Do you consider Carolina a hated rival?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I feel like I hate Carolina less now than I did only about a handful of years ago.

It was really fun to hate them when I could make fun of them for Bernie Lomax'ing Cam Ward out there every night and keeping him around like he's some kind of shrine.

It wasn't as easy to hate them anymore after E. Staal and Ward were gone.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Waddell feels more like a figurehead in Carolina. And I know people will say ''EVERY GM IS A FIGUREHEAD!'' but it feels a little more like that with Waddell, maybe more than most GM's.

I do think Ron Francis deserves some credit. They turned the corner the first year after he was gone. They probably should have a year or two earlier, but the goalie situation was really horrible there, with Scott Darling and a very washed up Cam Ward, who it felt like they were never going to let leave.

I think Canes fans had mixed reactions of the Francis firing. I know some have pointed to the contract he gave Darling as being a big reason he got canned. Others have said that Dundon wanted all the control and just wanted a puppet GM.

Enter: Don Waddell.

I don’t think Waddell is a figurehead, he’s also President. It’s not like there isn’t plenty to do.

They’re called the Borg for a reason, both AGMs are pretty exceptional. They’re also both tempting targets for other teams’ GM jobs, so eventually they might have to kick one upstairs or lose them. (No team has ever had co-GMs so they probably have to choose lol.)

Waddell is the General Manager/ President
“As general manager, Waddell facilitates all of the team’s hockey decisions and as president he oversees the business sides of the Carolina Hurricanes and PNC Arena.” The President part is a real job too.

AGM Eric Tulsky “is involved in all player personnel decisions, oversees pro scouting and the team’s hockey information department, and assists with player contract negotiations, salary cap compliance, and other hockey-related matters. Tulsky previously served as vice president of hockey management and strategy.”

AGM Darren Yorke “is involved in all player personnel decisions, oversees amateur scouting and player development, and is responsible for the team’s draft”. Yorke previously served as the team’s director of player personnel.”
Tulsky reportedly blew away the Pens with his interviews. That’s not surprising, he’s a brilliant guy, but he’s also reportedly not someone dying to run a team by himself. (Maybe that has or will change in the future.)

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don’t think Waddell is a figurehead, he’s also President. It’s not like there isn’t plenty to do.

They’re called the Borg for a reason, both AGMs are pretty exceptional. They’re also both tempting targets for other teams’ GM jobs, so eventually they might have to kick one upstairs or lose them. (No team has ever had co-GMs so they probably have to choose lol.)

Waddell is the General Manager/ President
“As general manager, Waddell facilitates all of the team’s hockey decisions and as president he oversees the business sides of the Carolina Hurricanes and PNC Arena.” The President part is a real job too.

AGM Eric Tulsky “is involved in all player personnel decisions, oversees pro scouting and the team’s hockey information department, and assists with player contract negotiations, salary cap compliance, and other hockey-related matters. Tulsky previously served as vice president of hockey management and strategy.”

AGM Darren Yorke “is involved in all player personnel decisions, oversees amateur scouting and player development, and is responsible for the team’s draft”. Yorke previously served as the team’s director of player personnel.”
Tulsky reportedly blew away the Pens with his interviews. That’s not surprising, he’s a brilliant guy, but he’s also reportedly not someone dying to run a team by himself. (Maybe that has or will change in the future.)
I just vaguely remember Dundon was wanting to be very hands on at the time he fired Francis and replaced him with Waddell. It's also possible that I read this way back when he first bought the team, which was I think a couple of years before Waddell becoming GM.

Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, it's been a while.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I just vaguely remember Dundon was wanting to be very hands on at the time he fired Francis and replaced him with Waddell. It's also possible that I read this way back when he first bought the team, which was I think a couple of years before Waddell becoming GM.

Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, it's been a while.

Dundon is definitely hands on and likely part of the major decision making in some way. He has other businesses though and I have no idea how it works. I really doubt Dundon is there every doing the boring parts lol.

We’re used to Lou but owners who treat a GM like a genius who gets to call all the shots by himself on an island isn’t exactly the norm. Carolina is particularly weird though.

Most team’s have a separate President, or at least Executive VPs.

Their listed Executive Management:
Tom Dundon, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER/OWNER/GOVERNOR
Don Waddell, PRESIDENT/GENERAL MANAGER/ALTERNATE GOVERNOR
Mike Forman, CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER
Tom Embrey, VICE PRESIDENT/GENERAL MANAGER, PNC ARENA
Shaun Nicholson, CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
Nigel Wheeler, GENERAL COUNSEL
Their listed Hockey Management:
Eric Tulsky, ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER
Darren Yorke, ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER

And that’s it, no other executives of note.

Director of Hockey Operations is listed after the AGMs, that’s office manager (basically).

It’s not peak poverty Wang-era NYI bare bones, nothing other than peak poverty Wang-era NYI is, but it’s very bare bones.

People have pointed out how thin their executive staff is, but Waddell says it’s fine. He’s personally overseeing what’s normally overseen by a multiple executives though.

Because Dundon is infamous about being cheap with hirings. That’s why I’m curious if he will spend to keep his AGMs. I actually think he might but maybe he thinks they’re replaceable. IDK.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Not really

The fans on the other hand are annoying and arrogant even tho they really have nothing to show for it

Reactions: Lou is God

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
f*** all Staals, Jordan can eat shit.
Aho is a bitchy punk who is the most meh first line player around.
But Svech will be a grand goal scorer one day, one day I swear. Pffft, keep waiting.
Arguably the ugliest unis in the league.
Are they rivals? They‘re the gunky residue left behind when you try to take a sticker off of something and the more you rub it, the more it gets gross and annoying.
But I don’t think about them at all.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Weirdly they don’t own the PNC Arena. It’s owned by NC State University and the land is part of the university too. Interesting. It’s also a little far from downtown and there’s no public transit down here. I think Canes wanted a downtown arena but they’re settling for a rehab and ability to develop the area around the arena. City likes it because it can expand the downtown footprint westward, just like the soccer stadium would have expanded it southward (before idiot Don Garber was transfixed by NFL ownership in the MLS and shifted to Charlotte - a Raleigh MLS team can still work)

Reactions: My3Sons

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
1693803664957.jpeg

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
They've never been good enough to really consider them a rival. Made the playoffs twice in a 15 year stretch that started with the Devils' last cup win.
This past 5 year stretch has been the most successful they've ever been and the Devils were garbage for 4/5 of those years.

Kinda like the Islanders. The teams should be rivals but they've never been good at the same time to really get anything started.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
I know we became hated to long time Canes fans back in 2001 When Scott Stevens laid out Ron Francis and that other guy. Shane Willis? Something like that. I hate some teams and not their fans and as for the Rags and Philthlandia I have a dislike for the entire organization. Unfortunately Philthlandia has an actual plan and direction now. At least they'll suck for a few more years and aren't getting Sidney Crosby lucky anytime soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad