Do they make the starting 2019-20 Detroit Red Wings?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Which of these players makes the 2019-20 Detroit Red Wings?
  • Hirose yes
  • Rasmussen no
  • Svechnikov no
  • Veleno no
  • Zadina probably not
  • G. Smith no
  • Turgeon no
  • Kuffner no
  • Ehn probably
  • De la Rose probably
  • Hronek absolutely
  • Seider no
  • Kaski probably not
  • Cholowski probably not
  • Hicketts probably not
  • Lindstrom no
  • Saarijarvi no
  • Larsson no

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
My best guess, based on Blashill's lines
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Athanasiou-Filppula-Hirose
Erne-Nielsen-Helm
Ehn-Glendening-Abdelkader
(De La Rose/Turgeon)
Dekeyser-Hronek
Nemeth-Green
Daley-Bowey
( Hicketts or McIlrath - But McIlrath allows Seider/Lindstrom/Kaski to be RHD in GR)
  • Hirose -- He's in.
  • Rasmussen - Grand Rapids. Could be the first call up if he's playing well and if the Wings need a boost. But I think he's probably third most likely forward to make the team on day 1.
  • Svechnikov - Grand Rapids. Should be another early callup. I'd prefer he start with the team on the Flip line with Hirose on the Nielsen line.
  • Veleno - Grand Rapids. Needs a year of pro hockey. But if a center goes down, I wouldn't hesitate to give him a look for 2-3 weeks.
  • Zadina - Grand Rapids. Kid needs to find his goal-scoring touch. I'd like to see 25 goals in GR with the general idea he'd start next year in Detroit.
  • G. Smith - Grand Rapids. He's got to round out his game and work on his skating.
  • Turgeon - Detroit. Up against it. Waiver wires this year. Don't imagine anyone picks him up. On Detroit because the other kids need to play to be here.
  • Kuffner - Grand Rapids. Needs to find another gear. He definitely seems to have hockey sense around the net.
  • Ehn - He's in and I think he's a bit underrated.
  • De la Rose - He's in if healthy.
  • Hronek - He's in. He's the obvious front runner.
  • Seider - Grand Rapids bound. Part of me thinks he could step in and play right now. But he's got a lot to learn.
  • Kaski - Grand Rapids bound.Not that impressed with him.
  • Cholowski - Grand Rapids bound. His Dzone work needs quite a bit of work. Has Kindl-like traits under pressure.
  • Hicketts - Could make the squad as an extra body to allow more TOI for all the young D in GR.
  • Lindstrom - Grand Rapids bound. He's got grit. I'll give him that. Needs to work on his skating.
  • Saarijarvi - Kid skates well and passes well, but never puts up the kind of numbers it's going to take to move up. If Edmonton needs a D in their system, should be traded to Holland. We've got too many young RHD.
  • Larsson - Grand Rapids bound. Didn't see much of him.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Hirose and Hronek will more than likely be every day guys.
Ehn/De la Rose will be a 12th-13th forwards and shuffled in and out of the line-up consistently.

The injury bug will hit, especially likely for Helm/Abby/Daley/Green and Zadina, Veleno, Svech, Cholo, Rasmussen, and Seider will likely all get call-ups at some point and have potential at sticking. Seider probably just a 9 game stint towards the end of the year.

Guys like Hickets, Kuffner might see a brief injury call-up but have no chance at securing a spot and sticking.

Larsson might sneak a peak if Howard gets injured again and Bernier sucks.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
My best guess, based on Blashill's lines
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Athanasiou-Filppula-Hirose
Erne-Nielsen-Helm
Ehn-Glendening-Abdelkader
(De La Rose/Turgeon)
Dekeyser-Hronek
Nemeth-Green
Daley-Bowey
( Hicketts or McIlrath - But McIlrath allows Seider/Lindstrom/Kaski to be RHD in GR)
  • Hirose -- He's in.
  • Rasmussen - Grand Rapids. Could be the first call up if he's playing well and if the Wings need a boost. But I think he's probably third most likely forward to make the team on day 1.
  • Svechnikov - Grand Rapids. Should be another early callup. I'd prefer he start with the team on the Flip line with Hirose on the Nielsen line.
  • Veleno - Grand Rapids. Needs a year of pro hockey. But if a center goes down, I wouldn't hesitate to give him a look for 2-3 weeks.
  • Zadina - Grand Rapids. Kid needs to find his goal-scoring touch. I'd like to see 25 goals in GR with the general idea he'd start next year in Detroit.
  • G. Smith - Grand Rapids. He's got to round out his game and work on his skating.
  • Turgeon - Detroit. Up against it. Waiver wires this year. Don't imagine anyone picks him up. On Detroit because the other kids need to play to be here.
  • Kuffner - Grand Rapids. Needs to find another gear. He definitely seems to have hockey sense around the net.
  • Ehn - He's in and I think he's a bit underrated.
  • De la Rose - He's in if healthy.
  • Hronek - He's in. He's the obvious front runner.
  • Seider - Grand Rapids bound. Part of me thinks he could step in and play right now. But he's got a lot to learn.
  • Kaski - Grand Rapids bound.Not that impressed with him.
  • Cholowski - Grand Rapids bound. His Dzone work needs quite a bit of work. Has Kindl-like traits under pressure.
  • Hicketts - Could make the squad as an extra body to allow more TOI for all the young D in GR.
  • Lindstrom - Grand Rapids bound. He's got grit. I'll give him that. Needs to work on his skating.
  • Saarijarvi - Kid skates well and passes well, but never puts up the kind of numbers it's going to take to move up. If Edmonton needs a D in their system, should be traded to Holland. We've got too many young RHD.
  • Larsson - Grand Rapids bound. Didn't see much of him.
The team stated they're gonna carry 13F & 8D to start. Also you forgot about Big E. I hope Turgeon makes it over JDLR, but that's probably unlikely.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm going with:

Hirose - Middle 6 winger in the line-up every game
Ehn and DLR - Rotate as 4th line wing/PK and spare centers
Hronek - Every night top 4 D/PP
Hicketts - #7/8D, at least to start the year

My thoughts on why Hicketts over other young D (or McIlrath):

-IMO, Bowey seems to have earned the opportunity to start the year as a regular in Ericsson's place and possibly even push Ericsson to #7D permanently
-They'll likely want a warm body for the press box on the NHL squad at D, and that's obviously not the best role for someone that needs to develop by actually playing hockey
-McIlrath could make sense too, but I think given his intangibles he's more useful keeping the flies off guys like Zadina, Veleno and Seider in GR
-Since it seems Seider and Cholowski will be fine in GR and they already have Lashoff and McIlrath, they don't exactly need Hicketts in GR
-If a young D comes up due to an injury and steals a regular spot from Bowey/Daley/Ericsson, Hicketts can easily be waived/demoted to make room on the NHL club and replace that young player in GR.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
  • Hirose - yes
  • Rasmussen - no
  • Svechnikov - no
  • Veleno - no
  • Zadina - no
  • G. Smith - maybe
  • Turgeon - no
  • Kuffner - no
  • Ehn -maybe
  • De la Rose - yes
  • Hronek - yes
  • Seider - no
  • Kaski - no
  • Cholowski - no
  • Hicketts -maybe (if they are afraid to lose him on waivers)
  • Lindstrom -no
  • Saarijarvi - no
  • Larsson - no

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Pretty much what @ShelbyZ said above, Except this:

For example: (Seider could replace Cholo or Kaski in this scenario)

Cholo/Kaski/Bowey all rotate for 3rd pair (164 games/3= 55 games each + any fill-ins for injuries to our Top 4 + some games where we play 7D + trading Green @TDL = probably well over 200 games/3 or minimum 67++ games each.

E & Daley to GR (that'd motivate the heck out of Abby too as an added benefit)

This way we're breaking in 1 rookie (Seider/Kaski + 1 "rookie" in Cholo) so next year our D won't be so green & we can hit the ground running, while also not losing Kaski back to Finland/UFA & the tank result will probably be the same. I'd be fine with running 7D for 40 road games + some home games.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Cholo/Kaski/Bowey all rotate for 3rd pair (164 games/3= 55 games each + any fill-ins for injuries to our Top 4 + some games where we play 7D + trading Green @TDL = probably well over 200 games/3 or minimum 67++ games each.

This way we're breaking in 1 rookie (Seider/Kaski + 1 "rookie" in Cholo) so next year our D won't be so green & we can hit the ground running, while also not losing Kaski back to Finland/UFA & the tank result will probably be the same. I'd be fine with running 7D for 40 road games + some home games.

To be honest, I think breaking in Hronek and Bowey is challenge enough.
I think Cholo will get 30-40 games this year.
Then Seider next year.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Wouldn't the two RHD need to play the same side though? In that case, dressing the 7D might make more sense, but then that means a couple wouldn't be getting that many minutes.

From what I recall, Kaski is open to playing in GR and can't become a UFA until he turns 27 unless the Wings opt not to qualify him.

I also don't think GR would be happy getting Ericsson and Daley, since that would mean they'd have to scratch 2 of their 8 total vets (Elson, Ford, McIlrath, Lashoff, Puempel, Terry and hypothetically Ericsson and Daley) every game.

Also, in an odd way, I don't see Abdelkader being totally scared of a demotion to GR. He'd still be making his NHL salary (and keeping more of it since IIRC guys assigned to the AHL don't pay into Escrow) which is certainly better than taking 2/3's of it on a buyout and trying to find work with another team for probably less than $1M a season, he'd also still be in his home state, and would be playing for a team where he's not constantly getting roasted by the fanbase.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Wouldn't the two RHD need to play the same side though? In that case, dressing the 7D might make more sense, but then that means a couple wouldn't be getting that many minutes.

From what I recall, Kaski is open to playing in GR and can't become a UFA until he turns 27 unless the Wings opt not to qualify him.

I also don't think GR would be happy getting Ericsson and Daley, since that would mean they'd have to scratch 2 of their 8 total vets (Elson, Ford, McIlrath, Lashoff, Puempel, Terry and hypothetically Ericsson and Daley) every game.

Also, in an odd way, I don't see Abdelkader being totally scared of a demotion to GR. He'd still be making his NHL salary (and keeping more of it since IIRC guys assigned to the AHL don't pay into Escrow) which is certainly better than taking 2/3's of it on a buyout and trying to find work with another team for probably less than $1M a season, he'd also still be in his home state, and would be playing for a team where he's not constantly getting roasted by the fanbase.
I realize the RHS situation with Kaski & Bowey on the bottom pair, so for those games we could dress 7D. But if it was Seider, he's already shown he can also play on the Left when needed. If Kaski's UFA is 27, then yeah GR makes more sense, in which case our 2 dinosaurs Daley & E + Hicketts probably round out the 8D (yuck). I think Abby has ~40-50 games before they'd send him down, maybe the entire season.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I realize the RHS situation with Kaski & Bowey on the bottom pair, so for those games we could dress 7D. But if it was Seider, he's already shown he can also play on the Left when needed. If Kaski's UFA is 27, then yeah GR makes more sense, in which case our 2 dinosaurs Daley & E + Hicketts probably round out the 8D (yuck). I think Abby has ~40-50 games before they'd send him down, maybe the entire season.

With the 7D scenario TOI could be:

Nemeth (17-18) - Green (18-20)
DDK (18-20) - Hronek (18-20)
Cholo (14-15) -Bowey (14-15)
..............Kaski (14-15)

Reactions: wingerdinger

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
i want ehn getting his chance as a grinding center . and mc'wrath our 8th d to keep the rats from gnawing on all the newbies . winning means nothing this season , its a developmental season . so wrath being under talented dont matter , mean while having his muscle around will put and end to some of the cheap shots and thats fair enough for me . plus he would prevent mantha having to fight guys that cheap shot us .

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think Rasmussen and Hirose have earned it. DLR and Ehn are probably locks even though I'm pretty indifferent about both. I expect Svechnikov and Kuffner to be the injury call-ups.

Cholowski deserves to start from what he's shown and Hronek will definitely be here day 1.

I'm hoping Larsson gets some reps this season as well.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Rasmussen is close to earning it. But not if he's at center.
I know Cholo drew raves from Pierre LaDouche last night, but I still think he's got a lot of Dzone work to do.
Zadina did himself no favors last night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Realgud

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The thing with cholowski being up is that even on the third pair he should still get a big chunk of minutes and we have the blueline makeup still give up a fair bit of special teams play. While he wouldn't be in line to get the sort of minutes he'd get in GR, he also shouldn't be looking at 15 minutes a night in Detroit - it should be closer to 20.

Rasmussen has looked capable of being an NHLer, but I want him in GR to get his reps at center. If we're keeping another kid up to play wing on top of Hirose, Ehn, and DLR, it could be a number of guys who are locked into that position. I'd be tempted to keep Smith up if we're looking at purely a bottom6 spot for a kid to go out and bang guys around.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Which of these players makes the 2019-20 Detroit Red Wings?
  • Hirose
  • Rasmussen
  • Svechnikov
  • Veleno
  • Zadina
  • G. Smith
  • Turgeon
  • Kuffner
  • Ehn
  • De la Rose
  • Hronek
  • Seider
  • Kaski
  • Cholowski
  • Hicketts
  • Lindstrom
  • Saarijarvi
  • Larsson

Hirose
Maybe Ras
Maybe Zadina
Ehn
DLR
Hronek
Maybe Cholowski

So that's four very likely to make it, three about 25-50% likely and the rest absolutely no shot.

Maybe Kaski can scam a spot.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The thing with cholowski being up is that even on the third pair he should still get a big chunk of minutes and we have the blueline makeup still give up a fair bit of special teams play. While he wouldn't be in line to get the sort of minutes he'd get in GR, he also shouldn't be looking at 15 minutes a night in Detroit - it should be closer to 20.

Rasmussen has looked capable of being an NHLer, but I want him in GR to get his reps at center. If we're keeping another kid up to play wing on top of Hirose, Ehn, and DLR, it could be a number of guys who are locked into that position. I'd be tempted to keep Smith up if we're looking at purely a bottom6 spot for a kid to go out and bang guys around.

Is it fair to the growth of any of these defensemen, or any of our youngish forwards, if we have 3 fairly inexperienced defensemen (Hronek, Cholo, Bowey) who bleed goals against?

I know Daley and Ericsson have high GA/60 too - but they do take the dzone draws

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Is it fair to the growth of any of these defensemen, or any of our youngish forwards, if we have 3 fairly inexperienced defensemen (Hronek, Cholo, Bowey) who bleed goals against?

I know Daley and Ericsson have high GA/60 too - but they do take the dzone draws

If we have guys better than them, yeah, it would be unfair. But I'm not sure we can honestly say we do. If we keep Cholo up, maybe the pairings could be switched around. Something like:

Cholo-Green
Dekeyser-Hronek
Nemeth-Daley

Cholo-Green could tilt towards more ozone draws, Nemeth-Daley could handle the dzone, while Dekeyser-Hronek could just take wherever since they're the closest thing we have to a pairing with that sort of versatility.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Kinda tired of this argument about D having to play their dominant side. I know it was a Babcock staple, but in grand scheme it don't bloody matter.

A good defenseman can adjust to play either side.

Detroit won the cup in 08 with a single right handed shooting D-man in the lineup. [Chelios don't count he was a healthy scratch for finals]

When Pittsburgh won the cup in 09 wanna know the breakdown of LHD and RHD?

5 LHD, 1 RHD.

By coincidence, the Wings on 09 cup finals still had 5 LHD and 1 RHD.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border

2018-19 D-zone start % (only looking at offensive vs defensive, ignores neutral zone)

Sulak - 63.3
Ericsson - 58.7
de Keyser - 57.6
Hickets - 56.7
Jensen - 55.2
McIlrath - 55.0
Chelious - 53.6
Daley - 53.2
Hronek - 53.1
Bowey - 51.1
Green - 49.3
Kronwall - 46.8