Do we have any hope of winning a Stanley Cup without an elite center?

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Tampa-Stamkos
Anaheim-Getzlaf
Chicago-Toews
One of these teams will win the cup.

Looks like a Stepan/Brassard type pairing doesn't cut it.

Well, it did last year. Hell, it almost happened again.

This is similar to when Niemi won the cup against Leighton and everyone started questioning whether or not elite goaltending mattered.

The fact is there is no set model to build a cup winner, other than having quality depth throughout the lineup.

BigBush*

I don't know if I'd put them in the elite category

Same with Toews actually

Clutch and elite are very different characteristics

Geez Louise!! Toews not an elite centre????? I don't know what to say.

Do you know how many goals Carter has scored in the last several years?

If you don't consider Toews, Kopitar, or Carter elite then the answer is no, you don't need an elite centre.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I love Zibby and I hope he explodes next year, but why are we blue-skying a guy who's never cracked 50 when our current number 1 had 64 points last year, who's numbers just get better every year, and who's never had the luxury (until recently Stone) of playing solid wingers? No offence to Mac, but he's no Kane or Perry.

Turris 64
Towes 68
Getzlaf 70

He's not far off, let's give our boy a chance.

Lol that's true but it's cause if Zibanejad gets 64 points he'd be a top 15-20 C in the league. Turris isn't that yet even with 64 points. Zibanejad's size, physical game put him over the top and is what you need in playoffs over rigorous 4 rounds. Turris still gets pushed around and isn't as physically intimidating.

The way I see it is you gotta score 70ish points and PPG in playoffs as a 2 way C who isn't physical and not overly big in order to be a number 1 C. Essentially Krecji.

However, you also can score around 60ish points with 2 way and strong physical/big body game and also be a number 1 C. Aka Backes, Carter, Bergeron

Most often then not you normally need 2 types of those to go deep and luckily for us, we seem to have those. We just need Zibanejad to enter a higher tier. We could very well have 2 number 1 C's in a couple years.

Tampa-Stamkos
Anaheim-Getzlaf
Chicago-Toews
One of these teams will win the cup.

Looks like a Stepan/Brassard type pairing doesn't cut it.

NYR never made it on the strength of their C's even though Brassard is very clutch. They aren't overly strong or physical and that's a huge disadvantage. And they aren't normally high-end producers as well. Zibanejad and Turris should easily be better if Zibanejad continues to improve. They made it on backs of their spectacular D and goaltending.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
These types of posts make me think that this fan base is the worst.

Ottawa is a cap floor team. How can you complain about 2 life long Sens salaries? They don't get paid that much...

And then you slight Murray for the best trade and draft pick this team has made under his reign. Too bad he drafted Perry/Getzlaf for Anaheim and not Ottawa...

Seriously shaking my head right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad