Do you consider Carolina a hated rival?

RyGuy

Mar 24, 2013
Medford, NJ
Maybe for a little bit after the 2009 playoff implosion. Theyve never really been a team I consider a "rival", but that will probably change soon as both teams will be fighting tooth and nail for top of the Metro for years to come.

Reactions: Dialamo

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
My first instinct was yes but when i think about it, i can’t call them a hated a rival. Even as a Connecticutian, the Whalers history doesn’t mean much to me since nobody liked the Whalers when i was growing up and they were never good.

I would definitely say “rival,” but they’ve spent most of their existence in a different division and they have quite a few players i really like. Plus the Tulsky story is interesting and i don’t think they have a particularly annoying fanbase. It’ll be a long time before they’re on a similar level in my head with the Flyers, Penguins, and Islanders. Obviously the Rangers are a tier of their own.

Reactions: My3Sons

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
We had some doozies of playoff series against them. The late 3rd period collapse in game 7 sticks out... we were ahead, then tied, then behind all in the last what, 3 minutes? They tend to have our number in the playoffs though.

Down here there used to be all Devils jerseys when NJ came to town (and same for NYR and NYI games), but that's changed quite a bit. Yes, their fans can be boorish and annoying but they're learning and passionate and that can only be celebrated.

So, no, not a major rivaly but one is building and that's good.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
We had some doozies of playoff series against them. The late 3rd period collapse in game 7 sticks out... we were ahead, then tied, then behind all in the last what, 3 minutes? They tend to have our number in the playoffs though.

Down here there used to be all Devils jerseys when NJ came to town (and same for NYR and NYI games), but that's changed quite a bit. Yes, their fans can be boorish and annoying but they're learning and passionate and that can only be celebrated.

So, no, not a major rivaly but one is building and that's good.
NR101_Devils_Sutter_-123233_20090609135907.jpg

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think I have to at this point, yeah. It's been 20 years since the Devils lost a playoff series to the Flyers and 15 since they lost one to the Rangers. In that span they've lost 3 times to Carolina, plus another additional time.

Plus while I might be wrong about this, it feels like the Hurricanes and Devils will be battling it out for Metropolitan supremacy for the next 5 years.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It’s been hard to consider anyone rival since the Devils have been so bad for so long.

I do think the Devils and Carolina will keep running into each other so this current era matchup will grow into a rivalry.

Reactions: My3Sons

DevilsHughes86

Dance with the Devil
Mar 6, 2007
Laval
I wouldn't say a rival but they're definitely a team I dislike and find the fans annoying as hell. It can change real soon though if we end up seeing each other again in the playoffs which I think is a very high possibility in the near future..

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
My first instinct was yes but when i think about it, i can’t call them a hated a rival. Even as a Connecticutian, the Whalers history doesn’t mean much to me since nobody liked the Whalers when i was growing up and they were never good.

I would definitely say “rival,” but they’ve spent most of their existence in a different division and they have quite a few players i really like. Plus the Tulsky story is interesting and i don’t think they have a particularly annoying fanbase. It’ll be a long time before they’re on a similar level in my head with the Flyers, Penguins, and Islanders. Obviously the Rangers are a tier of their own.

Yes, they were trash, but they were ours. It took me a long time to get over the Whalers leaving.

Add in the 2009 collapse and this past season, and they're definitely in the top 3 most disliked teams for me.

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
The rivalry was renewed last year in the chase for division champs and then them neutering us in the playoffs. I really don’t like them.

Rags
Canes
Philly
Isles
Pens

Is how I see our rival list. If Philly becomes good again they jump to 2.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
The rivalry was renewed last year in the chase for division champs and then them neutering us in the playoffs. I really don’t like them.

Rags
Canes
Philly
Isles
Pens

Is how I see our rival list. If Philly becomes good again they jump to 2.
Yeah Carolina games I have circled. It's not about geography or fans. Just about competition. Fans aren't the level of assholes like they are up here. Canes fans are much kinder.

Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I used to hate them given the playoff loses and term "Caniacs" (shudder)...but now I have family in the Carolinas that are big fans, so they've grown on me and the hatred has mostly gone away. Would love to get down there for a game one day.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I've said this before, but as far as I know, we don't really consider them rivals, while they consider us one of their biggest rivalries (or at least they used to). It creates a bit of a mismatch on the emotional/intensity level.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
They’re a rival but, it’s kind of like the Spurs when they were winning NBA championships. Like, who cares…

I have a slight bit of skepticism about how long they’ll be good in the Aho/Slavin era. I think it’s a bit of ships passing in the night as far as the kids they’ve drafted and those guys, like Ottawa in the early 10s. But they’ve done well enough that they’re almost certain to get some Bratt-esque surprises in the system.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I have a hate for them but not as much as I do for some other teams. Rangers and Pens are #1 and 2 . Canes are up there though . Just not sure exact number. The past playoff loses is what does it for me.

Having a hated rivalry is good though. It will feel that much better when we beat them in the playoffs.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
they're a rival for sure. I come to only hate the team during the playoffs. During the regular season they are more/less another team.

Rangers/Flyers.... i hate them every single game. I root for abscesseed teeth during the preseason for those fools.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I think I have to at this point, yeah. It's been 20 years since the Devils lost a playoff series to the Flyers and 15 since they lost one to the Rangers. In that span they've lost 3 times to Carolina, plus another additional time.

Plus while I might be wrong about this, it feels like the Hurricanes and Devils will be battling it out for Metropolitan supremacy for the next 5 years.
May be even more. There are only CBJ with the roster and prospect pool who have potential to compete for top of the division. Flyers have one extra prospect and one very good prospect, a couple of good prospects, but for now thats all and we cant make any real adequate conclusion how they will be looking after five years.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm so glad the inferior Sutter brother (and by inferior, I mean out of all his brothers that coached, not just the most successful one in Darryl) f***ed off to Calgary and never got another head coaching gig after that.

I'm half surprised he never got another head coaching gig, especially since BAD coaches are hired every offseason to head coach in the NHL, but I wonder if him bailing on the Devils to go work for Calgary because he ''Wanted to go home'' rubbed people the wrong way. It pissed JVB off, who was vocal about it, but it made me happy. He was worthless. If we didn't have the worst head coach in the history of hockey at one point (who he gave his vote of confidence to on the way out to Calgary) in our franchise history, Sutter may have been the worst head coach we ever had.

That said, we did hire one pretty big name (albeit one who had a big name because of an international tournament with college aged kids) that we had for a year before Lou said ''Yeah, that's enough of that'' after one year (a playoff year, no less) to hire Lemaire. He was pretty awful and I think that was the last time he worked in the NHL, other than an interim stint with the Pens about 7 or 8 years later.

I remember when there were rumors that Brent would be the successor to Lou as GM. Remember, his brother Darryl had transitioned to being a GM and was the Calgary GM at the time, although that didn't last very long. It's funny, the rumor of Brent leaving at the end of the 08-09 season came out around February or so of that year and when asked, he said something like ''I evaluate my situation every season at the end of the year and that's what I'll be doing again at the end of this year'' which didn't exactly say he wasn't going to do what the rumor suggested he was going to do. If that wasn't a sign right there that the rumors were true.

With what we know now, not sure Brent would have ever become the GM here, unless he was somehow still the head coach here in 2015 and Harris and Blitzer purged Lou and promoted him. With what we know now and 14 years after Sutter left, Lou is almost 81 years old and still an active GM in the NHL. If Lou was able to go out on his own terms would he have retired from being a GM by now? Perhaps, but he surely wasn't okay with doing that as of 2015.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00