Do You Believe We should Go All In Over the Next 2 Years?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
What else is Foligno going to say? He certainly isn’t going to throw Dubas’s under the bus by saying ya I was injured but we snuck it thru.
If you see somebody get injured while here after multiple healthy games, see the behind the scenes footage of their injury while here, and hear everybody involved including literally the person who got injured acknowledge that they got injured while here and detail their injury and the situation around it, and your reaction to that, with absolutely nothing resembling evidence, is to claim that they got the injury prior to coming and that the league, all hockey media, Amazon, Foligno, Dubas, and all other Leaf and Columbus management, players, and staff coordinated a giant conspiracy to facilitate and then indefinitely cover up the illegal trade of a secretly injured player for... reasons..., then I think you need to take a step back and look at your biases.

What do you mean what is Foligno going to say? Why would he lie? Why would he even care about Dubas, especially as a member of the Boston Bruins? Why would he go along with something like this in the first place? Why would Dubas? Why would the NHL? Did Amazon doctor footage or something? It's just so obviously silly in so many ways.

Why is it so hard to just acknowledge that he got injured while with us? It sucks, but it's a risk in this sport. You move on.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
What do the Leafs truly need?

Goaltending, check.

Defenders, looks like it so check.

Scoring, in spades, check.

Depth forwards, it does look like it, so check.

2L LW, uhhh hard to say, it's not Robertson, it wasn't Malgin, Yarnbong maybe in a pinch, Steeves? Audette? any Marlie? lots of doubt there. Wait I know a 21 year old who is currently playing college hockey and looks good doing so. Is he going to stand up to a Brad Marchand, a Panarin, a Kucherov or any of the other meat eating RWs in the east? It's a big ask.

Only one other person mentioned the LW that has over the last few years become a really good, physical 200 foot guy that can score 20+, and that he himself is a known meat eater. So if you want the Leafs to spend maybe what you should drop some quid on is;

Lawson Crouse 6'4" 215 lbs initiater of contact, buries chances and an Ontario boy who was a charter member of Leafs Nation when he was a kid growing up and dreaming of an NHL career.
I like the Crouse idea, as well. He's in the age group of our core and is someone I could see fitting in well on the 2nd line. Dropping a 1st for a guy that will remain on the team long-term that is 25 years old isn't bad at all.

Reactions: ACC1224

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Dubas has made it pretty clear that he's not going all in.

I assume that they want to be a great team for 15 years and not be up and down during the course of Matthews' career.

Being a great team isn’t just about drafting. It’s the whole package. It’s about making moves that also improve your team. This board is showing a true lack of urgency because of the lack of success. So many with an inferiority complex when it comes to the leafs. You can’t be sacred to make a move. Also I’m not advocating for a stupid trade. Make a trade for a good player with some term. Who can help the team get better. But I guess when we haven’t had success and the one time we try something it doesn’t work, that’s what the fan base will look to.

Look back at all former cup winners. Yes they drafted well, but at some point they made moves either the season they won or a few seasons before to bring impact players in.

Successful GM’s have to be open and willing to make big moves and also draft well.

Tampa is showing you don’t need first rounders to create an efficient pipeline. You need a good scouting department.

Keeping picks doesn’t = success 15 years down the road. Building a winning culture does. Pittsburgh virtually hands away picks every year and have been a constant in the playoffs for about 15 years. It doesn’t have to be one extreme or the other. Find a balance between the both.

And this is why I struggle everyday with coming to terms of whether Kyle is really the right guy for the job. Because when it comes down to it, I don’t think he has the stomach to make that type of deal again after the Foligno trade.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
We've been going all in for years. Every year at the trade deadline Dubas is doing something. Foligno, Muzzin, Giordano.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
The term “all in” means that you’re putting all your chips in, for one shot to win it all. In poker, if that works out, then you win huge and gain a big pot that makes you a force for a lot more hands.

Going all in in hockey doesn’t give you the same victory. Sure, you might end up with a Stanley Cup, but what about the years after that? Especially if you go all in for a rental, or two.

I guess the real question is:

How comfortable are you in giving up years of future potential success, for one year of potential success?

The only way to go all in, is to give up future assets for players that have term. Players that you believe can be the difference makers, and can be for multiple kicks at the can.

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
i could be wrong but i have a feeling....

1) Argentina lost to saudi in the first game and then went on to win the cup

2) Bills go on to win the superbowl

and I am saying the below as one of the staunchest dubas critic

3) Leafs win the cup

2023 gonna be an interesting year.

TBD

Reactions: Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
i could be wrong but i have a feeling....

1) Argentina lost to saudi in the first game and then went on to win the cup

2) Bills go on to win the superbowl

and I am saying the below as one of the staunchest dubas critic

3) Leafs win the cup

2023 gonna be an interesting year.

TBD
If I could like this 100 times I would

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad