Line Combos: Do we really have cap issues?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
My guess is 2 out of 4 of Kadri, Johnsson, Kapanen, Brown are moved unless Marner comes in at Kucherov's price point.

I think we are going to see several new faces by choice, including a RD.

If they move Zaitsev, which I don't feel strongly about, there could be 2 new RD on the team from outside.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Where is Brown ?
No Kappy ?
No Johnsson ?

40 million on 4 forwards isnt smart.

46.5 for 5 forwards.

Ouch.

The post answers Brown question. He is replaceable with a cheap contract IMO.

Kappy and AJ were not included....but obviously an upgrade on some of the guys listed if create a little more space or resigned and traded to address d needs? I guess this is the pain where we commit to the core but decent players are traded as they graduate from ELC's ala Chicago Blackhawks model.

The money spent on forwards is rough but that's not my doing. Its what we are faced with and it sucks I agree.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It'll be tight and require some tough decisions. Not sure about Bracco and Engvall on the team just yet. Would probably replace Engvall with Gauthier, but RW options to replace Bracco would be much more expensive (Kapanen, Brown). Then again, Mikheyev could also move back to RW and Petan to LW. Would be tough from a cap perspective to have Marleau on the fourth line. Winger depth looks thin without both Johnsson and Kapanen. Hyman and Dermott not starting the season with the team would be important factors as well.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes, we do have cap issues.

Ignoring it doesn't make them go away.

Matthews

Before: $975k
After : $11.633 mil

Difference: -$10.659 mil cap space = Gardiner @ - $4.05 mil & - Hainsey @ -$3.0 mil & Kapanen RFA ~ -$3 mil (to resign) = ~ $10.05 mil OUT !!

Marner
Before: $875k
After: ~ $10 mil

Difference: -$9.125 mil cap space = Kadri @ -$4.5 mil & Brown @ -$2.1 mil & Johnsson RFA ~ -$2.6 mil (to-resign) = ~ $ 9.2 mil OUT !!!!

Kadri + Brown as well as Johnsson and Kapanen RFAs to rich to resign dealt for futures picks/prospects or young players on ELC, while Gardiner and Hainsey walk as UFAs.

All 6 players OUT replaced with Marlies making <$1 mil or from returned futures from above deals of players/prospects on ELC making < $1 mil.

= Cap compliant... See no cap issues :wg:

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
This was only to show we can stay under the cap without any crazy moves. IMO it still ices a competitive lineup but from the responses I may be out to lunch on that.

What should be clear I think is given this as a start, there are options to improve it.

Trade Marleau - would be huge just not looking likely
Replace Kadri with a less expensive 3C that can help on PK. good faceoffs too.
Trade Zaitsev
Trade or Resign AJ and Kap
Trade other prospects and picks

I didn't even reach the max cap so theres a little money left over already.

I get hoping Mikheyev, Korshkov, Bracco, Engvall, Holl, Rosen, and Borgman all are able to make the jump is very optimistic. Certainly higher on some than others.

Moore in a top 9 is a guarantee for me, but looks like that opinion may be off too lol.

Cap issues, for sure. Cap hell....No.

Thanks to those who participated in constructive discussion. Its less negative that I expected.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
We can’t afford 40 million for four players
One of Matthews Tavares Marner Nylander have to go.

Which one and why.

Also we retained on the kessel deal can we trade that

ie. Phil’s retained hit for a fourth to Ottawa

Is this allowed in the cba

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
About 200K in Cap Space with 83M cap.

zF9wjQq.png

8qSrKTZ.png

Don't you like Zach Hyman? You're ousting him for cap space too?

Edit: oh he's LTIR'd my bad

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs cap problems might naturally take care of themselves.

If some team Offer-sheets Marner for a $$ too large for Leafs to be able to fit, then all their cap issues go away, they take the picks and then instead of giving Mitch the $10 mil you use it to resign Kapanen for $3 mil and AJ for $ 2.6 mil and then use the remaining $5 mil free cap towards a top pairing RHD to partner with Rielly.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
That team doesn’t make the playoffs

Holl playing regularly
Sparks as our backup
Moore in our top 6

Ya, we can come up with a cap compliant roster easily enough.

But, I can't see how the middle of our lineup will be as strong as this year's version, and the defense still looks a little shaky & suspect imho.

I could see a bit of a downturn season if that's the kind of roster we put on the ice for a good chunk of the year.

I remember vividly the good old days when we'd sign our big three all at once, and when we'd never have any cap problems. Even the mere suggestion that cap issues would happen to us as well eventually drew the ire of many here. LOL.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
This was only to show we can stay under the cap without any crazy moves. IMO it still ices a competitive lineup but from the responses I may be out to lunch on that.

I get hoping Mikheyev, Korshkov, Bracco, Engvall, Holl, Rosen, and Borgman all are able to make the jump is very optimistic. Certainly higher on some than others.

Moore in a top 9 is a guarantee for me, but looks like that opinion may be off too lol.

Cap issues, for sure. Cap hell....No.

Not sure how much benefit can be derived from playing with words/terms like "cap issues" versus "cap hell".

To me, it looks like the middle of our lineup will take a hit and that next year's talent level will decrease. Seem obvious barring a lot of really positive surprises from our low cost replacements.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016

If some team Offer-sheets Marner for a $$ too large for Leafs to be able to fit, then all their cap issues go away, they take the picks and then instead of giving Mitch the $10 mil you use it to resign Kapanen for $3 mil and AJ for $ 2.6 mil and then use the remaining $5 mil free cap towards a top pairing RHD to partner with Rielly.

Do you really think that someone will pay that much plus the picks for Marner? I really do like him but the loss of all those first round picks on top of the 10+ million would hurt. I just do not see anyone doing that.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
why is everyone forgetting Hyman and his cap hit in their arm-chair GM mode? You do know that he will be back after a while right

also does that include Kessel's retention?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Don't you like Zach Hyman? You're ousting him for cap space too?

Edit: oh he's LTIR'd my bad

Just normal IR, so the 200K in space includes their cap hits. So when they can back and we sent down, say Holl and Gauthier, we’d have around 1.4Mish in cap

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am in the pro Dubas camp but if he starts next season with 4 guys taking up 40 mil of the cap, I will not be a part if the pro Dubas camp any longer. He's got some work to do in order to ensure we have a competitive team next season. Let alone a contender. I will lose a lot if faith in him if he makes Marner the highest paid winger in the game.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

Oh yea, the exact same team, minus Marner and and replacing Gardiner with a FA dman signing for 5mil.................
That will certainly fix the team :sarcasm:

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
A leaf fan asking if the team has cap issues would be like an oilers fan claiming they're cup favourites. It's being completely and intentionally in denial of reality.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Nylander, Brown, Marleau all have to go. The entire third line was junk.

I think there is no point trading Nylander. His value is at an all time low, why trade now? I would gamble on him that he can, at the very least, go back to 60pt+ seasons and reclaim much value if traded.

Marleau, yea, be great.... good luck on that one though.

Brown, saves 1 mil. Most replacements will not be huge upgrades at all. Although a black hole on offense this year, he is pretty good defensively, and that will be hard to replicate from most of his candidates to replace him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's been interesting how many of the main Toronto media types have suggested a Marleau trade as a real possibility.

Personally had figured it couldn't happen, but who knows at tha point. Flipping him basically would solve most issues.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad