Do we give up on our Goalies too easily?

Sylhfer

#34 ԅ(‹o›Д‹o›ԅ)
Nov 25, 2013
Lurking...
Everyone knows we let some stellar talent slip through the system in past years.

From Tuukka Rask, who's playing amazingly in Boston and one of the major reasons Finland won a Bronze medal in the Olympics.

Ben Scrivens who's now stopping 50 shots in Edmonton, and looks like a possible future number one.

To now, James Reimer who according to some rumours was shopped around the trade-deadline. IMO passed up on for the 'more attractive' Jonathan Bernier. But yesterday, he showed us that he's still a great goalie, and will be wherever he goes.

Do we have a hard time holding on to good Goalies, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Tukkaa Rask was a 50/50 gamble (a bad trade regardless but still) and JFJ picked the wrong goalie to deal
Scrivens wasn't so great here and is falling back down to Earth. Was ruined last night.
Reimer I really like, but Bernier has been better. We can't keep both and if I had to chose it would be Bernier but it wouldn't be fair to Reimer to keep him as a back up.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
No, everyone here just exaggerates everything to one extreme or the other. From Reimer being done to "see, I told you he'd be fine!" based on two periods of play.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
No. I don't think so. When we traded Rask we thought Pogge couod be the future, unfortunately that did not happen.

Ben Scrivens was traded for Bernier so I am fine with that.

If anything we don't give up on goalies fast enough. I would have gone crazy if i had to watch Toskala or Raycroft suit up for the leafs one more time.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I honestly don't mind the Rask trade now at all.

Rask under the 2007-2011 team wouldn't be the same goalie he is under such a great Boston defense.

Reimer will be traded because Bernier is a better goalie. Scrivens was traded to make room for Bernier.

I don't see how we're giving up too early on anyone...if anything, we went out there and bolstered our goaltending to make up for the fact that our defense isn't consistent.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
We give up on everyone too easy. At least up until Burke/Nonis took over.

We've literally been plagued by years of management trading young assets for proven vets, like some over fed child trading in his future earnings for a god damn cupcake.

It's conditioned us as fans to jump on players after 1-2 seasons in the organization and write them off. Hell, we basically have a whole thread that's dedicated to bashing our most recent first round pick who has played 60 some odd games since being drafted.

I don't blame it on "us" I blame it on being conditioned over many years of this line of thinking. But as management have changed their approach, we will adapt and realize player development is a marathon not a sprint

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
LA also traded Bernier and Scrivens. Vancouver traded Schneider and Luongo. Atlanta/Winnipeg traded Lehtonen. Chicago let Niemi go. Montreal traded Halak. Ottawa traded Elliott. Philly traded Bobrovsky. Columbus traded Mason. etc. etc.

Goalies are extremely difficult to project, especially younger goalies. One year, on one team, they'll be sub-par and get outplayed by other goalies in the system. The next, on a new team, they'll be absolutely brilliant and make you regret ever moving them. I'm not going to complain about our goalie situation this year; who knows how well Rask would have developed in our system or if Scrivens could play like he has for LA/Edmonton.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I don't think the Leafs give up on their goalies too easily. I actually believe the Leafs don't develop enough of them.

The Rask trade was flat out stupidity. I wouldn't call that giving up on him, but one ill-fated trade from a moronic GM.

Scrivens turned into Bernier. A trade you do each and every time.

Reimer -- goalies are good currency, and that's what Reimer is. The issue for me isn't trading Reimer, because it makes sense. It's whether there is an adequate replacement for him so the team doesn't really skip a beat.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Everyone thought Pogge would be the better goalie, we dealt Rask for a Calder Winning goalie, in hopes he'd bounce back from his Sophmore year. He didn't. It was a risky trade that didn't work out. Unfourtunatley, neither did Pogge.

Scrivens was traded to get Jon Bernier, who is a better goalie, and is also young.

Reimer if/when he gets traded, will only be moved because we have a better goalie in Bernier, and I'd be too expensive to keep Reimer as a backup.

So the only one you can say we gave up on was Rask, but not Reimer and Scrivvy

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
This whole fan base gives up on players to easily.

How many times do we hear trade Kadri, trade Gardiner, Reimer is trash etc.

The impatience from a large amount of Leafs fans is irritating. Give players time to adjust develop. Not every player is ready to jump into the league and be an all star.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
No one can defend the Rask trade but Pogge was (if I remember correctly) just coming off a WJC win where he shone...and Leaf fans were pumped about him.

Oh well.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No one can defend the Rask trade but Pogge was (if I remember correctly) just coming off a WJC win where he shone...and Leaf fans were pumped about him.

Oh well.

The Bruins didn't want Pogge. It wasn't the Leafs choosing one over the other.

Azura

Nov 16, 2007
But yesterday, he showed us that he's still a great goalie, and will be wherever he goes.

One game after a couple of terrible ones and he's still great? He doesn't have the fundamentals to be great. Of course these threads pop up after he has one good game. Lame.

Sylhfer

#34 ԅ(‹o›Д‹o›ԅ)
Nov 25, 2013
Lurking...
One game after a couple of terrible ones and he's still great? He doesn't have the fundamentals to be great. Of course these threads pop up after he has one good game. Lame.

It wasn't his only good game for the Leafs.

ForSpareParts*

We never gave up on Potvin or Palmateer.

Do you think we gave up on Rhodes too easily?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
this is the thing

Would Rask be the same player [because he pretty much developed/grew up in the Boston system for the most part] today if he grew up/developed on the Leafs. He could still be great, or we could have ruined him.

Gustvasson was a hot mess here (and a lot of it apparently had to do with Allaire)

if we don't trade Scrivens, we don't have Bernier. I'd do that trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
This whole fan base gives up on players to easily.

How many times do we hear trade Kadri, trade Gardiner, Reimer is trash etc.

The impatience from a large amount of Leafs fans is irritating. Give players time to adjust develop. Not every player is ready to jump into the league and be an all star.

But also, (to play devils advocate), not every player is going to develop into an NHL'er just because you give them endless time in the NHL to develop.

For proper asset management you need to be proactive and identify times where it may be a good idea to "give up on a player". See: Schenn/JVR.

But this certainly doesn't mean it's always the case.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
But also, (to play devils advocate), not every player is going to develop into an NHL'er just because you give them endless time in the NHL to develop.

For proper asset management you need to be proactive and identify times where it may be a good idea to "give up on a player". See: Schenn/JVR.

But this certainly doesn't mean it's always the case.

But when is the last time anyone can recall a player on the Leafs getting endless time to develop?

That is true, sometimes a change of scenery is useful for a player. But a deal like Tlusty for Paradis never made any sense to me. Schenn, on the other hand was clearly mishandled in his development.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad