Do the Red Wings break through?

Do the Red Wings break through?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is an annual poll that I do in the summer and it always includes the Buffalo Sabres and Ottawa Senators, last year almost included Detroit too but I held off for 1 more year year.

Well now that Iliya Samsonov had another meltdown and single handily blew it against Detroit, the Red Wings have 87 points and are tied for the final wildcard spot so I want to know do they do it?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I feel like they have more chance of not making it than making it at this point between the tiebreakers and the PHI/WAS game

the Wings NEED at least 3 points in their 2 remaining games and that's just the minimum, 3 won't be enough if Pittsburgh wins their last 2 or Washington also gets 3 points in their last 2 and even 4 won't be enough if Washington wins their last 2 and the Islanders win at least one of their last two

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I feel like they have more chance of not making it than making it at this point between the tiebreakers and the PHI/WAS game

the Wings NEED at least 3 points in their 2 remaining games and that's just the minimum, 3 won't be enough if Pittsburgh wins their last 2 or Washington also gets 3 points in their last 2 and even 4 won't be enough if Washington wins their last 2 and the Islanders win at least one of their last two

It's coming down to the last game for both Detroit and Washington what's better than that?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

It's coming down to the last game for both Detroit and Washington what's better than that?

EC WC2 is a wild race, coming down to wire

It is and I LOVE it.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I hope they do. I like their current makeup more than the Caps. They could do some damage to a top team.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Detroit was my off-season pick of the trio to make it this season, but honestly, I'd like the Pens to make it over them. I want to see Sid and EK in the playoffs.

A promising start, some good stretches, but overall they've been slightly disappointing. Giving up too many goals.

But if it's them or the Caps, then yeah for sure. Anyone but the Caps. Love me some Ovi, but I'd have zero interest to watch that team play in the playoffs.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
We all know how this ends.

Detroit and Washington are both gonna win, and Detroit's gonna get f***ed because Washington loses more in OT.

Reactions: wetcoast

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Nope.

I mean I think they will beat Montreal tonight, but also think Washington will win against the Flyers.

They'll also be worse when/if Kane leaves

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
We all know how this ends.

Detroit and Washington are both gonna win, and Detroit's gonna get f***ed because Washington loses more in OT.
Detroit will lose in that scenario, because they will have less regulation wins, not because they lose less in OT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Detroit will los in that scenario, because they will have less regulation wins, not because they lose less in OT.
Explain for the class what happens if just one of the circled losses move one column to the left.

1713285669011.png

If you're going to be pedantic, make sure that you're in fact countering what was said.

To date Washington has lost 42 games and Detroit has lost 41. Due to the fact that more of Washington's losses occurred in OT, they tied in points. IE "because Washington loses more in OT."

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Explain for the class what happens if just one of the circled losses move one column to the left.

View attachment 852810

If you're going to be pedantic, make sure that you're in fact countering what was said.

To date Washington has lost 42 games and Detroit has lost 41. Due to the fact that more of Washington's losses occurred in OT, they tied in points. IE "because Washington loses more in OT."
Who cares lol, regulation wins is the first tiebreaker.
There are 7 tie breaker rules, any kind of loss is not part of the 7. So it’s useless information, in regards to who gets in.

First tie breaker Detroit is 4 wins behind, to trigger the second tie breaker.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I mean, already having clinched would be much better IMO as my heart is about to explode from stress but otherwise it is exciting yeah

Nope.

I mean I think they will beat Montreal tonight, but also think Washington will win against the Flyers.

They'll also be worse when/if Kane leaves
While having his moments early on, he’s been hurting the team more than helping the last 7-8 games or so. I think his hip is really starting to bother him because he’s barely skating anymore

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Washington is such a snooze I hope Detroit or Pittsburgh get in.
That’s one thing you can’t say about Detroit.

They’ll either be up 4 goals and lose 5-4 or be down 4-1 and score in the last seconds to tie it (and then lose in OT)

lol no. Washington will win tonight and the Wings finish 9th, as they deserve.
You must be absolutely FUMING at the possibility of Detroit making it eh?

How’s the Ottawa >>> Wings predictions working out for you this season again?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Who cares lol, regulation wins is the first tiebreaker.
There are 7 tie breaker rules, any kind of loss is not part of the 7. So it’s useless information, in regards to who gets in.

First tie breaker Detroit is 4 wins behind, to trigger the second tie breaker.

NHL logic: It's better to lose games in OT than win games in OT.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
That’s one thing you can’t say about Detroit.

They’ll either be up 4 goals and lose 5-4 or be down 4-1 and score in the last seconds to tie it (and then lose in OT)

You must be absolutely FUMING at the possibility of Detroit making it eh?

How’s the Ottawa >>> Wings predictions working out for you this season again?
At the end of the season, neither team will be in the playoffs. The only difference between the Sens and the Wings will be their draft position.

Reactions: Bileur

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
At the end of the season, neither team will be in the playoffs. The only difference between the Sens and the Wings will be their draft position.
Whatever helps you sleep at night

Wings Fans have been watching playoff level and important games all the way to the literal Last game of the season, regardless of tonight’s results.

Ottawa hasn’t had a meaningful game since what? November?

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupNazi

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Haha, the logic is actually who has more regulation wins, but I don't like the loser points, should be zero for losing in OT or SO imo.

Here's my issue with it, Washington has lost more games in OT than Detroit, which is the only reason they're tied with Detroit. The tiebreaker doesn't include overtime wins, so Washington beats out Detroit.

Essentially, Washington gets rewarded for more of their losses coming in OT while Detroit gets punished for more of their wins coming in OT. That's ass backwards, IMO.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Here's my issue with it, Washington has lost more games in OT than Detroit, which is the only reason they're tied with Detroit. The tiebreaker doesn't include overtime wins, so Washington beats out Detroit.

Essentially, Washington gets rewarded for more of their losses coming in OT while Detroit gets punished for more of their wins coming in OT. That's ass backwards, IMO.
No regulation wins trumps everything, then regulation plus OT wins is the next tiebreaker.

Losses is not listed in any tiebreaker.

Detroit has 31 points gained in extra time, Washington has 27 points in extra time.
Washington wins more in regulation and gets any tiebreaker as they should.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Is it?

Closing out a team in regulation is more definitive. OT is more arbitrary. You don't think regulation wins ought to carry some sort of advantage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad