Do the Sabres ever plan on making the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
They've improved their defense, but lack of secondary scoring was their big issue last year.

If Mittlestadt and Johansson manage to get 40-50 points I think they stand a chance at getting to the playoffs.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016
I think rebuild 2.0 looks kinda strong.

Eichel is underrated and is still improving.
Reinhardt is still improving. 64 points last year and had some really good pre season games from what I saw. Should flirt with 70 this year if healthy.
Dahlin is almost certainly still improving. 55+ points this year most likely.
Skinner is an excellent top 6er. And may finally establish himself as a 60+ pointer.
Miller is a solid player that they just added.

This already look kind of good I think. Now, add Olofsson who honestly looks like a real steal. Potential late bloomer star player honestly. As a Swede, Im pretty exeted to see what he can do this season.

Not too sold on Middlestad as the potential 2c. Hasn't really impressed me thus far. Could still prove me wrong.

If one of Hutton and Ullmark can take the next step they are in a really good position to do some damage in a couple of years or so. They have a small chance to make the playoffs already this year.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot about Johansson. Another top 6 forward.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The goaltending is a huge questionmark. Carter Hutton is a backup ( a pretty good one at that ) and Ullmark hasn't exactly looked like a starting caliber goalie either. They've got a pretty good prospect in Luukkonen . Hopefully he can become a #1 down the line. Their current tandem i don't think can get it done.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The Sabres are improving too slowly IMO. Their fans keep saying "hey look, our team is better than last year" but forget that other teams prospects are improving also. NJ, Florida & NYR who were all non-playoff teams added pieces this year. For every step forward the Sabres seem to take, the rest of the league takes 2.

I think they should blow it up and restart rebuild 3.0.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The Sabres are on the right path and could be a powerhouse in a few more seasons if they manage their contracts properly. Dahlin is going to win multiple Norris' over his career and Championships are normally won from the back out.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I don’t think their goaltending is good enough to get them in unless Ullmark finally takes next step.

Not to mention, they’re competing against the Bolts, Leafs, Bruins, and a MUCH improved Panthers team for a spot. I don’t believe 5 teams from the Atlantic will make the playoffs, I believe it will be a 4-4 split with the metro and the Atlantic both getting a wildcard team in, so IMO the Sabres are on the outside looking in this season

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Im curious why the optimism for Krueger? I could understand a wild card opinion that could go either way, but the guy coached the Oilers for less than a minute, a hockey advisor (whatever that is) for the Canadian Olympic team, Team Europe in a gimmicky tournament, and a lot of soccer.

But we already are optimistic he can turn around a franchise that has been garbage for a decade. Ok...

My whole take is this:

I think we can all agree that they wont beat any of the following:

Bruins
Maple Leafs
Lightning

So they are competing for the Wild Card. For simplicity I will assume the same standings for the top 3 of the metro, so Caps, Isles, and Pens are in. So now the Wild Card, the Sabres need to be better than 8 of the following teams:

Panthers
Habs
Hurricanes
Flyers
Devils
Rangers
Red Wings
Senators
Blue Jackets

The Senators, Red Wings, and Blue Jackets are the only ones I would say the Sabres can safely beat in the Standings. Habs is arguable. The rest I dont think they can touch.

So why are they doing short term moves to rise from the bottom 5 to the bottom 10. Suck some more and get some more high end talent on ELC's under your belt and compete in 3-4 years. Tank the right way.

Last edited:

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
I don’t think their goaltending is good enough to get them in unless Ullmark finally takes next step.

Not to mention, they’re competing against the Bolts, Leafs, Bruins, and a MUCH improved Panthers team for a spot. I don’t believe 5 teams from the Atlantic will make the playoffs, I believe it will be a 4-4 split with the metro and the Atlantic both getting a wildcard team in, so IMO the Sabres are on the outside looking in this season

Yeah the way I see it is

Tampa
Boston
Toronto
Florida

Washinton
Carolina
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia

With Montreal, NY Rangers and New Jersey fighting until the end. I think the Islanders, Sabres, Blue Jackets, Senators and Red Wings are out of the picture by December-January. The teams are so much weaker than the ones listed above.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
There's no reason why they can't make the playoffs.

Everyone penciling Tampa/Toronto/Boston in the top 3 spots are assuming nobody gets injured. No one thought the Islanders would get in last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad