Proposal: Do we entertain bringing back Barrie this offseason?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Given those proposed terms, why not just go all the way and demand that Barrie pay the Avs $5M/year just to play for them? Aside from the snark though, you're right. It doesn't make sense to bring Barrie back. I kind of hoped we would be way beyond this as a fan base by now.

Barrie rumoured asking was $8M+ per. Unless his play dramatically improves, there is little to no chance of getting paid that much money. Playing for the AVs irrespective of his faults, gave him the perfect opportunity. Not only a fan favourite, but a long time and homegrown member of the team.

I'm fine with his return, just can't believe this will ever happen. His inability to excel elsewhere and money eliminates any chance of coming back.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Barrie rumoured asking was $8M+ per. Unless his play dramatically improves, there is little to no chance of getting paid that much money. Playing for the AVs irrespective of his faults, gave him the perfect opportunity. Not only a fan favourite, but a long time and homegrown member of the team.

I'm fine with his return, just can't believe this will ever happen. His inability to excel elsewhere and money eliminates any chance of coming back.

I'm not opposed to Barrie's return but I don't want to pay over $5M.

Reactions: Patagonia

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Don't kid yourself. Someone is going to give Barrie $8M+.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, one down year won't scare teams off from offering 8m+ on the open market. The shortage of RH PMDs in the league guarantees that. There will be a bidding war for his services next July, make no mistake.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Yeah, one down year won't scare teams off from offering 8m+ on the open market. The shortage of RH PMDs in the league guarantees that. There will be a bidding war for his services next July, make no mistake.

If you seriously believe Barrie can obtain $8M+ per, this thread should be closed. No chance the AVs will pay him that amount.

Reactions: flyfysher

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If you seriously believe Barrie can obtain $8M+ per, this thread should be closed. No chance the AVs will pay him that amount.
Which is exactly why he was traded in the first place. Other considerations played into it too but that was the big one.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Which is exactly why he was traded in the first place. Other considerations played into it too but that was the big one.

I agree that was his demands last season, but his current struggles should significantly impact his next deal.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I agree that was his demands last season, but his current struggles should significantly impact his next deal.
Like I said, GMs aren't going to value him any less because he had a down year. They can see him being misused as clearly as we can. Even if his struggles continue all year multiple GMs will believe they can get him back to being a 50 point player, and that will create a bidding war that will drive the price up.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Not for the amount of money that he's going to get. This coming from someone that loved having him.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Like I said, GMs aren't going to value him any less because he had a down year. They can see him being misused as clearly as we can. Even if his struggles continue all year multiple GMs will believe they can get him back to being a 50 point player, and that will create a bidding war that will drive the price up.
Ask Jake Gardiner how that works out , top PMD in the league most of his career 52 points 2 years ago , what did the bidding war bring him ? 4 years at 4.05 mill per . Barrie has been dogcrap defensively as well so far , nobody is paying him 8 , you guys made the deal of the century getting Naz and Rosen for Barrie and Kerplunk . Well played Mr Sakic well played indeed .

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Make no doubt about it, this season will cost Tyson a ton of money. He is being exposed in Toronto right now and all his flaws are on full display.

Had he stayed with the Avs it would have been another 50+ point season. Now it remains to be seen if he can break 40.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Make no doubt about it, this season will cost Tyson a ton of money. He is being exposed in Toronto right now and all his flaws are on full display.

Had he stayed with the Avs it would have been another 50+ point season. Now it remains to be seen if he can break 40.

All his flaws are being exposed and none of his strengths are being used. Everyone knows what his flaws are but it’s bad coaching if you put your players in a position where their strengths can’t be utilized.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I don't get why you think his so called strengths are being stifled , TO basicaly plays a 5 forward system , Morgan Reilly gets walked more than my nieghbours incontinent dog but picks up 40 seconday Apples and people love him , Muzzin was supposed to be the big bad answer to our ten ply baby wipe problem but aside from a hit or two a night he's a baby cat {sorry theres a mod on hf who bans me every time he percieves a chance so I really have to watch my language }.doesn't play any D at all but has been putting in some puck so he is god , Bottom line Barrie is free to skate and cycle in low , we play a score more faster than the opponent and we win no matter how many they score system so he's free to go , he just keeps getting laid out or giving up a break away when he does .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
You guys are way better off without him , Rosen is a puck moving , good skating replacement and he can't crack your line up so you don't need Barrie or the weight of his salary .

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Make no doubt about it, this season will cost Tyson a ton of money.

Regardless of his season so far, playing under the spotlight was never going to be a good thing for Barrie. His stats are always better than the eye test.

Reactions: S E P H

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't get why you think his so called strengths are being stifled , TO basicaly plays a 5 forward system , Morgan Reilly gets walked more than my nieghbours incontinent dog but picks up 40 seconday Apples and people love him , Muzzin was supposed to be the big bad answer to our ten ply baby wipe problem but aside from a hit or two a night he's a baby cat {sorry theres a mod on hf who bans me every time he percieves a chance so I really have to watch my language }.doesn't play any D at all but has been putting in some puck so he is god , Bottom line Barrie is free to skate and cycle in low , we play a score more faster than the opponent and we win no matter how many they score system so he's free to go , he just keeps getting laid out or giving up a break away when he does .

Uh huh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad