Do We Have a #1 Goalie? All Purpose Goalie Talk ‎ (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1742549

The gap seems to getting ever so narrow between Bernier and Reimer; and not in a good way.

Bernier is 21st in NHL at 0.912 save %, while Reimer is 31st at 0.907%.

Bernier is 30th in NHL at 2.76 GAA, while Reimer is 37th at 3.11.

As it can be deduced, neither is playing like a #1 goalie. Not on a playoff bound team anyways.

Reimer= 163GP, 72-59-15; 2:88GAA, .913%
Bernier= 154GP, 71-55-17; 2:57GAA. .917%

Really I'd say there about almost even.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I wonder how the two of them would perform on teams that actually play defense.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Yep. Neither guy has clearly separated himself from the other. Not time to hitch ourselves to either one yet.

I agree.

Bernier has concentration issues that lead to bad goals. Reimer has rebound control issues, and, a weak glove hand.

I think we should actually trade Bernier, if we can get a 2015 2nd round pick for him from a team like Edmonton.

Wendigo

Nov 27, 2013
Certainly Bernier is more technically sound, and for those moments he's been on his game has looked elite. Conversely, Reimer does improve season-by-season, despite a somewhat less orthodox style. I question Bernier's mental game/focus: he seems thrown off easily, sometimes just by the crowd by his own admission; Reimer has a better shootout record, and doesn't seem to be as easily shaken.

The fact that Bernier had those great stretches and that they're close statistically now just tells you that when Bernier is off, he is definitely off.

Reimer is a no. 2 guy in this league, and I still feel that in Toronto, the No. 1 is Bernier's position to lose. But he may not be an iron man, and perhaps should only be slated for 50-55 games.

If they trade Bernier I won't lose any sleep over it so long as the returns are decent. Can Nonis be trusted with that kind of deal?

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Yep. Neither guy has clearly separated himself from the other. Not time to hitch ourselves to either one yet.

If I had to make a judgement call it'd be to keep Reimer and here's why: Reimer comes up with the big save when needed, yes he gives up rebounds but that can be helped if he plays behind a tight defensive system, as well he's clutch in the shootouts (yes u need these points).

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
It would be nice to have a starter that is drafted rather than traded for. Its been a while. Not saying thats a reason to trade bernier, just saying its nice to see a goalie we've drafted actually become good in the nhl and I would hate to give up on him now.

Its hard to say for sure that one is better than the other. Both have their flaws and are playing for a verry flawed team so judging them accurately is not easy

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It would be nice to have a starter that is drafted rather than traded for. Its been a while. Not saying thats a reason to trade bernier, just saying its nice to see a goalie we've drafted actually become good in the nhl and I would hate to give up on him now.

Its hard to say for sure that one is better than the other. Both have their flaws and are playing for a verry flawed team so judging them accurately is not easy

Why?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
We might have 2, we might have none. Now it is up to management if they can keep both until they found out or if they keep just one or trade them both. And why am I not feeling confident they make the right decision?

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
Reimer= 163GP, 72-59-15; 2:88GAA, .913%
Bernier= 154GP, 71-55-17; 2:57GAA. .917%

Really I'd say there about almost even.

i thought we were evaluating them as LEAFS? bernier wasn't even a starter before he came here.

bernier has played In 92 games as a LEAF 85 in which he has started. that's what? 69 games less than what you have posted. the real numbers are

berner:42-35-11 ; 2.73 gaa. and a .919 save percentage.

this isn't even a playoff bound team anyways no goalie was gonna change that.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto

we haven't had much luck with goaltending in the recent past. A lot of starters are drafted I.e. price, lundqvist. Its hard to trade for one so if we draft one that is actually good I'd want to keep him. Kind of like how people stress a 1c should be drafted. Reimer is a good nhl goalie and has starter potential. He's been our starter in the past and can still be in the future.

Still bernier is not one to give up on either. So really I don't know who we should trade :laugh:

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
i thought we were evaluating them as LEAFS? bernier wasn't even a starter before he came here.

bernier has played In 92 games as a LEAF 85 in which he has started. that's what? 69 games less than what you have posted. the real numbers are

berner:42-35-11 ; 2.73 gaa. and a .919 save percentage.

this isn't even a playoff bound team anyways no goalie was gonna change that.

So you want to throw out Bernier's performance as a back-up to a good team (Kings) and KEEP Reimer's performance as a back-up to a bad team (Leafs)?

It's now at a point where Bernier defenders sound like Reimer defenders.

Trade them both.

Last edited:

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
reimer is ****. the only advantage he has over bernier is his size.

other than that, his glove hand is LOL worthy. and his vision... what vision? get the guy some contact lenses already.

once bernier learns to keep his head in the game for a full 60 minutes its all over.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
While they are both similar in age and numbers so far, is there something to be said about Bernier having the higher / better upside compared to Reimer?

I just feel like if one of them is going to make it, it's Bernier who has the tools to do so consistently compared to Reimer.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
reimer is ****. the only advantage he has over bernier is his size.

other than that, his glove hand is LOL worthy. and his vision... what vision? get the guy some contact lenses already.

once bernier learns to keep his head in the game for a full 60 minutes its all over.

The only thing "over" is the time where we think Bernier is worthy of a longterm contract to be a starter. He hasn't proven that he has.

What's more likely is that he'll be a pretty good back-up in this league. His consistent mental gaffes coupled with his size makes him prone to be subpar.

Maybe the Kings knew exactly what they had in Bernier. I was wondering how we got this supposed "elite starter" for a broken Frattin, Scrivens and a second.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Defense fails yet again. When will people realize that our defense is **** and not our goaltenders? Seriously, don't know why people make a big deal about Bernier or Reimer these days. Giving 32 + shots against won't lead to any success.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Defense fails yet again. When will people realize that our defense is **** and not our goaltenders? Seriously, don't know why people make a big deal about Bernier or Reimer these days. Giving 32 + shots against won't lead to any success.

And that's only after two periods!

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Context.

Doesn't matter how many shots you are facing, if you are giving up weak / poorly timed goals like both of our guys have.

While the Coyotes game was an extreme example, I think it was pretty reflective of Bernier's time in Toronto - very good for large stretches, but when you need him to make a save, he often lets you down.

That's not something that you conceptualize based on a number of shots or how bad the defense in front of you plays. That's just inconsistent goaltending.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Yup. 50 + post whenever Bernier has a bad game / Reimer has a good game and barely a page when Bernier has a good game / Reimer has a bad game.

Oh please. Reimer is the back up according to every Bernier supporter. Bernier is the solid #1 right? So when your #1 doesn't play well, you're going to talk about it. In fact, the string of games he had leading up to being ill was so poor, you couldn't help but not talk about it.

You let in a goal from 115 feet out, you deserve the pages and pages of conversation about you.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Neither are #1's clearly. I feel Bernier has more of a chance to become one, but both of these guys give up more soft goals than any other goalie I watch.

Reimer is much more of a battler, because he has to chase the puck due to his silly rebound control.

By the time this team is good, neither will matter.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Context.

Doesn't matter how many shots you are facing, if you are giving up weak / poorly timed goals like both of our guys have.

While the Coyotes game was an extreme example, I think it was pretty reflective of Bernier's time in Toronto - very good for large stretches, but when you need him to make a save, he often lets you down.

That's not something that you conceptualize based on a number of shots or how bad the defense in front of you plays. That's just inconsistent goaltending.

Leafs are a horrible corsi team and according to sportsnet, they allowed the most scoring chances in the NHL. I think they said it was 18ish while the league average was 14ish. Also, Bernier can make those big saves. One game doesn't change the fact that he was saving this team a lot before the month of January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad