Do the Sabres ever plan on making the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Theyre pretty much icing the same mediocre roster they have the last couple years. Literally their whole defence core is just a bunch of offensive guys that are all below average defensively, must as well just ice 5 forwards all night. They have 3 true top 6 forwards and I dont think Eichel is the guy thats good enough to lead a team anywhere. So what are the Sabres really trying to do? Do they plan on being relevant any time soon?

Reactions: Lilou

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Eichel and Dahlin are future franchise players. Sabres' biggest problem is contuinity. Ristolainen for example is a great young player, but after drafting Dahlin, the Sabres have tried to part ways with him. Why? A succesful team is more than just the 1C and 1D. Front office needs to learn that two guys can't win you the Stanley Cup. Quality depth, proper developing of prospects and good goaltending are all problems that need to be solved as soon as possible if this team is ever going to win. Adding Skinner was a good start. Trading Ristolainen will do nothing good for this team. Depth, depth, depth, depth.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Dahlia and Eichel are GREAT pieces to build around

I think Eichel is like Tavares, Seguin or Stamkos. Hes not good enough to lead a team but is an excellent support guy. Also, like Tavares he seems to live off draft hype rather than his actual play. Dahlin has done absolutely nothing yet.

Reactions: Khelandros

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Eichel and Dahlin are future franchise players. Sabres' biggest problem is contuinity. Ristolainen for example is a great young player, but after drafting Dahlin, the Sabres have tried to part ways with him. Why? A succesful team is more than just the 1C and 1D. Front office needs to learn that two guys can't win you the Stanley Cup. Quality depth, proper developing of prospects and good goaltending are all problems that need to be solved as soon as possible if this team is ever going to win. Adding Skinner was a good start. Trading Ristolainen will do nothing good for this team. Depth, depth, depth, depth.

Ristolainen isnt good at what he’s supposed to do tho. Their whole dcore is offensive guys that cant defend. They need a guy like Pesce, Muzzin or Manson. 2 of them actually.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I think Eichel is like Tavares, Seguin or Stamkos. Hes not good enough to lead a team but is an excellent support guy. Also, like Tavares he seems to live off draft hype rather than his actual play. Dahlin has done absolutely nothing yet.

Done absolutely nothing? How many 18yo defensemen have put up 40+ pts in the last like 20 years?

Eichel is better than any C, and arguably forward, on the Blues and they just won the cup sooo

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Seriously though, yeah we won't be a playoff team again this year, but there is still hope for the future (but again, that has been the saying for too long now).

We have 3 established top-6 forwards but guys like Cozens and Mittelstadt still have a ton of potential. Plus Olofsson could prove to be a true top-6 forward as soon as this year for us.

On the backend I agree we have a lot of offensive guys. But personally, I have hope for any group lead by Dahlin. Montour and Miller were great adds IMO and legit top-4 guys. Jokiharju should be a great top-4 add down the road too. Risto is stil la question mark but still here and something. Our prospect defensive depth is near the top of the league (Jokiharju, Pilut, Johnson, Samuelsson, Laakssonen, Borgen, etc). That is deep.

We have one of the best goalie prospects in the game in UPL.

It's rough now, but there is still hope.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Don't think Eichel is the problem but he has been underwhelming so far.

chi777

Feb 23, 2006
Our D should be better than last year but it's too many of a certain type of d-man. We need a Vlasic type that specializes in the shutdown role. Or find a stand-on-your-head type of goalie which we also don't have.

I think this year we creep a little bit closer to a wild card but our division has to may high performing teams to jump over to get in with what we have on our roster.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Your takes on Eichel and Dahlin are god awful like most of the drivel you usually spew but I agree the defense is pretty unbalanced and it is disappointing they didn’t add more up front.

Trading O’Reilly set the franchise back a couple of years. Right now we’re waiting on Mittelstadt/Cozens/Thompson/Asplund to establish themselves in the coming years to bolster the top 9. Victor Olofsson looks like a gem right now.

Another bottom 8 finish is likely.

Reactions: Dominance

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah and Krueger is a really odd hire, especially after the Bylsma and Housley disasters. Guy's been out of the hockey loop for years and he never showed any especially good coaching prowess at this level even when he was in the loop. Seems like it's very high risk / high reward, and there were much safer choices available this summer.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Yeah and Krueger is a really odd hire, especially after the Bylsma and Housley disasters. Guy's been out of the hockey loop for years and he never showed any particularly good coaching prowess even when he was in the loop. Seems like it's very high risk / high reward, and there were much safer choices available this summer.

I honestly think, since Kruger gor fair results in EDM, he would be great with Buffalo.

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
When you have Eichel and Dahlin, you have a chance.

I think Sabres will surprise people this season. Look on the bright side, you're not the Oilers.

Reactions: Mitts888

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Your takes on Eichel and Dahlin are god awful like most of the drivel you usually spew but I agree the defense is pretty unbalanced and it is disappointing they didn’t add more up front.

Trading O’Reilly set the franchise back a couple of years. Right now we’re waiting on Mittelstadt/Cozens/Thompson/Asplund to establish themselves in the coming years to bolster the top 9. Victor Olofsson looks like a gem right now.

Another bottom 8 finish is likely.

What did I say about Eichel or Dahlin isnt true? Dahlin isnt fully developed, Eichel has been a disappointment seeing as how he was being labled generational when he was drafted.

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
What did I say about Eichel or Dahlin isnt true? Dahlin isnt fully developed, Eichel has been a disappointment seeing as how he was being labled generational when he was drafted.

82 points in 77 games is disappointing? Mathews is considered a top 5 player and hasn't even hit that mark yet. Him and mathews are on the same pace. Personally, I'd take eichel.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
82 points in 77 games is disappointing? Mathews is considered a top 5 player and hasn't even hit that mark yet. Him and mathews are on the same pace. Personally, I'd take eichel.

Matthews is the best 5v5 scorer in the league and can produce at the same rate no matter who his linemate is. Sabres fans always make excuses for Eichel saying he needs good linemates.

Reactions: bionic

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec

I've always liked Ristolainen. Problem is he was thrust into a top-pairing situation on a truly crappy team right out of the draft. Truly elite defenders could have managed it but he was not elite and will never be elite. However, under more reasonable circumstances, he could be better than he is right now. He was just asked for too much too soon.

And now with yet ANOTHER head coach, Buffalo can understandably have problems finding their groove. They do have a good young core and their young stars are a year older but they have to work under yet another system. That musical chair thing helps no one. Right now, I think they're trying to hit a homerun when they actually have to work on the basics and their identity once again. They would need a few of their youngsters to break out this season to make it.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Same PPG as Matthews last season and it has gone up every year.....

Matthews doesnt need good linemates to be successful and is the best 5v5 scorer in the league. Matthews is also good in all areas of the game, Eichel is more like a gazelle. Looks nice cause hes the flashier player but cant perform when space gets tighter for him like Matthews can.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
sure Buffalo will likely miss the playoffs again, but I think they had a good offseason. making smart minor moves to improve the team is a good approach. They have a good core and things will turn around eventually, no need to make huge moves for the sake of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad