Do the Oilers make the playoffs?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The past 11 years have made pessimists of us all, maybe, but let's be frank here: Barring major and multiple serious injuries to McDavid, Talbot, and Draisaitl, the Oilers are definitely making the playoffs and should be considered a favorite contender to win the division and challenge (if not win) the conference. I don't see how there is any question about that.

Only two teams in the west had more wins than Edmonton last season (Chicago & Minnesota). Chicago are still a contender, for sure, but my feeling is that they have peaked with their current core. They should be close with Edmonton in the regular season, but I'd be a little surprised if the Oilers don't finish ahead of them. Minnesota will again be a top team next year (maybe ahead of Edmonton again), but with Boudreau coaching they should have another first-round playoff exit (sorry, Bruce), so it doesn't matter.

Anaheim is the Pacific division team the Oilers have their sights on, but I think their ship is starting to sail. Getzlaf is a force and will be great again, but he's not going to be any better than he was before, at 32. Kesler is injured, will miss games, and is not getting any younger (and only put up 58 points last year). Corey Perry is in decline. Rakell is maybe the one guy who's likely to put up career numbers next year. The Ducks are quite a good team, still, and have that veteran 'savvy', but that's their only edge over Edmonton, which is a deeper team, and I think that edge was rounded off after last spring's playoff. When the Oilers were playing full-on aggressive hockey in the Anaheim series, they were BY FAR the better team and the Ducks could not handle them. Hopefully, a lesson was learned about not taking the foot off the gas pedal, and I think the Oilers will start to handle Anaheim as the season progresses.

San Jose is entering a decline, finally -- take my word for it. St.Louis I do not see challenging Edmonton -- they just do not have the depth.

One team that worries me a little is Nashville. They -- and Calgary -- are like wild-card teams that could be really great, or could crash and burn. But I guess Nashville are going to be strong next year. Calgary could go either way. Winnipeg and Dallas are similarly hard to predict next season, but I do not think the Jets are quite ready for prime-time yet. Dallas could be due a 'comeback' season, however.

I guess I predict the West will settle-down something like this (barring unforeseeable major injuries, which of course will happen to some teams):
1. Minnesota
1. Edmonton
1. Chicago
1. Nashville
(those teams will be 1st to 4th in some order)
5. Anaheim
6. Calgary
7./8. St.Louis / Dallas
9.--15. the rest

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I wouldn't sleep on Winnipeg. They could very well be better than Calgary if Mason has a decent-to-good season in net. They are more talented full stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad