lafleaur
  • Messier
  • Hasek
  • Both Hull's

Barring a major set back he will likely win his 8th Richard trophy... since they started awarding it in '98-'99 the next closet person has.... 2 wins.

That means if Ovechkin wins this season he will have won 42% of the Richards the league has offered over the last 19 seasons played... he's only been active in 13 of those seasons meaning he has won 62% of the scoring titles he has been eligible for.

He currently has 649 career goals leaving him only 245 goals away from the all time goal record... he's only 33 years old... if he plays until he is 40 and averages 35 goals a season he will be the greatest goal scorer of any generation.

If you don't think he's once in a lifetime player you simply do not understand hockey.

Last edited:

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Don’t worry, he won’t. He’s fifth currently and there’s nowhere to go but down for him. Way more likely he slips out of the top 10 in PPG than staying at #5 for the rest of his career. Might stay in top 10 for APG.

Like I said, even if he manages to stay in the top 10, only a couple other guys can say the same about being in the top 10 in both. And all of them are considered among the greatest in the games history.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Will there ever be a movement to end the arbitrary nonsense of sports termonology? Theres better even sillier debates to have.

It seems rather if you think the term needs to be some pure single person in an era title and think Crosby deserves it you would say no. Most other readings of it would lean yes, so I dont know why random word choices are focused so much on.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Like I said, even if he manages to stay in the top 10, only a couple other guys can say the same about being in the top 10 in both. And all of them are considered among the greatest in the games history.

We’re going to see this a lot over the coming seasons between the two. Even Ovechkin could finish in a very worthy position assist wise.

He has 229 assists in his last 587 games so if he plays say another 450 games, he could finish with about 718 at his pace for the last 8 seasons (I think it’s fair to give him that projection since his apg are much higher over the past 3 seasons than the 5 before that). He would be 50th all time! A supposed one dimensional winger!

They’re two of the best players of all time. Their totals will reflect that, even though though they could both never play another game starting tomorrow and retire first ballot with ease.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I don't think messier is rated that high by most even tho he was third in points / the cups tbh. But sure him and Crosby can probably be on people's top ten forward lists .

The top four greatest players is pretty much untouchable with gretz Mario Howe and orr . After that it tends to vary

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Needs to pass Crosby first.
well i was speaking about the highest he could possibly end up, and if he reaches that, then that means he passed crosby

but crosby could possibly hit #5 as well and has a better chance than OV since he is already ahead of him, so we'll have to see

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
but crosby could possibly hit #5 as well and has a better chance than OV since he is already ahead of him, so we'll have to see

Man I really don't want this topic to devolve into a you know what debate BUT, how exactly is Crosby clearly ahead with 2 Harts and 2 Art Rosses while being known as a better scorer? I don't think Crosby is getting anywhere near #5 or #6. How the hell is he going to pass Jagr or Messier for example?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Man I really don't want this topic to devolve into a you know what debate BUT, how exactly is Crosby clearly ahead with 2 Harts and 2 Art Rosses while being known as a better scorer? I don't think Crosby is getting anywhere near #5 or #6. How the hell is he going to pass Jagr or Messier for example?

He already has passed them. Whatever you think Jagr has on Crosby, Crosby has on Messier. Whatever you think Messier has on Crosby, Crosby has on Jagr.

Reactions: george14

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
me neither (unfortunately this type of thread with this player in the title will ALWAYS start this debate), but as an overall player, he is greater than OV and most GM's would pick him over OV

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Needs to pass Crosby first.

33uewz6.jpg

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
He already has passed them. Whatever you think Jagr has on Crosby, Crosby has on Messier. Whatever you think Messier has on Crosby, Crosby has on Jagr.

Confused_Christian_Bale.0.gif

Messier has 6 Cups and retired 2nd in points.
Jagr has 5 Art Rosses and retired 2nd in points.

Crosby won't be passing any of those 3 marks.

Reactions: Voight

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
I guess I'm out of the loop in the Crosby-Ovechkin debate. I don't think Sidney playing on stacked Team Canada at some international tournaments elevates him in the plateau of leading the league in a category 8+ times.

Bobby Hull was the only other guy to lead 7 times and Ovechkin will likely break that tie this season.

Crosby has lead the league in points twice. What are people even talking about? Cam Neely was a pretty great player with shortened seasons too. But 0 cups right? Ridiculous.

If Crosby is sitting here with 1 ring I don't think anybody is even thinking of him above Ovechkin.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Pretty arbitrary label but if anyone of this generation has earned this label, OV has. He's the best goal scorer in a long, long time by a lot.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Your post is pretty unnecessary, because it does nothing to change the fact that Ovechkin is not generational. A one-dimensional player known strictly for his offense and he only has 1 Art Ross. ONE ART ROSS.

I'm to believe that the guy who's entire argument rests on his goal-scoring capabilities, yet only has 1 Art Ross, is somehow generational?

Completely laughable.
If Ovechkin isn’t generational than neither is Crosby.

By the way, Malkin has as many Art Rosses as Crosby. Guess that makes him equal to Crosby as this generations top talent.
it's because he "doesn't play a full 200-foot game" or that he is "only good at scoring goals"

those same people consider a "player" to do more than just that, which is nonsense
Crosbys defensive game has never been and never will be up to a “generational” standard anyway. The guy can play defense good or decent and people will praise him regardless.

What’s more funny is Ovechkin is better at scoring goals than Crosby is at everything else. What does that tell us?

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI

Are you saying Crosby is not clearly ahead of Ovi as a player? If so, why?

I think Crosby is #5 already. Look at all of the individual awards, team awards, and stats. He is 6th all time in points per game and look at the era he plays in.

Ovechkin will eventually crack the top 15 I think. It's hard to say since he's a winger.

Messier has 6 Cups and retired 2nd in points.
Jagr has 5 Art Rosses and retired 2nd in points.

Crosby won't be passing any of those 3 marks.

Why are you isolating those? How many Cups does Jagr have? How many Art Ross's does Messier have? You are cherry picking stats.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Bobby Hull is usually the top candidate at #5 all time. Not sure what exactly separates him and OV honestly. Hull had more dominant rocket wins, had more top 10 pt finishes and more high end hart finishes. However OV, barring a major collapse, should have more rockets in a league with a much bigger talent pool. He has the best playoff run between them and he should win longevity too (yes Hull left the NHL but that's his fault, not OV's). Their overall peak is basically a wash. Best case scenario OV surpasses Hull, which would make him the #1 LW, #2 W (behind Howe) and #5 overall. At the very least he's the #2 LW, #3-4 W (with Jagr) and anywhere in the top 20 overall depending on what people value more.

Reactions: Hippasus and Voight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce