Proposal: Do we entertain bringing back Barrie this offseason?

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
His quick start with the leafs has fizzled to a whole lot of nothing (0 points and -7 in the last 9 games). It is unlikely barring injury that he will ever take away the PP1 from Rielly. Lets assume he has a pretty pitiful season points wise. That $8-9M per we were all guessing may fall down to $5-6-7M.

I have faith that Makar, Byram, and/or Girard will figure out the powerplay eventually, but holy hell has it looked bad and would be great to drop Barrie in right about now.

Is there a way to make it work with Barrie, Makar, Byram, Timmins, Girard, etc both cap and roster wise?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The only way I could see it happening is if:
  • Timmins doesn't take steps to becoming a Top 4 D and/or has recurrent health issues.
  • Johnson's play falls off a cliff before next summer.
  • Barrie would be willing to sign for significantly less money and term, say like $6-7m and 4-5 years tops.
Even then, he'd be a luxury signing that I don't think this roster really needs. It's a nice thought and might work cap-wise for another year or two, but once you get into resigning Landeskog/Grubauer/Makar/etc then it is most definitely a luxury that's hard to fit in.

Girard --------- Makar
Cole/Byram -- Johnson
Zadorov ------- Barrie?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
giphy.gif

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Yes just so I can see Leafs' fans try to tell everyone Kerfoot was still worth it because he's a franchise 3C.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
The realistic chance for it to happen would be very close to zero. Even if he did sign a team friendly contract that would work for us, he'd likely be exposed and taken in the expansion draft.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It would be a savvy move from Joe, but nah he wouldn't do it. Not to mention Barrie isn't signing for 5-6M. Even if his struggles continue for the full season(Highly, highly unlikely), he goes from getting a new contract that starts with a 9, to a new deal that starts with a high 7 instead.

Teams recognize he is an elite talent. Plain and simple.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He's too expensive and the Avs don't have room on the right side with EJ, Makar, and Timmins.

The left side is full too with Girard, Byram, Cole, Zadorov, and Graves, so they can't just switch Cale to the left to make room.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I have no interest in bringing back Barrie in the off-season. Not because I don’t think he’s a good player, but there is no need to take playing time away from Makar, Girard, Byram, Timmins.

I think we should be all about rental pickups this year. We have plenty of forwards and D coming, so we don’t need to be bringing in players with term.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
You should add a poll to this thread.

No.

How would the expansion draft work? Johnson has an NMC. Makar and Girard would be protected. That's 3. If the Avs protected 4 defenseman then they would likely have a hole on the 2nd line again.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’d give him a three year deal for whatever cap hit necessary.

He’s going to want long term obviously, but if teams scare off and the market becomes Gardiner like (regarding term) i’d gladly outbid any other team on a 3 year deal.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
While i dont think he comes back, it wouldnt shock me either. Im sure we will at least talk to him to see what hes thinking. I think the expansion draft aspect is a bit overblown. Obviously its not ideal but if were really that afraid of it, we can always give a draft pick or 2. I dont see that happening as much as it happened with vegas but deals will still be made

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Nah. He does help the locker room and he's good for 50+ points and his style of play won't degrade too badly, but I think were better off with Makar and Timmins and whoever else on the third pair. Almost the same amount of offense and they can't be any worse defensively for a fraction of the price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad