Do You Consider Ovechkin Generational?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
But if you can only name one, then Sidney Crosby is simply just a better overall hockey player than him.

Flame away. But I believe more than one can be generational which is why I’d put him with Crosby.

Name something Crosby has done individually that Ovechkin hasn't done? Other than leading the league in assists that one time there isn't anything.

You say he is simply a better overall player but there is nothing to back it up except what you see on the ice. Ok, what I see is Ovechkin can run you over to score a goal, or a shoot a puck through you if needed. He could beat any player with his speed for ten years and is still pretty damn fast. Pretty damn good overall skill if you ask me.

So what now?

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Name something Crosby has done individually that Ovechkin hasn't done? Other than leading the league in assists that one time there isn't anything.

You say he is simply a better overall player but there is nothing to back it up except what you see on the ice. Ok, what I see is Ovechkin can run you over to score a goal, or a shoot a puck through you if needed. He could beat any player with his speed for ten years and is still pretty damn fast. Pretty damn good overall skill if you ask me.

So what now?

There’s more to hockey than scoring. Other than goals and hitting, Crosby is much better at every other facet of the game. Plays a more demanding position and produces much better when on the ice.

Has just as many career points with much less career games.

Everything that has already been stated by others and why almost every media outlet you see rank Crosby above Ovechkin.

And as much as people won’t say it because it means very little but Crosby has won everything there is to win. Led his team to 4 Stanley Cup finals and won 3 of them.

I also never said Ovechkin wasn’t good. So I’m not sure why you added that tidbit at the end. He’s top 2 of this generation. That’s nothing to be ashamed of.

Last edited:

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Ovechkin's goal scoring ability has been sustained over the years -- without much of a dip in production save for the coaching changes he adapted to. He is absolutely generational and the day he retires, is the day all of you change your tune wishing you got to see more of him in his prime.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Does Ovechkin qualify as "generational" a word that wasn't used until relatively recently to describe athletes and has no standard definition so can be debated endlessly?

Sure.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
There’s more to hockey than scoring. Other than goals and hitting, Crosby is much better at every other facet of the game. Plays a more demanding position and produces much better when on the ice.

Has just as many career points with much less career games.

Everything that has already been stated by others and why almost every media outlet you see rank Crosby above Ovechkin.

And as much as people won’t say it because it means very little but Crosby has won everything there is to win. Led his team to 4 Stanley Cup finals and won 3 of them.

Gretzky wasn’t a very good overall player, Messier and MacTavish had to take the defensive zone draws, nobody cares that the Great One was poor defensively as his sheer offensive output was ridiculous. Same can be said for Ovechkin, Crosby is a better all around player, but Ovechkin continuously lights the lamp and was a jauggernaut offensively.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Gretzky wasn’t a very good overall player, Messier and MacTavish had to take the defensive zone draws, nobody cares that the Great One was poor defensively as his sheer offensive output was ridiculous. Same can be said for Ovechkin, Crosby is a better all around player, but Ovechkin continuously lights the lamp and was a jauggernaut offensively.

Gretzky is also 700 career assists above second place on the all time list.

Gretzky was a true offensive jauggernaut. Not just at scoring goals. Ovechkin is currently 123rd all time in assists. That’s not a slam on Ovechkin. But his game is scoring goals. It isn’t a complete offensive game. I won’t touch on the defensive side of the game.

They only player that has ever come close to touching Gretzky as a complete offensive player was Lemeuix.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I don't feel right calling him generational. I feel like that should be held for more elite players. Players that rarely come around.. like Gretzky, Lemieux.

I feel better calling him the 2nd tier. With the likes Fedorov, Peter Forsberg, Joe Sakic and etc.

pezpunk

May 3, 2013
Ovechkin is the best goal scorer of the generation. I don't consider the best "goalscorer" of a generation as generational. IMO it drastically dilutes the term when you put pin point a particular skill. Obviously I'm exaggerating here but could you, in theory, have a generational grinder or fighter? Generational passer or right winger?

:facepalm:

right, because scoring goals and "grinding" are of the same value in hockey. look ... don't pretend scoring goals is just some niche utility skill in hockey. it's practically the whole freaking point.

truly, it's a wonder to behold, the grotesque knots of logic people are willing to weave their arguments into, in order to find some cockeyed angle from which they can deem Ovechkin unworthy in some way.

he's the greatest goal scorer in the history of hockey. just enjoy that you get to watch his career happen in real time.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Gretzky is also 700 career assists above second place on the all time list.

Gretzky was a true offensive jauggernaut. Not just at scoring goals. Ovechkin is currently 123rd all time in assists. That’s not a slam on Ovechkin. But his game is scoring goals. It isn’t a complete offensive game. I won’t touch on the defensive side of the game.

They only player that has ever come close to touching Gretzky as a complete offensive player was Lemeuix.

Fair point, Gretzky was in another world offensively that no one cared about his defensive deficiencies. If someone was close to his offensive output they could use that argument against him, but no one really is.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I don't feel right calling him generational. I feel like that should be held for more elite players. Players that rarely come around.. like Gretzky, Lemieux.

I feel better calling him the 2nd tier. With the likes Fedorov, Peter Forsberg, Joe Sakic and etc.
Ovechkin is a top 10 all time player and even if you don't consider him that now, when he's done he undeniably will be. If you're in that list you're a generational player, full stop.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
The label "generational player" is misused very often on here. One reason for this may be HF members attributing different definitions and criteria to the label "generational player". In my opinion the label "generational player" should be attributed to hockey players that have impacted or changed the game over a generation by excelling at several (or at a certain challenging) aspect(s) of the game, in consideration of: stats put up, awards received, playing style, overall talent, personality, etc.

Ovechkin most certainly is a generational player as he will most probably retire as the greatest goal scorer of modern hockey, if not all time.

NyIander

Feb 18, 2019
No debate to be had here. He absolutely is and anyone who thinks he isn't should reconsider watching hockey.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Ovechkin is a top 10 all time player and even if you don't consider him that now, when he's done he undeniably will be. If you're in that list you're a generational player, full stop.

I feel like top 10 isn't good enough to be considered generational. If he's top2 or 3 maybe. Generational should be nearly impossible to achieve, which is why it is called generational.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He’s top 2 of this generation. That’s nothing to be ashamed of.

Joe DiMaggio or Ted Williams. Magic Johnson or Larry Bird. People have their opinions based on their priorities. Where Ovechkin and Crosby are concerned the jury is still out.

Its as simple as this. After all these years their career points totals are almost identical. Crosby leads in points per game and Ovechkin leads in games per season. The result is that they get to the same spot.

If you think Ovechkin is 2nd, fine. Its an opinion where there is a fair case going the other way. The thread title is the ridiculous part. How can you have a potential greatest of all time who at the same time isn't generational

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I feel like top 10 isn't good enough to be considered generational. If he's top2 or 3 maybe. Generational should be nearly impossible to achieve, which is why it is called generational.

Well...its called generational because each generation has its elite players. It could be said that each generation has its best player, but then only one of Gretzky and Lemeiux could be generational.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Joe DiMaggio or Ted Williams. Magic Johnson or Larry Bird. People have their opinions based on their priorities. Where Ovechkin and Crosby are concerned the jury is still out.

Its as simple as this. After all these years their career points totals are almost identical. Crosby leads in points per game and Ovechkin leads in games per season. The result is that they get to the same spot.

If you think Ovechkin is 2nd, fine. Its an opinion where there is a fair case going the other way. The thread title is the ridiculous part. How can you have a potential greatest of all time who at the same time isn't generational

Steve Yzerman started his career the same time as Mario, and has a few more career points. So are they equal?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Steve Yzerman started his career the same time as Mario, and has a few more career points. So are they equal?

I can make my argument for that. Sure. The idea that Ovechkin is penalized for being more durable and being available for service more often is silly. I am not sure the stats right now, but if Mario was better in points per game than Gretzky, are you saying Mario is the greater player?

If I had a choice between Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays, I take Mays even though per game Mantle was more productive in his prime.

Edit: If Ovechkin breaks the all time goal scoring record in more game then Gretzky, is he not the all time goal scorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad