Do We Have a #1 Goalie? All Purpose Goalie Talk ‎ (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Oh please. Reimer is the back up according to every Bernier supporter. Bernier is the solid #1 right? So when your #1 doesn't play well, you're going to talk about it. In fact, the string of games he had leading up to being ill was so poor, you couldn't help but not talk about it.

You let in a goal from 115 feet out, you deserve the pages and pages of conversation about you.

I'm just stating it how it is. I've been reading the goaltending thread since the beginning of last year. When Bernier was on a roll, no one bumped this thread up. Then all of the sudden he has a bad month and people are saying that he's a back-up and that we should trade him. He gets a lot of unwarranted hate because he's a number one goalie, like you said. However, it's also acceptable to talk about him when he lets in a horrible goal. It's some of the comments I've been reading about is mind-blogging.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
I'm just stating it how it is. I've been reading the goaltending thread since the beginning of last year. When Bernier was on a roll, no one bumped this thread up. Then all of the sudden he has a bad month and people are saying that he's a back-up and that we should trade him. He gets a lot of unwarranted hate because he's a number one goalie, like you said. However, it's also acceptable to talk about him when he lets in a horrible goal. It's some of the comments I've been reading about is mind-blogging.

You are sometimes his lone defender. :)

It's OK as someone posted earlier, when this team is ready to contend, neither Reimer OR Bernier will be here.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Anyone who has played goal knows Bernier is better.

It's about him maturing mentally upstairs, that's on him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Gotta get the top line back to playing 25 mins.

Get Clarkson back in

Gotta bench Rielly, Santa and Winnik.

They aren't following the game plan at all :sarcasm:

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I get the fandom for Reimer, unassuming character gets his chance from the ECHL and does well. He smiles a lot, he's a nice dude, I get it.

I just want the best goalie for this team. Bernier has the potential to be an all star, Reimer just let up 5 goals. A couple of them at least were stinkers.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
I get the fandom for Reimer, unassuming character gets his chance from the ECHL and does well. He smiles a lot, he's a nice dude, I get it.

I just want the best goalie for this team. Bernier has the potential to be an all star, Reimer just let up 5 goals. A couple of them at least were stinkers.

I think you're wrong. Whenever Reimer lets in a goal, its because he had no chance...it was a perfect shot. Doesn't matter whether he lets in 1, 2 or 5...He had no shot at making the save. :sarcasm:

Now on the other hand, if that was Bernier who let in 5...oh boy, this thread would explode! :rant:

On a serious note, we really...really..need to help our goaltenders out more on defense. But at least the offense has somewhat returned :)

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
When your starter gives up lots of goals, expect people to be more upset than when the backup does the same.

Anyways, who are we kidding? Neither is playing like a starter (on playoff team at least).

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
I think you're wrong. Whenever Reimer lets in a goal, its because he had no chance...it was a perfect shot. Doesn't matter whether he lets in 1, 2 or 5...He had no shot at making the save. :sarcasm:

Now on the other hand, if that was Bernier who let in 5...oh boy, this thread would explode! :rant:

On a serious note, we really...really..need to help our goaltenders out more on defense. But at least the offense has somewhat returned :)

I defend Reimer a lot and bash Bernier for his bad games.

Reimer absolutely let in some stinkers tonight. He has to get that last goal. As well, those wide open nets were wide open because he was out of position. And yeah, Rielly screened him but that floater from the point has to be stopped.

Is that fair?

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
I honestly feel bad for James. The way the organization has treated him... They totally mishandled the Bernier trade. Net should have been Riemers to loose and Berniers to earn. Carlyle ****ed this team up royally with personnel decisions and systemic structure.

I think James is the better Goalie when he is on. Problem is he plays one game every month. Hard for him to get in the groove when he has no time to get some rhythm going. Especially when your on a bad team and have to be on your game to look good. Carlyle flat out gave the net to Bernier when he came in.

Part of me wants to see what would happen if Bernier were to be traded (I think he fetches bigger return) and if Riemer being the clear cut #1 again would maybe get him back to form. Guy is a great personality and hard to dislike. If the team around him improves and he gets some confidence back he would be a rockstar in this town again.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
I defend Reimer a lot and bash Bernier for his bad games.

Reimer absolutely let in some stinkers tonight. He has to get that last goal. As well, those wide open nets were wide open because he was out of position. And yeah, Rielly screened him but that floater from the point has to be stopped.

Is that fair?

Lol wasn't directed at you. Just in general xD

And this isn't exactly related to Bernier/Reimer, but Luongo let in a big stinker today.
Wonder how their fanbase is taking it... Probably don't even care LOL!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/luongo-pokes-fun-at-himself-after-terrible-goal/

AJRAYMOND

Jun 13, 2009
Canada
What a god awful team to play in front of. My condolences to both Reimer and Bernier. If there's a god they'll both get traded to the KHL. :laugh:

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Id like to see an NHL calibre coach and NHL calibre defence before judging the goalies.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Bernier is soft mentally, Reimer is a fish out of water.

What a ****ing tandem.

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Anyone who has played goal knows Bernier is better.

It's about him maturing mentally upstairs, that's on him.
Yep. In goalie circles and in goalie coaching circles, it isn't a debate.

The only reason it is among the Leaf fan base is because no one really is assessing goaltending skill, they are quoting stats and solely blaming the goalies for them, and looking at the latest highlight (or low light) reel. Of course the goalies are partly responsible for the stats, but no goalie on the planet is going to look like a bonified #1 or elite or anything good on this team.

As for the centre ice goal...every goalie lets one in now and then. Luongo did tonight. Broduer has let in a few including in his prime during the 2003 SCF. Anyone attaching a lot of meaning to that needs to broaden their perspective. I agree Bernier does seem to have focus issues too often, but Reimer is a crap shoot every night, and he will never be a consistent goaltender because his game is all over the map.

Bernier honestly really needs to improve in one area, Reimer on the other hand needs big improvement in everything except size and being a good guy.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Bernier has the potential to be an all star

When is he going to start living up to that potential?

Reimer just let up 5 goals. A couple of them at least were stinkers.

None of them were from the opposing blue line.

And on the first couple of goals he had absolutely no chance. On another he was screened by Reilly.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think there should be no argument whether it's Team Bernier or Team Reimer. Neither have earned #1G title, and neither are sacred cows that should be excluded from being moved. Team is rebuilding, neither is needed here at the moment.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Bernier is soft mentally, Reimer is a fish out of water.

What a ****ing tandem.

Lol, a year ago they were one of the best and know they are on of the worst? Like what the poster said above, we need a competent defense before we judge our goalies.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
When is he going to start living up to that potential?

None of them were from the opposing blue line.

And on the first couple of goals he had absolutely no chance. On another he was screened by Reilly.

As soon as he play in front of a competent defense.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
As soon as he play in front of a competent defense.

This is so true. I had a laugh at Bernie's expense on the long goal but the guy is damn good goalie. Is he Elite, not sure but he's what we need for a while.

The team in front is in shambles and the best thing for this team is for these goalies to play an average game at the moment. He did steal us a few games I guess eh Paradoc? Lol.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Yep. In goalie circles and in goalie coaching circles, it isn't a debate.

The only reason it is among the Leaf fan base is because no one really is assessing goaltending skill, they are quoting stats and solely blaming the goalies for them, and looking at the latest highlight (or low light) reel. Of course the goalies are partly responsible for the stats, but no goalie on the planet is going to look like a bonified #1 or elite or anything good on this team.

As for the centre ice goal...every goalie lets one in now and then. Luongo did tonight. Broduer has let in a few including in his prime during the 2003 SCF. Anyone attaching a lot of meaning to that needs to broaden their perspective. I agree Bernier does seem to have focus issues too often, but Reimer is a crap shoot every night, and he will never be a consistent goaltender because his game is all over the map.

Bernier honestly really needs to improve in one area, Reimer on the other hand needs big improvement in everything except size and being a good guy.

Stopping the puck has more to do with being technically sound.

Mike Palmateer anyone?

You wouldn't teach Hasek's style to a goalie either, nor Reimer's.

But they can stop the puck regardless. Heart is their major ingredient, not style.

That is something Bernier is greatly lacking.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
Stopping the puck has more to do with being technically sound.

Mike Palmateer anyone?

You wouldn't teach Hasek's style to a goalie either, nor Reimer's.

But they can stop the puck regardless. Heart is their major ingredient, not style.

That is something Bernier is greatly lacking.

Reimer's style is "swimming" or "flopping". And please don't insult Hasek by putting him in any comparison or similitaries with Reimer.

What makes Reimer seem like he has "heart" is the fact he is out of position and makes a desperation save whereas a more technically sound goalie will make it look easy... Thus appearing as if he doesn't have "heart".

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Reimer's style is "swimming" or "flopping". And please don't insult Hasek by putting him in any comparison or similitaries with Reimer.

What makes Reimer seem like he has "heart" is the fact he is out of position and makes a desperation save whereas a more technically sound goalie will make it look easy... Thus appearing as if he doesn't have "heart".

I see by your avatar your a Bernier fan.

Hasek didn't hit his stride until he was 29.

And no, Reimer is not in the same class as Hasek. Reimer was drafted 3 rounds ahead of him.;)

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
I see by your avatar your a Bernier fan.

Hasek didn't hit his stride until he was 29.

And no, Reimer is not in the same class as Hasek. Reimer was drafted 3 rounds ahead of him.;)

Just cause I have a picture of Bernier does not mean I'm a fanboy.
I'll put a picture of Reimer there if you'd like.

How old is Bernier exactly? Same can be said for both goaltenders.

And Bernier was drafted 3 rounds ahead of him ;)

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013
I wonder if Team Reimer or Team Bernier actually wants their guy to be on this team? As a Reimer fan I have been hoping he will get traded because aint nothing good happening with this team for quite a few years. I think Bernier has a clear advantage over Reimer right now...he is a UFA and can get out of here before this market turns him into Raycroft 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad