Do You Believe We should Go All In Over the Next 2 Years?

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
If the leafs are trading a 1st or top prospect I want them to get a return with a player with term. Tell the team wins a playoff round I don’t want to go all in yet.

I’m still at the i’ll believe it when I see it. Last year this time things were looking good as well. This isn’t meant to be a negative post as I’m happy the way the team is playing but I need to see results in the playoffs before committing to going all in with the team.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think they need to at least make the call, If the price is higher then it would be for let's say Patrick Kane then of course you don't make the deal because if Patrick Kane can be had for less than it would cost to get Boone Jenner then go get Patrick Kane because Patrick Kane is a game breaker.

But regardless of that I still think they should make the call if they haven't already
What are their needs? A top C. Unless you provide that, why on earth would they send their current top C. You have to pay attention to another teams needs. Sure, we’d get more than Jenner back from trading them a top C, but it doesn’t make sense for us does it?

Reactions: kb

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What are their needs? A top C. Unless you provide that, why on earth would they send their current top C. You have to pay attention to another teams needs. Sure, we’d get more than Jenner back from trading them a top C, but it doesn’t make sense for us does it?

So you believe that that they would ask for Matthews or Tavares, you said top Center so that has to be what you believe.

They wouldn't ask for that, not a chance because they know they never get it but they would get a BIG price

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Hell no.

No 1st rd pick in the last 3/4 years, with that one 1st rounder suffering a freak medical tragedy. Went all-in for the Canadian division, backfired heavily. No 1st for two straight years now.

If your logic is to go "all-in" in order to convince Matthews to re-sign, there's holes in your argument. Whatever big pieces you acquire will have to expire before Matthews' next extension, unless you're doing other massive cap restructuring. So come extension day for Matthews, he'll have maybe won a round or two, but all those pieces you nuked your assets to acquire are now walking to fit his new cap hit. Why would that excite him moving forward?

We're in the last year of the GM's contract, going on year 7 of 1st rd exits with a core that has not shown they can be clutch winners, and a stagnant cap only a couple years from re-signing the core - it's an evaluation year. Personally, I wouldn't bolster the group at all (aside from maybe 1 move), but instead rely on internal pieces and see what this group is made of.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So you believe that that they would ask for Matthews or Tavares, you said top Center so that has to be what you believe.

They wouldn't ask for that, not a chance because they know they never get it but they would get a BIG price

Oh... so now you understand why this would never happen then? And yes, if someone asked for their top C, on a team short of C's, they would ask for a C... otherwise, they just couldn't do the trade. Is this hard to understand?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Oh... so now you understand why this would never happen then? And yes, if someone asked for their top C, on a team short of C's, they would ask for a C... otherwise, they just couldn't do the trade. Is this hard to understand?

They would not for Matthews or Tavares there isn't a chance in hell

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022
I believe we should go all in, but on the right players. I would trade this year and next year 1st + assets. On acquiring players like Ryan O'Reilly, Kane, Meier, and maybe Bertuzzi. All of the player listed but Meier should be easy to sign an contract extension.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Leafs fans seem to be projecting something from the Kawhi Leonard experience, asking the question of whether we can build an attractive enough program to entice the hired gun to stay.

I don't know what Matthews thoughts are ultimately, but the Leafs go as he goes. This is his team, win or lose.
Exactly and why the "I'll leave if you don't get me the players we need to win," is so ridiculous. The irony of course is "I won't take a discount but you should convince those players we may need that "playing with Auston is such an honour and privilege that you should take a haircut on YOUR contract because obviously Auston has to take care of his needs!"

Just kidding sort of, but it's kind of how I view today's athletes, yeah they're better than ever athletically, but so bloody selfish as to make most of them truly unlikeable.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don’t know, sports are weird. Trevor Moore wasn’t a top 6 forward with the leafs, he struggled to make the line up. Now he’s a top 6 forward with the Kings and getting paid $4.3 mill starting next season.

Sometimes you need a change of scenery or system to flourish.
I don't think Trevor Moore was traded because he wasn't a top 6 guy, because he had all the tools just needed some more playing time. The only reason they moved him is because I think he asked because of all the stuff going on in California at the time, I think his parents lost their house in the fires and he wanted to be close to home in order to help them get back on their feet.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don't think Trevor Moore was traded because he wasn't a top 6 guy, because he had all the tools just needed some more playing time. The only reason they moved him is because I think he asked because of all the stuff going on in California at the time, I think his parents lost their house in the fires and he wanted to be close to home in order to help them get back on their feet.

I never said he was traded because he wasn’t a top six guy. He was traded cause we wanted Campbell. I was just pointing out, on the Leafs Moore was never truly going to have the opportunity to be a top six guy because we had a log jam. But the Kings saw something in him and believed in his potential, coupled by the fact he’d play for his home town team, it would be the perfect environment for him to grow and develop.

That’s what I’m trying to allude to. For Robertson, maybe Toronto isn’t the best fit for him. Maybe he needs a different scenery to flourish.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
I’ve always been on the Crouse train. I think he’s definitely the type of LWer we need on the second line. Imo, we don’t necessarily need a winger to come in and light it up.

We need a winger that can bring that power forward type of game. Heavy forecheck, battle in the corners, provide a big body presence in front of the net, stick up for his linemates, and chip in on the scoresheet here and there.

He checks all those boxes and could also be a great template for Knies to follow. I would love to get Crouse, and have Knies come up and fill the third line spot.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
What do the Leafs truly need?

Goaltending, check.

Defenders, looks like it so check.

Scoring, in spades, check.

Depth forwards, it does look like it, so check.

2L LW, uhhh hard to say, it's not Robertson, it wasn't Malgin, Yarnbong maybe in a pinch, Steeves? Gaudette? any Marlie? lots of doubt there. Wait I know a 21 year old who is currently playing college hockey and looks good doing so. Is he going to stand up to a Brad Marchand, a Panarin, a Kucherov or any of the other meat eating RWs in the east? It's a big ask.

Only one other person mentioned the LW that has over the last few years become a really good, physical 200 foot guy that can score 20+, and that he himself is a known meat eater. So if you want the Leafs to spend maybe what you should drop some quid on is;

Lawson Crouse 6'4" 215 lbs initiater of contact, buries chances and an Ontario boy who was a charter member of Leafs Nation when he was a kid growing up and dreaming of an NHL career.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think this year be your guys year. You run into a lot of bad luck in recent years. It evens out after awhile

BTW, came here to comment on Jays trade. Can't find their thread? Use to be one here

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I think this year be your guys year. You run into a lot of bad luck in recent years. It evens out after awhile

BTW, came here to comment on Jays trade. Can't find their thread? Use to be one here

Reactions: Atrusai

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I never said he was traded because he wasn’t a top six guy. He was traded cause we wanted Campbell. I was just pointing out, on the Leafs Moore was never truly going to have the opportunity to be a top six guy because we had a log jam. But the Kings saw something in him and believed in his potential, coupled by the fact he’d play for his home town team, it would be the perfect environment for him to grow and develop.

That’s what I’m trying to allude to. For Robertson, maybe Toronto isn’t the best fit for him. Maybe he needs a different scenery to flourish.
He needs to stay healthy first and foremost.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Players worth 1st round picks+ tend to sit the game prior to the deadline to not risk injury. Foligno had been fine the rest of the season, and nothing had happened to Foligno to cause injury the game prior. "Day to day" injuries also don't take more than his 2 week quarantine period to heal anyway. Foligno himself has confirmed multiple times that he got hurt while with us, not before, and his back injury in early May was something new and debilitating, and we saw it ourselves in the All Or Nothing series. I don't know how this myth persists.

Preferring other targets is fine - I probably would have preferred Hall as well - but let's not misrepresent what happened with Foligno.
What else is Foligno going to say? He certainly isn’t going to throw Dubas’s under the bus by saying ya I was injured but we snuck it thru.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Dubas has made it pretty clear that he's not going all in.

I assume that they want to be a great team for 15 years and not be up and down during the course of Matthews' career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad