Proposal: Do we entertain bringing back Barrie this offseason?

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I'm no Barrie hater. I like him quite a bit.

but with the term and dollar amount he will likely be demanding there is no room for him here anymore.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Not a chance last thing Avs need is Barrie back. Maybe some depth players but they look pretty stacked and are pretty set. No need to blow cap space on something they don't need.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I don't particularly want him back at what he will cost, however it might be worth it just for the lolz we'd get from the bitter Leafs fans.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
giphy.gif
As my father made me watch and his father before him lol

Reactions: missionAvs

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'd honestly be okay with re-signing him if it's for a "hometown" discount and only three years. That's extremely unlikely though. Even if he has a bad year, there will be a team out there who will think the Leafs just misused him - He'll get his money and/or term.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
All the reasons he was traded are still there. His next contract, our young depth coming up behind him, the expansion draft... Nothing has changed. The play of our young, Barrie-less defense this year is just the cherry on top of the no-thanks sundae.

Reasons seemed obvious about dumping Barrie.

Some of the stupidity of fans suggesting $9M per would have been a financial disaster. Just surprised he’s actually worse than some of us believed. I’m fine on a return with a short term 3 year deal and less than $5M per. Just don’t want to include a NTC, so he can be retraded again.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The only way I could see it happening is if:
  • Timmins doesn't take steps to becoming a Top 4 D and/or has recurrent health issues.
  • Johnson's play falls off a cliff before next summer.
  • Barrie would be willing to sign for significantly less money and term, say like $6-7m and 4-5 years tops.
Even then, he'd be a luxury signing that I don't think this roster really needs. It's a nice thought and might work cap-wise for another year or two, but once you get into resigning Landeskog/Grubauer/Makar/etc then it is most definitely a luxury that's hard to fit in.

Girard --------- Makar
Cole/Byram -- Johnson
Zadorov ------- Barrie?

if EJ’s play drop off, we shouldnt be looking at Barrie and should be going for another big skating defensive D

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
if EJ’s play drop off, we shouldnt be looking at Barrie and should be going for another big skating defensive D

If EJ is no longer a viable player, ask to waive his NTC for the Expansion Draft. This will protect Zadorov. I don't believe Barrie is a replacement solution. Doubtful he'll return considering trading to the Leafs further exposed his weaknesses and likely costing him Million$.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Reasons seemed obvious about dumping Barrie.

Some of the stupidity of fans suggesting $9M per would have been a financial disaster. Just surprised he’s actually worse than some of us believed. I’m fine on a return with a short term 3 year deal and less than $5M per. Just don’t want to include a NTC, so he can be retraded again.

Given those proposed terms, why not just go all the way and demand that Barrie pay the Avs $5M/year just to play for them? Aside from the snark though, you're right. It doesn't make sense to bring Barrie back. I kind of hoped we would be way beyond this as a fan base by now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad