Do the Oilers really need a big center?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Some argue that Ryan Murray would have been the better pick at #1 than Yak.

Hey I'd admit that.. but having Murray over Yak wouldn't change where we are now.
We don't make the playoffs with Murray, you can't convince me of that.

Though perhaps they get a pass on Murray if in fact they got veto'd. I can 't say for sure but I'll Give you the point.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Alas, it looks like 2 of Oilers' first overall picks (RNH, YAkupov) may end up being the weakest 1st overalls of the past decade. IMagine, if this team sucked as bad in 2008-2010. Could have all of Stamkos, Tavares, and HAll. :X

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Not building down the middle instead drafting a whole line. Good way to not have depth.

Middle most important followed by D. I don't really care about weak or strong drafting years when you are drafting 1st. It takes more than just being able to score 100 pts to win cups.

But then again it's hard to know what choices you'll get for drafting when you decide to tank.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Hey have no problem.. just back it up.

You got some better pickes with yer 20/20 glasses?

seguin/landeskog/Yakupov

Honestly think we're a better team?

Your argument is weak. We drafted the best players. They just aren't that good.. and it sucks.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
The reason I like Leon over Bennett is not his size it's his ability to win battles and maintain possession on the boards out team does not have that and we need it. I believe that Leon could be the absolute perfect center for yak. A guy that fights down low till he can make a pass back up top for a waiting yak 1 timer. My concern would be defense. But if we match him vs easy minutes early in his career using rnh and Gordon as our two shut down lines (assuming Eakins learns how to ****ing line match) it could be awrsome

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
I'm liking Jacob Trouba better than anyone else from that draft right now, and I can't remember even a single person saying he should go 1st overall.

That's the difficulty with draft projections. When players are drafted it is often too early in their development to project what kind of players they will become. I look at it a little differently. One of the keys to successful drafting is the successful development of players. Detroit has its player development very well honed. Edmonton is becoming that way, but it has taken time, largely because of the exodus of players that took place after the 2006 Cup final. Our young players have often been forced into overly demanding situations, where it is difficult for them to thrive. Without strong veteran leadership and support, the result is often a loss of player confidence. Player confidence is hugely important for the long-term success of young players. We've seen it numerous times on the Oilers, where a player comes into the league and performs very well, but production trails off after a season or two. The loss of confidence and reduced production is often called the sophomore slump, but it sometimes lingers on for players. Gagner springs to mind, as one of numerous examples. What we must remember is that it takes time for players to establish themselves in this league and development rarely occurs in a straight line for players. It is a much more difficult process for players to do so without adequate veteran leadership and proper development. The situation of players not performing to expectations doesn't happen as often when players are properly developed. Our players, many of whom are victims of our system, sadly bear the brunt of fan abuse. Our system is improving, however; we our light years ahead of where we were a few years ago. We are reaching a point where our prospects are being properly developed by coming up through the system, but it has come on the backs of a lot of talented young men being victims of circumstance. Hopefully, their talent can carry them over. I think that we are seeing mostly positive signs in that regard, but it has been a forced and painful learning curve, for players and for fans.

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
Alas, it looks like 2 of Oilers' first overall picks (RNH, YAkupov) may end up being the weakest 1st overalls of the past decade. IMagine, if this team sucked as bad in 2008-2010. Could have all of Stamkos, Tavares, and HAll. :X

Or if we really brought the suck last year we could have had a shot at MacKinnon.

Now on the topic at hand. Watching the playoffs I can honestly say this team would get absolutely destroyed out there once the whistles are put away. You thought Gagner was on his ass a lot during the regular season, imagine the playoffs. Being all small and skill will get you is what Vancouver got when Boston beat the snot out of them and treated the twins like a pair of punching bags a couple years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad