Do the Sabres ever plan on making the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
Matthews doesnt need good linemates to be successful and is the best 5v5 scorer in the league. Matthews is also good in all areas of the game, Eichel is more like a gazelle. Looks nice cause hes the flashier player but cant perform when space gets tighter for him like Matthews can.

DP

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
Matthews doesnt need good linemates to be successful and is the best 5v5 scorer in the league. Matthews is also good in all areas of the game, Eichel is more like a gazelle. Looks nice cause hes the flashier player but cant perform when space gets tighter for him like Matthews can.

Being a good 5vs5 scorer doesn't make you a better player, it makes you better at scoring goals. Laine is a great scorer which means absolutely nothing.

Mathews is very overrated because he can score goals. He lacks defensively just like eichel does. He lacks the same things OP is questioning Eichel for.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
They have some nice talent. Sometimes, rebuilding takes a little longer than anticipated. A few setbacks and mistakes could cause big delays.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I think Eichel is like Tavares, Seguin or Stamkos. Hes not good enough to lead a team but is an excellent support guy. Also, like Tavares he seems to live off draft hype rather than his actual play. Dahlin has done absolutely nothing yet.
If you think John Tavares has lived off of his draft hype, then I don't think you fully comprehend the sport. Like, at all.

You're not even close.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Theyre pretty much icing the same mediocre roster they have the last couple years. Literally their whole defence core is just a bunch of offensive guys that are all below average defensively, must as well just ice 5 forwards all night. They have 3 true top 6 forwards and I dont think Eichel is the guy thats good enough to lead a team anywhere. So what are the Sabres really trying to do? Do they plan on being relevant any time soon?

First of all Dahlin is going to be a Norris caliber Dman, perhaps as soon as this year or next.

Second, Eichel is certainly capable of leading the Sabers to the playoffs.

I think you are going to be surprised very soon as they have a young team that is going to get better.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I'm certainly no Sabres fan, but the lack of respect that Eichel gets on this site astounds me sometimes. Since his sophomore season, he has amassed 203 points in 205 games while playing on a team that doesn't offer very much in the way of offensive support. He has in no way, shape or form been a disappointment, and I feel like the only reason that people think he has been is because the stupid media tried to make him out to be on par with McDavid during their draft year for the purposes of manufacturing a rivalry that never existed.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
If you think John Tavares has lived off of his draft hype, then I don't think you fully comprehend the sport. Like, at all.

You're not even close.

Im just saying he was supposed to be better than what he turned out. Hes had a great career and certainly made a name off his play, but he gets called a superstar when he never has been up for awards outside of one year.

nofehr

Dec 17, 2012
I think the future looks bright in Buffalo. Eichel is a stud who always seems to play incredibly well against my Leafs. Dahlin without a doubt will be a Norris contender.
They may not be Stanley Cup contenders this year but I think if they put it all together, they could be a dangerous team to watch sooner than later.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
They're definitely "better" than last season. Overall I hate their approach of trynig to get better too soon. Suck for another 2 years and really tank. They did it once with Eichel, but tried to compete too soon. Doing the same thing with Dahlin. By the time theyre actually good, Eichel will walk.

Olofsson could be a huge difference.
The D is better depth wise, but still meh overall.
Goaltending is meh.

I see them going from a bottom 5 team to a bottom 10 team.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I think Eichel is like Tavares, Seguin or Stamkos. Hes not good enough to lead a team but is an excellent support guy. Also, like Tavares he seems to live off draft hype rather than his actual play. Dahlin has done absolutely nothing yet.
Tavares' actual play is pretty incredible his entire career.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
They added plenty of new faces on defense. Rebuild 1.0 certainly failed, but rebuild 2.0 has an outside shot at not failing.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Botts seems to be improving. I have high hopes for Krueger, although improving on Housley's ineptitude is a very low bar.

They'll be better this season, but the lack of scoring depth and consistent goaltending probably means they're a playoff bubble team, at best.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I've always liked Ristolainen. Problem is he was thrust into a top-pairing situation on a truly crappy team right out of the draft. Truly elite defenders could have managed it but he was not elite and will never be elite. However, under more reasonable circumstances, he could be better than he is right now. He was just asked for too much too soon.

And now with yet ANOTHER head coach, Buffalo can understandably have problems finding their groove. They do have a good young core and their young stars are a year older but they have to work under yet another system. That musical chair thing helps no one. Right now, I think they're trying to hit a homerun when they actually have to work on the basics and their identity once again. They would need a few of their youngsters to break out this season to make it.

Yeah my whole point was that you shouldn't trade away these 2nd pairing/2nd line guys just because they didn't turn out elite. Even tho Risto isn't a top pairing D, he could still be a solid 2nd pair offensive defenseman in a well balanced team. Teams need guys like him. What's the alternative?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
A lot of hot takes in this thread and I'm not a Sabres fan. Dahlin and Eichel are both impressive already. Kreuger should be a good coach for them. If the team can get some more good young depth players then they'll be a playoff team.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think they've got two foundation pieces you need at critical positions. Those are very hard to get and the Sabres have them. The problem is the rest of the team past the Eichel-Skinner scoring threat and when Dahlin is on the ice.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
There's honestly not much they can do, the top half of the Atlantic is pretty tough and a lot of their players are still young. But they are building the right way. They should just keep stockpiling prospects. They should be a serious threat to not only make the playoffs but do some real damage by 2021-22.

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Yeah my whole point was that you shouldn't trade away these 2nd pairing/2nd line guys just because they didn't turn out elite. Even tho Risto isn't a top pairing D, he could still be a solid 2nd pair offensive defenseman in a well balanced team. Teams need guys like him. What's the alternative?

Yeah, Risto and a healthy Bogosian are the closest thing they have to shutdown defenders, which is meh, and they could make a solid second-pairing but Bogosian is ALWAYS an injury risk and it's not gonna get better as he grows older. Offensive depth is gonna depend mainly on the kids though I'm sure the Sabres would love to jettison Okposo's $6M AAV. Buffalo's gonna have a lot of UFAs next year so maybe some are gonna be especially motivated this year.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think they are planning to get there but I think everyone would have to admit that when they drafted Eichel they weren't thinking of 4 more seasons without the playoffs. The tank failed, which is good. Always root against tanking.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Yeah, Risto and a healthy Bogosian are the closest thing they have to shutdown defenders, which is meh, and they could make a solid second-pairing but Bogosian is ALWAYS an injury risk and it's not gonna get better as he grows older. Offensive depth is gonna depend mainly on the kids though I'm sure the Sabres would love to jettison Okposo's $6M AAV. Buffalo's gonna have a lot of UFAs next year so maybe some are gonna be especially motivated this year.

Ristolainen is like Myers in that he's good offensively but doesn't get enough criticism for his defense just because he's big. He's never really been a well balanced defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad